• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's Clinics

marzNC

Angel Diva
Mostly The difference in price. Since I have Epic, I thought about their clinic. I am not sure that it’s what I’m looking for as I might be better with some small group or a private for the cost of the clinic, hotel etc.
just looking and learning.
Keep in mind that location makes a difference. Just as it does for day ticket pricing. Also need to to consider what happens besides the actual lesson time. I've been at Alta Lodge when a 2 or 3 day camp is happening. The campers are spending all day doing stuff, starting with yoga before breakfast and including late afternoon workshops, plus they eat all meals together. It's pricey but I know of people who return annually.

What helped me was finding a few ski buddies who were willing to share the cost of semi-private lessons at destination resorts. With 2-3 people, the hourly rate for each student is under $100. With a very experienced instructor, two friends don't have to be exactly the same ability level. The other advantage was that we picked the schedule that suited us, as opposed to having to match the plan of a multi-day clinic. Of course, it took a few seasons to find compatible folks for ski trips out west.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that location makes a difference. Just as it does for day ticket pricing. Also need to to consider what happens besides the actual lesson time. I've been at Alta Lodge when a 2 or 3 day camp is happening. The campers are spending all day doing stuff, starting with yoga before breakfast and including late afternoon workshops, plus they eat all meals together. It's pricey but I know of people who return annually.

What helped me was finding a few ski buddies who were willing to share the cost of semi-private lessons at destination resorts. With 2-3 people, the hourly rate for each student is under $100. With a very experienced instructor, two friends don't have to be exactly the same ability level. The other advantage was that we picked the schedule that suited us, as opposed to having to match the plan of a multi-day clinic. Of course, it took a few seasons to find compatible folks for ski trips out west.
I agree and am hoping to meet some new ski buddies at Diva East and Okemo this year. Thank you for the good info.
I did take 2 group lessons at Okemo the year before last that ended up private’s. Again, a good teacher would have been priceless. I had a super interesting instructor who was good but not great.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I did take 2 group lessons at Okemo the year before last that ended up private’s. Again, a good teacher would have been priceless. I had a super interesting instructor who was good but not great.
Do you know the differences between PSIA certifications? At Alta in late season, even the instructors doing the intermediate group lessons are Level 3 instructors. During her first trip, my friend from NC had three consecutive solo lessons with a very experienced L3 instructor. He was an older man who have moved over from another ski resort. Needless to say, she learned a LOT those three days. She'd only skied at Massanutten in northern VA before that, just a few days for a few seasons as her children were learning. Much to my surprise, he has her skiing the easiest blue at the end of the first lesson. After the third lesson, I was able to lead her on the harder blue over on the Collins side for a tour.

Women's Clinics are usually taught by female Level 3 instructors. But it can depend on the location.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
Mostly The difference in price. Since I have Epic, I thought about their clinic. I am not sure that it’s what I’m looking for as I might be better with some small group or a private for the cost of the clinic, hotel etc.
just looking and learning.
I hope all goes well this year and then next we will get Ikon. I would love to do the Taos clinic and I think Deb Armstrong might still be at Steamboat. :0
Deb Armstrong ran the Women's Clinic at Taos in 2019. She was great.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Windham has a long series of lessons with Mermer Blakeslee, but it costs $5,000 plus lift tickets.
PowerLearn is a fairly unique program. It's a 20-day program that includes 8 full days in on-snow lessons over the course of a season in a program designed by Mermer would be transformational for any skier. Starts in December and goes into March. This is not a clinic for women only.

"Develop the versatility and technical finesse to ski the mountain anywhere in any condition with athleticism and grace. PowerLearn’s power starts with its teachers. All are certified with the Professional Ski Instructors of America, hand-picked by Mermer and trained in her PowerLearn curriculum."

Includes:
"Customized Learning: We’ll cast a wide net, using as many learning modes as possible: video analysis, indoor movement and Q&A sessions, personal cue words, customized practice, etc. But most importantly, we’ll teach you, not a system, so no matter what your learning needs are, we will meet them."

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
PowerLearn is a fairly unique program. It's a 20-day program that includes 8 full days in on-snow lessons over the course of a season in a program designed by Mermer would be transformational for any skier. Starts in December and goes into March. This is not a clinic for women only.

"Develop the versatility and technical finesse to ski the mountain anywhere in any condition with athleticism and grace. PowerLearn’s power starts with its teachers. All are certified with the Professional Ski Instructors of America, hand-picked by Mermer and trained in her PowerLearn curriculum."

Includes:
"Customized Learning: We’ll cast a wide net, using as many learning modes as possible: video analysis, indoor movement and Q&A sessions, personal cue words, customized practice, etc. But most importantly, we’ll teach you, not a system, so no matter what your learning needs are, we will meet them."
If only I had the time

marzNC

Angel Diva
If only I had the time
As long as you have the interest and are willing to learn how to practice fundamentals, improving ski technique is a process that is on-going. Even Level 3 instructors do PSIA training clinics every season. For that matter, L3 instructors practice all the time when they are free-skiing.

Several years ago, a friend (working full-time) and I (retired) were wondering how an intermediate adult could become a solid advanced skier when only skiing less than 20 days a season. In particular someone who didn't live near big mountains, but was close enough to small hills for weekend day trips. Our conclusion after a forum discussion (different ski forum) was that it is possible. However, it helps a lot to include a 1-week ski vacation at a big mountain that includes a lesson or two with a very experienced instructor. The process was clearly going to take a few years.

I'd say it took my friend 4-5 years but he was clearly improving every season. He went out west for the 1-week ski trips since snow conditions are more reliable than the northeast. Also the blue runs are longer in the Rockies. Ultimately he settled on a Taos Ski Week as the most cost effective use of vacation time in terms of lessons.

Once I learned how to practice at Massanutten, it became clear after a couple seasons that the fundamentals I was learning at a small hill really did apply when I was at a destination ski resort. I don't practice all the time, but as I learned more drills it's much easier to practice here and there even during a run that's mostly just for fun. I was only skiing 10-15 days a season, with a kid, for several years after I started skiing more regularly. The changes in my skiing started when we started doing a spring break trip to Alta.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Bumps for Boomers in Aspen comes to mind. They used to email lots of tips which I have used at times. Have not taken a clinic from them.

Here's a trip report (Post #6) about Bumps for Boomers from @BlizzardBabe from a couple years ago. Note that she'd done a few Taos Ski Weeks before this clinic. Clearly very different approaches. That's the thing about lessons, the fit for a program or instructor or classmates can make a huge difference.

Sherr630

Certified Ski Diva

Includes:
Have you ever taken this clinic? I was looking at Mermer's Snowbird clinic, but I dont think I can do the dates in January :(

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Includes:

Whoa! $5,450!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you ever taken this clinic? I was looking at Mermer's Snowbird clinic, but I dont think I can do the dates in January :(
The Powerlearn clinic is already sold out for the season! I called to get more information on the program and was told it sold out last Spring!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Nope. Other than taking lessons at my home mountain, Massanutten, I don't have much reason to do lessons in the east. I enjoy skiing with friends in the east and checking out places I haven't been, but I only plan in advance for lessons out west.

I've found that working with any L3 instructor with 10+ years of experience is very useful. I've been able to get recommendations for resorts where I'm planning to go since I start planning months in advance. I've also had good experiences with L2 instructors who have taught for 15+ years when it's based on a recommendation. One of my favorite instructors at Taos is L2.

What helped me was finding ski buddies willing to split the cost of semi-private lessons. I've done lessons with 1, 2, or 3 friends since 2014. Didn't discover Taos Ski Weeks until 2017. One season I and my friends happened to be there during the Women's Ski Week, so @santacruz skier and I did that. Since the Women's Ski Week is only offered once a season, for me it's not worth planning around the Taos schedule. I'm fine with co-ed lessons.

seastraight

Certified Ski Diva
Mermer Blakeslee is going to be the guest instructor at the January women's clinic at Snowbird. That means your group gets at least one half day on the slopes with Mermer and some instructional talks apres-ski. Since she is an instructor's instructor, she has ample experience and her instructions are easy to understand and follow. And the Snowbird camp is more affordable than others. As long as you can get lodging at Snowbird, the camp can be a great and affordable experience!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Mermer Blakeslee is going to be the guest instructor at the January women's clinic at Snowbird. That means your group gets at least one half day on the slopes with Mermer and some instructional talks apres-ski. Since she is an instructor's instructor, she has ample experience and her instructions are easy to understand and follow. And the Snowbird camp is more affordable than others. As long as you can get lodging at Snowbird, the camp can be a great and affordable experience!
That is a good deal especially including 3 nights on slope lodging (Cliff Lodge?) and 3 days lift tickets.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
"This women’s ski camp package offers 3 nights lodging, 3 days of Snowbird Adult lift tickets, Cliff Spa access and round-trip ground transportation. Camp includes 3 days of on-hill coaching, optional indoor presentation and après ski and more."

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"This women’s ski camp package offers 3 nights lodging, 3 days of Snowbird Adult lift tickets, Cliff Spa access and round-trip ground transportation. Camp includes 3 days of on-hill coaching, optional indoor presentation and après ski and more."
Now that sounds like a great deal. Take it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
That is a good deal especially including 3 nights on slope lodging (Cliff Lodge?) and 3 days lift tickets.
Snowbird has three slopeside buildings with lodging. The Cliff is the fanciest one. There is also the Lodge at Snowbird and the Inn at Snowbird. Plus Iron Blosam, which is a timeshare building that also rents units. All are a short walk to a base lift. If not at the Cliff, can either walk or take the free resort shuttle bus that runs pretty frequently.

There is absolutely no reason to get a rental car when staying at Snowbird. Not too many options for restaurants but enough for a short stay. Snowbird has a resort "village" that include a small grocery store, but going to LCC is about the skiing at Snowbird or Alta, not a resort town experience.

Looks like you don't have to stay at Snowbird. Although that's probably the best approach. After a full day on the slopes, having to drive or ride the bus down the canyon would not be my first choice.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 12.34.07 PM.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly