• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Taos Ski Weeks

alison wong

Angel Diva
In addition to perks like free demo skis, there are a few other differences for Ladies Ski Week. For a regular Ski Week, there is a "ski off" first thing on Sunday morning. For new participants, can do it on Monday morning. For the Ladies Ski Week, the groups were formed by self-selection for those who were doing it for the first time. .

No ski off is the reason I decided to do the regular ski week. I am neither good at self assessment nor self selection. I prefer to do a ski off, have someone else assess me, then assign me to a proper level.

One reason I like the Taos ski week is, students take turns to follow instructors on a run. They signal you by tapping on your pole and say "you follow me". From following an instructor, I realized it was not an easy task to follow someone turn by turn, I always ended up out of sync and then "bumped" into my instructor.

marzNC

Angel Diva
No ski off is the reason I decided to do the regular ski week. I am neither good at self assessment nor self selection. I prefer to do a ski off, have someone else assess me, then assign me to a proper level.
What is fascinating with instructors who are very experienced with movement analysis is how quickly they can assess technical ability while watching just a few turns on a groomer. What is harder for any instructor to learn is what is going on inside someone's head during a lesson. It took me a few seasons to learn what to tell an instructor early on the first time about my background, interests, and experience taking lessons. They don't need or want lots of details, but there are key points that are helpful. For instance, if someone hasn't taken a lesson for 30 years then the approach that will work best is probably different than for someone of similar ability who has been taking lessons as an adult several times for 5 seasons in a row.

alison wong

Angel Diva
What is fascinating with instructors who are very experienced with movement analysis is how quickly they can assess technical ability while watching just a few turns on a groomer.

That's very true. My ski friend, Eunice, not a ski nut like me, not big on taking lessons either. She decided last minute to tag along with me to Taos last year.

After first day, she commented: "They are very accurate in assigning the level and group. I don't know how they did that.... Because the other 2 guys in my class are just like me, sometimes they wedge into a turn, and can finish in parallel. Other times, they can start parallel and finish in parallel. We are very similar in that regard!"

Her astute observation and remark stuck in my mind ...

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What is fascinating with instructors who are very experienced with movement analysis is how quickly they can assess technical ability while watching just a few turns on a groomer. What is harder for any instructor to learn is what is going on inside someone's head during a lesson. It took me a few seasons to learn what to tell an instructor early on the first time about my background, interests, and experience taking lessons. They don't need or want lots of details, but there are key points that are helpful. For instance, if someone hasn't taken a lesson for 30 years then the approach that will work best is probably different than for someone of similar ability who has been taking lessons as an adult several times for 5 seasons in a row.
Is that me you're referring to?:smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is that me you're referring to?:smile:
While you are one of the people I've taken lessons with who hadn't worked with an instructor for a long time, the first advanced/expert skier I did that with was Bill. Did a lesson with him and my other ski buddy, Jason, at JH with @snoWYmonkey. By then I'd skied with both of them enough that I provided basic intro information to her early on. She also simplified the process of learning about us by letting us know she was around the afternoon before the lesson. She also asked more questions during the first gondola ride up. How she worked with me, Jason, and Bill was somewhat different and our experience, or lack of experience, taking lessons as an advanced skier was clearly a factor. It was most obvious when we did drills on the groomers for the first couple runs.

The difference for a Taos Ski Week is that the instructors know they have at least 4, if not the full 6, days to work with a student. That increases the likelihood that a fundamental skill that requires doing something different than an old habit will get ingrained enough to stick after the Ski Week is over.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That increases the likelihood that a fundamental skill that requires doing something different than an old habit will get ingrained enough to stick after the Ski Week is over.
One can only hope.

alison wong

Angel Diva
the $270 doesn't cover lift tickets right?

Correct.

Most participants tip instructors. Some groups gather money together as a group tip. For other groups, individuals give the tip to the instructor at end of the week.

Plus tips.

Taos is on MCP.

For folks w/o MCP, reference below 2 links:
1) https://www.skitaos.com/season-passes-spring-summer-2018/
They had a promotional sale in July (ended July 31st). Website info is not updated currently.

2) https://www.taosskivalley.com/play/winter-activities/lift-tickets-season-passes
Website info is not updated currently.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo! And here I was thinking there was no good pass option for me since Taos will most likely be the only place on the MCP I will get to this year. And before I had no strong reason for the Ikon. But with a ski week in the works, and several places in New England on the Ikon it is all making more sense.

Any one know if the current prices will go up at all on the Ikon, or is this the final price? In other words, should I buy now, or is it ok to wait?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Woohoo! And here I was thinking there was no good pass option for me since Taos will most likely be the only place on the MCP I will get to this year. And before I had no strong reason for the Ikon. But with a ski week in the works, and several places in New England on the Ikon it is all making more sense.

Any one know if the current prices will go up at all on the Ikon, or is this the final price? In other words, should I buy now, or is it ok to wait?
Given that it's the very first year for Ikon, much harder to predict what will happen in the next few months in terms of price and availability. While another price increase has not be mentioned, it could still happen during the early fall.

Keep in mind that the Epic pass disappears well before the big snowstorms start in the Rockies. The business model is to get money in the bank before anyone has any idea if it's going to be a good season or a low snow season at the various destination resorts on the multi-resort passes.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty exciting that Taos is on Ikon. I'd been considering the ski week but adding the lift ticket on seemed painful in addition to all the nights of lodging. Now... trying to see if I can manage it with grad school timing... would love this kind of repeated reinforcement and training. Thanks for all the detailed trip reports!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Pretty exciting that Taos is on Ikon. I'd been considering the ski week but adding the lift ticket on seemed painful in addition to all the nights of lodging. Now... trying to see if I can manage it with grad school timing... would love this kind of repeated reinforcement and training. Thanks for all the detailed trip reports!
For future reference, the inexpensive way to handle lodging for Taos is to stay in town. Plenty of inexpensive motels and condos available.

Depending on the week, there can be deals for 1BR condos at TSV or within a mile of the base. A friend got a deal from Hotwire last season. @alison wong found an AirBnB deal but that usually requires being willing to book during the summer because the less expensive properties go fast.

Are you in DC? The multi-week program at Liberty is quite good from what I hear. Meet on weekends for a month I think. For the cost of a trip out west, even setting up a few private lessons at Massanutten, Whitetail, or Liberty based on a recommendation for a L3 instructor could make more sense while in grad school. Really do not need much terrain to improve fundamentals. I learned that over a few seasons taking lessons at Massanutten. That's where I started learning how to deal with bumps. Not as exciting as Taos, but well worth the time and money.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point re: Liberty. I had an amazing L3 instructor there the one time I took a lesson -- I forget about it as an option a bit since comparatively, I get bored on the terrain when not taking a lesson, but was already planning on being there every other weekend or so during the season. My girls have the mountain passports.

Their program might be a great idea. I'm not sure it would help me with my lack of off-piste skills, but I know there's plenty more I could learn. Could definitely use some bumps refresher. I started last season as a "strong level 6" per the L3 at Liberty, and I definitely improved some over the season, so maybe a wimpy level 7 :smile:? I was an early expert skier as a teen, then took awhile off. This is my 3rd season back -- with the first being very light skiing. Things changed a lot. I'll look into Liberty's program, might be a great opportunity to improve technique, and not so far from home in Virginia. Thanks for the mention.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family and I are actually headed to Taos this year. I was hoping to make a ski week work, but we won't be down quite long enough and we decided to spend our money on a day of childcare for our kids so that my husband and I can actually ski together for the first time in way too long. Its a super good deal, though, and I would love to make it down there to do it at some point! I'm actually really interested in the ski off because I like the idea of someone else assessing my skills.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Good point re: Liberty. I had an amazing L3 instructor there the one time I took a lesson -- I forget about it as an option a bit since comparatively, I get bored on the terrain when not taking a lesson, but was already planning on being there every other weekend or so during the season. My girls have the mountain passports.

Their program might be a great idea. I'm not sure it would help me with my lack of off-piste skills, but I know there's plenty more I could learn. Could definitely use some bumps refresher. I started last season as a "strong level 6" per the L3 at Liberty, and I definitely improved some over the season, so maybe a wimpy level 7 :smile:? I was an early expert skier as a teen, then took awhile off. This is my 3rd season back -- with the first being very light skiing. Things changed a lot. I'll look into Liberty's program, might be a great opportunity to improve technique, and not so far from home in Virginia. Thanks for the mention.
I found that the more I learned about how to improve fundamentals, the less bored I am skiing at small Mid-A hills like Massanutten. Especially after working with a L3 instructor often enough to learn how to use the Mnut terrain to practice skills that are directly related to off-piste skiing at big mountains.

How far are you from Massanutten? If you can ever get free on a Thu morning, Mnut has a 2-hour Ladies Clinic that's a very good deal. Can often end up a solo lesson for a group rate. Last season I did a semi-private lesson with a friend with the resident Examiner. We covered a complete range of fundamentals and it was very useful.

While it's true that mileage is necessary to improve at an advanced level for off-piste skiing, improving the related fundamentals is best done on groomers. Even at Alta, when I do lessons the few runs are always spent on groomers. That was one reason I didn't cancel my Taos trip last season even though it was clear that only groomers would be open that week. Also the reason I don't mind going back to Taos in January with friends, instead of waiting until Feb or Mar when there is will undoubtedly be more coverage on the black and double-black terrain.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family and I are actually headed to Taos this year. I was hoping to make a ski week work, but we won't be down quite long enough and we decided to spend our money on a day of childcare for our kids so that my husband and I can actually ski together for the first time in way too long. Its a super good deal, though, and I would love to make it down there to do it at some point! I'm actually really interested in the ski off because I like the idea of someone else assessing my skills.

Taos IMHO has some of the BEST Instructors ever! Maybe Take a semi-private with your husband. I think you'll be pleased. If you ask, I'm sure they will assess your skills as part of the lesson.. I hope you Enjoy the Mt!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Taos IMHO has some of the BEST Instructors ever! Maybe Take a semi-private with your husband. I think you'll be pleased. If you ask, I'm sure they will assess your skills as part of the lesson.. I hope you Enjoy the Mt!
During my first trip, my friend and I couldn't fit a Ski Week into our schedule. We did a group lesson instead. The number of L3 instructors in the line up for a Monday non-holiday week was impressive. Included a schoolmate of mine who is a long time Examiner. Price was very reasonable for a 2.5 hour "group" lesson that was just the two of us. Also have a 3-lesson package for under $200.

Taos uses a 10-point rating scale so a little different than the 9-point scale used by many American ski schools to separate people by ability group.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Interesting about the assessment part as we were not evaluated during the Womens Ski Week last season so hard to say where I would have ended up. Seems we were mostly grouped by what we were interested in doing and I guess skill played a factor as we were told there might be changes on the next day.... We had an addition to our group but didn't lose anyone - well until two different ladies got hurt during the week. @marzNC can speak to the group levels we were assigned to better...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna