• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Ski Boots - Any Deals?

altagirl

Staff member
You can see them in your email, so technically she could have seen some or all of the responses without logging onto the site. I agree with you though, I'm sure we haven't scared anyone off. Some people are just more active than others on the site, and it is only September so that certainly isn't everyone. That's the nice thing about an online forum, you can come and go and the conversation can ebb and flow when you do.
Also, if you're not set to log in automatically, you could read it without logging in.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I'm researching new women's ski boots for this season. I live near Stan & Dans in North Conway which I know is the go-to for boot fitting. Any suggestions?
@Kathy Bennett The only thing I can add to all the fabulous advice in this post is this: when I bought my boots, I went to a great boot shop (the Boot Doctors, in Taos), and gave them my bottom line AFA price (if you can't afford them, doesn't matter how great they are!), and then asked them to let me try on all the boots they pulled for me without telling me the price until I had chosen my boot.

Since boots are arguably the MOST important piece of equipment you own, this is where the lion's share of your budget should be applied. You can rent skis for a few yrs while saving up for a pair, but you don't want to rent boots.

Kathy Bennett

Certified Ski Diva
@Kathy Bennett, since you are asking online for what boot to buy based on sale prices, I am going to guess that you need to know more about ski boots and how they affect your control over your skis.

The boot is solidly attached to the ski. There is no slack, no "play," between boot and ski. Your foot is attached to your boot. There should be no slack, no "play," between foot and boot.

If you succeed in getting your feet into boots that fit with no slack, your feet will control your skis. If you don't, you will be moving on skis that have a mind of their own. There will be lag time between what your feet do and what your skis do. They may not point in the direction you want. They may not tip up on edge to the degree your feet and legs tell them to do. They may wobble when your feet are not wobbling. Your shins may slam into the front of the cuff and cause bruising, called "shin bang." You may get blisters on your heels. With this lack of precision control, your confidence will suffer, and for good reason.

Most recreational skiers on the hill are in boots that don't fit properly. These skiers just don't know the importance of proper boot fit, nor do they know what a good fit feels like. Their technique, if they have been skiing for some time, will have developed compensations for this sub-optimal control over the skis, and they will not be able to improve their technique without new boots and serious re-training through lessons. They will avoid certain days because the snow conditions are not perfect for the type of compensations they have developed. They are still having fun, though. It's just not as much fun as they could be having.

I hope some on this forum will post about what a good fit involves, how it feels, and what a good bootfitter is like, and how to get a good fit AND a good deal, so you can avoid being one of the many skiers who could be having more fun if only......
Great intel, thank you!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just been tied up! I do want to get an early start on getting new boot for this winter.
I would say get going in the next few weeks if this year‘s supply problems are anything like last year’s. I did get new boots and I’m happy but didn’t have much to try on. Best of luck with this!

Kathy Bennett

Certified Ski Diva
I would say get going in the next few weeks if this year‘s supply problems are anything like last year’s. I did get new boots and I’m happy but didn’t have much to try on. Best of luck with this!
I’m failing miserably at getting an early start.

Mjm11

Certified Ski Diva
What boots did you end up purchasing?

Kathy Bennett

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks to everyone for your advice. My plans to buy boots early pre-season have been foiled but I'm still hopeful to get after new boots before too long.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
If you like podcasts and technical information I thought I’d mention that Blister’s Gear 30 did a 4 part ‘deep dive’ into bootfitting - I haven’t listened yet but have them on the list for when I start driving to VT nearly every weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly