• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Summit Stowe: Feb 27-March 1, 2022

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Forgive me. I'm grumpy after a week of Covid/forced isolation/exhaustion.
No worries. I didn't mean to insult you. It had nothing to do with you personally. It's the Women's Summit that surprises me.....

Feel better. Once again, apologize if I insulted you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Maybe, maybe not. You ski Epic resorts around Tahoe. Not the smaller independent mountains in California or Nevada that cater to local families. I would guess those ski areas have some Level 1 and Level 2 instructors who aren't advanced skiers/boarders yet.
Okay you guys win. I'm clueless out here.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Maybe, maybe not. You ski Epic resorts around Tahoe. Not the smaller independent mountains in California or Nevada that cater to local families. I would guess those ski areas have some Level 1 and Level 2 instructors who aren't advanced skiers/boarders yet.
I guess at the hefty price of lessons in big mountains in Tahoe (half day group lessons about $400-$500) I would expect my instructor to be advanced (or at least a better skier than I am).

It's fine. Once again, I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was more about the "PSIA Womens Summit."

marzNC

Angel Diva
I guess at the hefty price of lessons in big mountains in Tahoe (half day group lessons about $400-$500) I would expect my instructor to be advanced (or at least a better skier than I am).

It's fine. Once again, I didn't mean to offend anyone. It was more about the "PSIA Womens Summit."
Agree that at destination resorts, it's reasonable to expect instructors for adults to be at least Level 2 with 10+ years of experience. At Alta, often the adult group lessons are taught by very experienced Level 3 instructors. Or were pre-pandemic.

It look a while for me to learn enough about PSIA and what the Level 1/2/3 categories mean. Definitely not easy to guess. What's important is how well an instructor can teach for the terrain and ability level of their student(s). Quite different skiing requirements for instructors teaching kids, or teaching adult beginners compared to intermediates or advanced skiers.

newboots

Angel Diva
No, no - not offended. I just thought we had settled that it seems to be different between the East and the West. The resorts do hire intermediate skiers to teach beginner lessons here (and they are not deeply discounted lessons, either!). And in that other thread, it became clear that at times the Level 1 exam was used as a recruiting tool on at least one occasion. I was surprised when this first became apparent to me.

I'm not sure why this might be, although @liquidfeet said that it was difficult to recruit enough instructors to fill all the positions. I don't know why that would be different in the West, but perhaps it is.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No, no - not offended. I just thought we had settled that it seems to be different between the East and the West. The resorts do hire intermediate skiers to teach beginner lessons here (and they are not deeply discounted lessons, either!). And in that other thread, it became clear that at times the Level 1 exam was used as a recruiting tool on at least one occasion. I was surprised when this first became apparent to me.

I'm not sure why this might be, although @liquidfeet said that it was difficult to recruit enough instructors to fill all the positions. I don't know why that would be different in the West, but perhaps it is.
Honestly I know one instructor- expert skier level 1 instructor that taught at Sierra at Tahoe, then got her level 2 a year or so later. Once again expert skier. ( met her in Whistler). So I have nothing to go by but occasionally will follow instructors that are very good skiers…
But yes I get it now.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right but they were intermediate skiers ? PSIA instructors?
That's what baffles me.
Lots of ski instructors are intermediate skiers. The industry has been understaffed for years. Ski instructors often engage in continuous training to elevate their personal skill level. Their employers provide training for free. And if they join PSIA to get certification, they take courses from it for that same purpose.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The purpose of the PSIA Women's Summit is provide training for ski instructors that will lead to elevating their skill level. The coaches providing the training for the participants are not intermediates. The instructors pay PSIA for this educational event. Consider it "professional development" that workers in the field pay for.

Makes sense, right?

newboots

Angel Diva
Maybe I should add that I was in (more or less) the lowest-skilled group at the summit; I don't want to give a skewed perception. Virtually everyone at the Summit was an instructor, and a better skier than I. However, in my small group, my skills were similar to the other participants. I went to the event to improve my skills and to continue thinking about being an instructor.

Jilly

Staff member
In the Canadian system, most L1 are strong intermediates. They are usually teaching children, so advanced parallel techniques are not required. But they will need to up their game to get to L3. There are video's that explain what's expected for the different levels.

Back to the Summit - CSIA started about maybe 10 years ago doing a "Ladies Edge Camp". It was a week of skiing with the women L4's at Mont Ste Anne. That has since morphed into Women in Skiing. We have a National committee, facebook page and many events over the season. This year there were 1 day sessions at most hills in Ontario. And then 3 day "camps" at major ones, like Sun Peaks, Tremblant, Blue Mountain...I did a one day session in December. Didn't click with the course conductor and hated my day. But that happens. Had better days the next 2 that weren't women only.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...CSIA started about maybe 10 years ago doing a "Ladies Edge Camp". It was a week of skiing with the women L4's at Mont Ste Anne. That has since morphed into Women in Skiing. We have a National committee, facebook page and many events over the season. This year there were 1 day sessions at most hills in Ontario. And then 3 day "camps" at major ones, like Sun Peaks, Tremblant, Blue Mountain...I did a one day session in December. Didn't click with the course conductor and hated my day. But that happens. Had better days the next 2 that weren't women only.
Teaching involves personalities. I think of personalities as the filters through which the content flows. And there's content going in both directions, from teacher to learner and from learner to teacher. When the personalities don't "click" the content connection suffers.

It's hard to find the right ski instructor where there's no connection breakdown at all. Since instructors work on their skiing with so many trainers, too often that breakdown is big. I've had my times where the coach and I definitely didn't "click" too.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Report.

1. GENERAL
There must have been 200 participants along with a lot of high-level PSIA instructor-coaches at this event. We had a separate entire base lodge reserved for our use, but some members of the public saw the lodge was open (it's been closed this season) and came in anyway; that was no big deal. Most participants were PSIA members, all coaches were high level PSIA people, and all were women. The event was opened to non-members this year. Most attendants were middle-age or older, although there were some skiers in their 30s here and there. I didn't do a count, so I may be off in this.
2. COVID PRECAUTIONS
We filled the lodge. It was totally full in the mornings. There were lines for the women's bathroom. There was no way to do the 6' social distancing. On day one most wore masks. This number diminished over the next two days. At least that was my impression. I would be surprised if more than just a few people booted up in their cars. I found itt was a good feeling to almost act normal in a base lodge like in years past. My worries about getting Covid began to lower.
For the two evening talks, chairs were set up as if there were no Covid risk, and people were encouraged to wear masks. They did. I attended two of the afternoon indoor talks and one indoor dinner in the lodge; a few people wore masks but since food was available the masks tended to disappear.
Stowe required masks in the gondola on Monday, but had deleted the requirement on Tuesday. I saw very few persons on the three days wearing a genuine mask in the gondola. I did not bother; too much trouble with the helmet.
My roommate came down with Covid the day after leaving. I did not. I have no idea how one of us got it and the other didn't. We were both exposed to crowd-air every day in the lodge and the gondola.
3. INSTRUCTIONAL GROUPS
The way participants were matched to coaches was new compared to the PSIA instructional events I've attended in the past. There was a survey sent out through email to everyone ahead of time about what they wanted to get out of the event, and their comfort level for terrain. The survey results were used to group everyone into four groups. On the morning of day one the four groups met their teachers in the lodge. I think there were four or more teachers per group. Those teachers then split their skiers into smaller groups according to aggressiveness or goals, with 6-9 people per group leader ... and we headed out to ski. This seemed to work out fine. I will not be surprised if this process is adapted to other PSIA events. People could have moved to new groups by request if they were not satisfied with their group leaders, but I know this is sometimes socially difficult to pull off. I don't know to what extent people took advantage of this option.
4. CONDITIONS
It had snowed the previous weekend so Stowe had some new snow over the thaw-freeze glare ice beneath from previous warm weather and rain. Groomers had blended the new snow in, so groomed terrain was in pretty good shape. Winds had blown the new snow into the woods on the ungroomed terrain, so most of it was closed. Monday night and all Tuesday we got snow. Groomers got refreshed, and some of the ungroomed was opened. Tuesday night it snowed some more and Wednesday Stowe had everything open. Ungroomed terrain still had glare ice on the steep sections, and bumped up terrain had thin ice cover beneath the new snow so some granite and brush peeped through. This did not deter our hardy New England skiers. So for our three days we had good conditions.
5. EVENT FORMAT
We skied with our groups in the mornings, and had electives in the afternoons. The electives had titles, such as Mogul Madness or All-Terrain Skiing. There were afternoon indoor options in the lodge where we booted up as well. There were Sunday and Monday evening talks in the Stowflake Inn, where many participants stayed. We were given a pizza dinner Tuesday afternoon in the lodge, and a wrap-up talk with snacks on Wednesday afternoon.
6. TALKS and PRESENTATIONS and FREE FOOD
Sunday evening there was a keynote address by a former Olympic gold medal racer and PSIA instructor. She talked about her career in skiing. I skipped the Monday night talk; I don't remember what it was about. Mermer Blakeslee did a Tuesday afternoon "indoor elective" talk on how to ski in a performance setting where one's skiing is being evaluated and/or graded, such as when racing or when taking a PSIA exam for higher certification or placement on a PSIA educational team. She pointed out that learning/training/improving calls for different mindset than when actually performing at one's current skill level. If one brings the learning mindset to a performance event, the level of skiing will not be as high as it could be. She got into the details of how learning mode and performance mode differ. She kept us all laughing as she explained how the skier needs to train for performance skiing independently from training for learning. This talk was optional and I could have skied with an instructor that afternoon but I'm glad I went.
7. POUTINE
The lodge we were in has no functioning cafeteria because - well, Covid understaffing issues. But two food trucks were set up outside on Monday and Tuesday for our use; they disappeared Wednesday. I bought poutine on Monday for the first time since so many people praise this Canadian dish. Not something I'll repeat.
8. WHAT I LEARNED
I learned some things about my own skiing through personal feedback, and about how different teachers teach since I skied with two coaches. I also refreshed my bump skiing; it started out abysmal Monday morning and ended up just fine by Wednesday. Bump skiing was my hoped-for focus going to this event, and I wasn't disappointed thanks to Mother Nature coming to our rescue.
Here's a surprise thing I learned: I've assumed I was very good at side-slipping. But my group was given the task of side-slipping down a low pitch run with new snow on it. We were told to sideslip in a very straight line a good distance, and figure out what we had to do to keep that line straight. There wasn't much momentum to help us stay on our line, since the pitch was gentle and the snow built up beneath our skis. Keeping the line straight was surprisingly challenging. I controlled my line with ankle-action - opening and closing the ankles. Others did other things. Then we were told to do the same and go fast-slow-fast as we continued to slide-slip straight down this low pitch trail. That was even harder as the snow continued to pile up in front of our skis. Again, I worked with ankle-action - continuing with the opening and closing to keep the line straight, and ankle-tipping to adjust the speed of descent. Eye-opening!
The value of this exercise came into play the next morning when we entered a natural snow run which was quite steep at the top and it was totally covered with sheet ice. Those ankles did their thing and after fighting loose snow the previous afternoon, this ice was a piece of cake.
9. WOMEN'S SUMMIT NEXT YEAR
This event is an annual one, but it wasn't held the last two years. This year was the first time it's been done in the North East. Next year it will be somewhere in the North West.

So, I missed the original part of this thread and didn't realize non-PSIA members were invited! I actually skied at Stowe with family for the last 2 of those days. (I don't think I would really have chosen to go, bc I wouldn't have taken more time off work to ski unless it was with my family but still). Funny - I saw the demo tent & stopped by, but found out it was for a "private event"- y'all are lucky!

LOL at your poutine review!

Reading now your side-slipping exercise... my instructor did the same thing to us today and yes! So hard to side slip on a gentle pitch especially with fresh snow. I really need to work on that ankle movement (my instructor calls it the "pinky toe release" which is another way of thinking of it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna