• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Clinics

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Now that sounds like a great deal. Take it!
Oh I'm not going to do it. Actually have plans for that time period but it is a good deal. I have skied and stayed at Snowbird (all at Cliff Lodge) several times but it's been a decade or so.

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
I agree regarding not renting a car if at Snowbird. Last year, you had to reserve parking ahead of time if you were driving up for the day. And the likelihood of not getting up the mountain due to snowfall seems high compared to other places I've been. Plus, the traffic headed up and down can be serious given there is one road for all the SLC folk who love Snowbird and Alta.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I agree regarding not renting a car if at Snowbird. Last year, you had to reserve parking ahead of time if you were driving up for the day. And the likelihood of not getting up the mountain due to snowfall seems high compared to other places I've been. Plus, the traffic headed up and down can be serious given there is one road for all the SLC folk who love Snowbird and Alta.
If you are staying at Snowbird lodging, there is separate parking available. I stayed at the Iron Blosam in Dec 2020 since I'm a timeshare owner and could trade for an early season week. Since it snowed that week, we had to unbury the car. Borrowed a big shovel from the Concierge desk.

The LCC road doesn't really close completely that often. It just makes headlines often because Alta and Snowbird are so popular with locals and travelers who are long time powder hounds. While a snowstorm can happen any time, early Jan is not that risky. However, definitely requires AWD and experience driving in snow. As well as patience if you don't know how to avoid the "red snake" at the end of the day.

That said, if I were doing the Women's Clinic Jan. 6-9, I would stay at Snowbird.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Somebody go! And tell us everything! (I’m a bit jealous.)
I know, right? It's a great deal and a cheap flight for me. But I'm not one that takes lessons...... except two previous Taos trips and one upcoming one.... other than that, it's been decades. But this Snowbird deal sounds really good and the price is great to be slope side, include lift tickets, and all day clinics and apres. Maybe I should go? I have Tahoe trip planned those dates with friends, but Snowbird? Snowbird is super fun and the last time I was there it wasn't connected to Alta although we bushwhacked illegally from Alta to Snowbird anyhow. I can be a bit of a rebel for an older diva !!!!!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I just looked at that Snowbird clinic and was sorely tempted. But… hoping to get a spring break and my girls’ trip in this winter/spring, so I guess i need to save vacation days. :\

eyeski

Diva in Training
PowerLearn is a fairly unique program. It's a 20-day program that includes 8 full days in on-snow lessons over the course of a season in a program designed by Mermer would be transformational for any skier. Starts in December and goes into March. This is not a clinic for women only.

"Develop the versatility and technical finesse to ski the mountain anywhere in any condition with athleticism and grace. PowerLearn’s power starts with its teachers. All are certified with the Professional Ski Instructors of America, hand-picked by Mermer and trained in her PowerLearn curriculum."

Includes:
"Customized Learning: We’ll cast a wide net, using as many learning modes as possible: video analysis, indoor movement and Q&A sessions, personal cue words, customized practice, etc. But most importantly, we’ll teach you, not a system, so no matter what your learning needs are, we will meet them."
do you know if they are still offering it? the windham website seems like it is frozen in time. i tried emailing, but no response

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
do you know if they are still offering it? the windham website seems like it is frozen in time. i tried emailing, but no response
I spoke to someone from the program and it’s full but they are trying to organize an “a la carte” option where you can take private lessons with a Powerlearn instructor. And FYI the program is now 16 half days instead of 8 full days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I spoke to someone from the program and it’s full but they are trying to organize an “a la carte” option where you can take private lessons with a Powerlearn instructor. And FYI the program is now 16 half days instead of 8 full days.
Based on my experience with semi-private lessons and Taos Ski Weeks, someone who invests in PowerLearn to focus on improving technique for an entire season would do better with half-day lessons. Presumably people live close enough to Windham to drive for day trips or stay for the weekends. The half day lessons would leave time to practice or just enjoy some time on snow if it happens to be great snow conditions that day.

Found an old description of Power Learn from before 2017. The season pass used to be part of the cost. That's now separate. The schedule on the Windham website is still leftover from 2019-20 and included 20 dates from mid-Dec to mid-March, so the text description of "8 days" was probably never updated.

Compared to the cost of multi-day clinics that are 2-3 days, or flying out to Taos for 2-3 Ski Weeks, the cost of PowerLearn is not outrageous. Comes out about twice as much, but it's for the entire season with a team of instructors hand-picked by Mermer Blakeslee. Mermer started skiing at Windham at age 3, so it's her home mountain.

Ski Strong (TM) is $2200 for about 3 days at Taos. That's for up to 7 people, taught by Deb Armstrong for 2.5 days. In comparison a Private Ski Week (6 2-hour lessons on consecutive days) for up to 5 people is $1450. Ski Strong is Deb's "brand" and she is partnering with Taos for where she is doing clinics.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks!

newboots

Angel Diva
Are you coming to Diva West?
No - two complications. (1) my daughter is pregnant and giving birth some time in February - I don't want to be out of town if she needs me. (And with a 3-year-old, she will!)
(2) My long-term shortness of breath has been diagnosed as "air trapping" (either asthma or COPD). It's getting much better with treatment, but this doesn't seem like the year to challenge my breathing with altitude.

:frown::cry:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
No - two complications. (1) my daughter is pregnant and giving birth some time in February - I don't want to be out of town if she needs me. (And with a 3-year-old, she will!)
(2) My long-term shortness of breath has been diagnosed as "air trapping" (either asthma or COPD). It's getting much better with treatment, but this doesn't seem like the year to challenge my breathing with altitude.

:frown::cry:
Totally understand!

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree and am hoping to meet some new ski buddies at Diva East and Okemo this year. Thank you for the good info.
I did take 2 group lessons at Okemo the year before last that ended up private’s. Again, a good teacher would have been priceless. I had a super interesting instructor who was good but not great.
Hello! Where is Diva East..I'd be interested in Diva East AND/OR meeting some divas in Okemo this year.

newboots

Angel Diva
Go to the "Divas only, Dahling" section of the forums (near bottom), then check out "Meet on the hill" and click on Sub-forums, and you'll see the sections for the Diva East and West threads. (Well hidden, eh?) :becky:

And post your interest in meeting up at Okemo in the Meet on the Hill section, too. :wave:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly