• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's clinics, '19-'20

Refinnej

Diva in Training
I got in on early pricing for the Women's Wednesdays at Snowbird. It will be my first women's only clinic (only started skiing 4 years ago) but I'm hopeful they can help me fix bad habits developed in what I call "survivalist skiing" trying to follow expert boyfriend and his crazy good teen daughter around the mountain for three years. :becky:

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got the green light from my boss to take Wednesdays off for Ladies Brigades at Bristol Mountain. I'm crossing my fingers I get the same instructor as last year. He is a very experienced coach and also did my boot fitting this summer. Should be a recipe for good feedback on the hill...

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After a few years of good intentions, I am finally going to do the women's clinic at Wachusett on Thursday mornings. One plus to the program is you can buy a single day or a set of 5, but you don't have to do consecutive weeks. That makes it easier to work around travel, etc.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First class back today. Smaller group this year, just 4 women to one instructor (5 of us last year). We stayed on the easier runs which is fine by me. I got a nice complement from my instructor (same as last year) that I was skiing much more confidently and balanced. I have been skiing a lot more this year and the time on snow has helped as well as properly fitted boots:smile:

We focused on keeping our arms forward and elbows away from our sides. This will be an ongoing focus for me but when I do it, I feel very in control because I'm really driving my skis.

We were also given a cue to watch for...the uphill ski pole should not drag on the snow. When it drags, we're leaning into the hill instead of the fall line. I thought I was doing well with this until we went to a steeper slope. Yep, I'll need to keep practicing this one too.

MissySki

Angel Diva
We were also given a cue to watch for...the uphill ski pole should not drag on the snow. When it drags, we're leaning into the hill instead of the fall line. I thought I was doing well with this until we went to a steeper slope. Yep, I'll need to keep practicing this one too.

Any drills to NOT drag that pole?? I have a tendency of doing this sometimes, and have been trying to focus on that this season when I notice it happening.. Been wondering if it’’d help to shorten my poles too.

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any drills to NOT drag that pole?? I have a tendency of doing this sometimes, and have been trying to focus on that this season when I notice it happening.. Been wondering if it’’d help to shorten my poles too.

Drag the downhill pole. Keep it vertical, press its tip down into the snow to make firm contact, and drag it hard! Lift the uphill shoulder and elbow and hand so you are holding that uphill pole higher in the air. This does a multitude of good stuff.

When I was first asked to drag poles some years ago, I lost my turn totally if I focused on the poles. Dunno why. It's easy for me now. If you have difficulty doing pole drag drills, don't give up. Keep trying. You're just going through a learning stage. Use determination and repetition to "get" it.

Note: all of this "uphill/downhill" terminology only applies to the second half of the turn.

Mistletoes

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No drills for that today, just to use that cue to know that I need to create more angulation and lean down hill.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet's suggestion is spot on. It'll help you get to and/or improve angulation w/o going through all the "PSIA-speak." :wink:

I noted on another thread that I just signed up for the Steamboat women's 3-day clinic in March. It'll be my first women's clinic. Last month I did B4B at Aspen and I was in a group of 3 guys w/a male instructor. It was just fine (surprisingly fun, in fact), but I'm looking forward to the camaraderie and encouragement that I know I'll get skiing w/the gals. :clap:

This is my 60th birthday year (9/59), and the clinics are my gift to me!

Last edited:

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I haven’t signed up for any clinics yet this season... However, I just won 2, half-day private lessons with level 2 instructors through my ski club, and also signed up for 3, free, 90-minute private lessons with level 2 instructors through my club! So I am totally excited about putting these on my calendar!

Covie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rippin Chix steeps camp changed everything for me 6 years ago. I’d love to do another but the dates aren’t lining up for me this year. Cannot say enough good things about it.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
For those of you doing the Jackson Hole women elevate camp and the Okemo women’s clinic I’d be curious to hear your feedback after you attend next week and the week after!

I’ve done the steep and deep camp a couple times and I am usually the only woman in my group.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Not attending but you know I’m around. Catch up when you’re here?

You betcha! I’m going to send a note about possible dinner Tuesday night... just need to confirm with my friend who is traveling with me this year!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly