• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Women's Ski Camp - Steamboat

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!

Going to Steamboat in February, bit the bullet and signed up for their three-day women's ski camp (see below). At age 67 (yikes! how did that happen!?), it's my first ever "ski camp" experience, and it's been many years since I've taken even a group lesson or (way back) experienced a Jeannie Thoren women-only ski demo/clinic.

If any other divas out there have been to this particular camp, I'd appreciate hearing about your (hopefully positive) experiences. I'm a solid intermediate/advanced skier who does not ski bumps (back/knee issues) or with a lot of speed; I prefer blue groomers but have occasionally skied an "easy" black on days that I'm feeling braver/more confident. Looking to improve my techniques and learn to ski with more confidence/less fear (as I've been crashed twice, I now will often wait to push off until a run is less crowded).

I'm familiar with Steamboat as my guy and I have been going there for 20+ years. Excited but also a bit anxious (as in, what have I done?!") about this adventure. Thanks for your input!

WOMEN'S SKI CAMP
Two of Steamboat’s Olympians, Deb Armstrong and Ann Battelle, host Steamboat’s women’s ski camps with certified experienced female coaches. Emphasis is on camaraderie, fun, and skill improvement. Steamboat pros create a positive atmosphere that maximizes learning.

The camp includes breakfast on the first day, lunch at Hazie's daily, a technical equipment session, First Tracks on days 2 and 3 (lower levels will have a morning indoor session), and culminate with a social cocktail gathering at the end of day 3 with women seminar participants. Plus, receive a variety of special deals and gifts sponsored by Steamboat Ski & Sport.

CLINIC DETAILS
DATES OFFERED: JAN 7 - 9, FEB 4 - 6, MAR 3 - 5, 2020
A motivational opening session with your host kicks off what is sure to be a great experience. Each day's activities run from 8:00am to 3:00pm. Small group sizes, "we focused" learning, and world class female instructors have contributed to the longevity of this 25 year-running program.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I haven’t done this particular camp, but every women’s clinic I’ve done has been great! There is so much camaraderie and it’s really fun to meet other ladies with the same passion. You have nothing to worry about, everyone is always really nice and supportive. Hope you have a great time, and do report back on your experience!!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi Divas!

Going to Steamboat in February, bit the bullet and signed up for their three-day women's ski camp (see below). At age 67 (yikes! how did that happen!?), it's my first ever "ski camp" experience, and it's been many years since I've taken even a group lesson or (way back) experienced a Jeannie Thoren women-only ski demo/clinic.

If any other divas out there have been to this particular camp, I'd appreciate hearing about your (hopefully positive) experiences. I'm a solid intermediate/advanced skier who does not ski bumps (back/knee issues) or with a lot of speed; I prefer blue groomers but have occasionally skied an "easy" black on days that I'm feeling braver/more confident. Looking to improve my techniques and learn to ski with more confidence/less fear (as I've been crashed twice, I now will often wait to push off until a run is less crowded).

I'm familiar with Steamboat as my guy and I have been going there for 20+ years. Excited but also a bit anxious (as in, what have I done?!") about this adventure. Thanks for your input!

WOMEN'S SKI CAMP
Two of Steamboat’s Olympians, Deb Armstrong and Ann Battelle, host Steamboat’s women’s ski camps with certified experienced female coaches. Emphasis is on camaraderie, fun, and skill improvement. Steamboat pros create a positive atmosphere that maximizes learning.

The camp includes breakfast on the first day, lunch at Hazie's daily, a technical equipment session, First Tracks on days 2 and 3 (lower levels will have a morning indoor session), and culminate with a social cocktail gathering at the end of day 3 with women seminar participants. Plus, receive a variety of special deals and gifts sponsored by Steamboat Ski & Sport.

CLINIC DETAILS
A motivational opening session with your host kicks off what is sure to be a great experience. Each day's activities run from 8:00am to 3:00pm. Small group sizes, "we focused" learning, and world class female instructors have contributed to the longevity of this 25 year-running program.
Sounds great ! And Steamboat is such a fun mountain!

marzNC

Angel Diva
No experience with lessons at Steamboat, but here's what I've learned taking lessons at assorted locations in recent years. I was an adventurous advanced intermediate when I started taking lessons from very experienced instructors about ten years ago. Have done both private and group lesson as an advanced skier in the last 5-6 years.

It helps to tell the instructor as much as you can about your interests and learning style. For instance, I'm a visual learner. Much prefer following an instructor to mimic their motion than listen to a technical description about how a hip moves. Other Divas like more words before they start a drill.

An advantage of a group clinic is that others may ask questions that haven't occurred to you. I learn a lot by observing how an instructor works with someone else. I can see what the skier is doing before a drill, and what seems to be different (good or bad) after they try something suggested by the instructor. Might not register the first time, but starts making sense later on.

@santacruz skier hadn't had a lesson in ages when she did a Taos Women's Ski Week a couple years ago. She was in my group. She had a really good attitude about trying drills and giving the instructor feedback. We also had another senior of similar ability and lack of lessons. The other skier took until Day 3 (of 6) to start paying attention to the instructor during the entire 2-hr lesson. For example, when the instructor is making turns on the way to the base of a lift on a relatively easy slop, she expected the students to try following her tracks. Not terribly exciting, but sometimes harder than it looked to match her round curves and slow speed.

newboots

Angel Diva
There are lots of Dev Armstrong videos on YouTube, so you can learn a little about her style of teaching.

My experience with women-only events is that they are always supportive and great fun. Friends talk about Okemo’s Women’s Alpine Adventure; apparently some women have been going annually for YEARS.

Don’t worry about your skill level. The workshop leaders won’t put you into some daredevil bumps-and-jumps group!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seeing Deb Armstrong listed as a host on the description is what persuaded me to sign up. I've been watching her videos (over and over) for the last several years and I really connect with the way she explains and demonstrates concepts.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Consider booking Deb for a private lesson. It's my understanding that she works out of the ski school. She told me she likes to teach beginner groups and all kinds of intermediates to keep up on what's going on in the recreational ski world. It might just be possible to snag a private with her. Maybe contact her through her facebook page if you can't find a way otherwise. Private lessons are SO MUCH better than any kind of clinic or group, if you have a great coach for your private.

https://www.facebook.com/deb.armstrong.18

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx @liquidfeet . I try to do several privates each year as the budget allows and I always get a lot out of them. I never dreamed that Deb would actually be available to mere plebes, however. I looked at her FB page and we actually have 2 friends in common who have nothing to do with skiing (of course, she has 1,700+ friends :smile:). Cheers for letting me know.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are lots of Dev Armstrong videos on YouTube, so you can learn a little about her style of teaching.

My experience with women-only events is that they are always supportive and great fun. Friends talk about Okemo’s Women’s Alpine Adventure; apparently some women have been going annually for YEARS.

Don’t worry about your skill level. The workshop leaders won’t put you into some daredevil bumps-and-jumps group!

Thanks, "newboots"! Didn't occur to me to look for videos; will do! Trust me, I won't let them put me somewhere I don't want to be. Last group lesson I took (several years ago) they put me in a more advanced group that would be doing bumps & steeps; I politely told them I would not go with that group; so they created another "group" just for me. Then another woman asked to come with me & the instructor because she was uncomfortable with the group assignment but had been afraid to speak up. Made me doubly glad I said something - and we wound up having a great semi-private lesson!

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Consider booking Deb for a private lesson. It's my understanding that she works out of the ski school. She told me she likes to teach beginner groups and all kinds of intermediates to keep up on what's going on in the recreational ski world. It might just be possible to snag a private with her. Maybe contact her through her facebook page if you can't find a way otherwise. Private lessons are SO MUCH better than any kind of clinic or group, if you have a great coach for your private.

Nice idea, liquidfeet but, as I've already splurged on the clinic, the extra cost of a private lesson may not be in the budget. Will look into it and consider it, though - thanks!

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seeing Deb Armstrong listed as a host on the description is what persuaded me to sign up. I've been watching her videos (over and over) for the last several years and I really connect with the way she explains and demonstrates concepts.

BlizzardBabe - Does this mean you'll be in the February clinic? If so, then I'll see you there!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would be grand, @SnowDancer , but I'm in the March group. I was headed there w/my ski club anyway, so the timing is surprisingly perfect. I couldn't pass it up. I'll be curious to hear about the February clinic, however. I hope you'll post about your experience!

marzNC

Angel Diva

While private lessons are certainly well worth while, I disagree that they are always better than any kind of group clinic. For me, a semi-private lesson with a friend or two of similar terrain interests and ability is optimal. Especially at a large destination resort out west. But it also has worked out well at my home hill.

I've learned a great deal from Taos Ski Weeks (6 consecutive morning lessons, grouped by ability, about $300 plus tip) that have a max of 7 students for a fraction of the cost of private lessons with instructors of comparable experience. Same for a multi-week program at my home hill. My personality is such that I learn a lot observing how an instructor teaches another skier. I also tend not to think of that many questions, but always appreciate it when others speak up. I'm more likely to think of a question in reaction to someone else's question. YMMV

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

If anyone's interested, I interviewed Deb years ago for my blog. You can find it here.

SnowDancer

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That would be grand, @SnowDancer , but I'm in the March group. I was headed there w/my ski club anyway, so the timing is surprisingly perfect. I couldn't pass it up. I'll be curious to hear about the February clinic, however. I hope you'll post about your experience!

Missed the dates in your original post - sorry! Will be glad to post a report after I'm back home.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Taos ski week is awesome. I've done it 4 times. Unfortunately, the last 2 years that pesky thing called "work" has interfered with the dates my club goes or I'd be doing it again. Maybe next year for me too.

mbradley

Diva in Training
Hi Divas!

WOMEN'S SKI CAMP

CLINIC DETAILS
I did this camp a few years ago and it sounds like we ski at the same level. After I crashed and tore my ACL I prefer blue. The groups were quickly broken out as the majority wanted bumps, and black terrain. I ended up in a group with 3 and it was fantastic. So much solid technique advice that I felt I rapidly improved in speed and confidence. Hoping to go this year also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly