• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Women's clinics, '19-'20

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone with an epic pass done a clinic at one of Vail's resorts? I've done Okemo's WAA clinic in the past, but last year they refused to offer lower pricing for pass holders and I couldn't justify paying for a clinic that included lift tickets I'd essentially already bought! I'm curious if this is just the Vail way of doing things, or if maybe it was a growing pain of the quick acquisition

I skipped the Okemo series last year, too. It would’ve been nice to do a women’s clinic at my home mountain. But no way! I had paid for a pass! I should get something for that, right? I did a day session at Suicide Six and another one at Sunapee. I had one of the Okemo instructors over there anyway so it felt like home. And I learned to ski at Sunapee. So I guess it was going home!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Alta Lodge has opened up a new Women's camp during early season, Dec. 12-16, 2019. I've never done an Alta Lodge Women's camp but have seen the groups in the lodge. They clearly have a great time and learn a lot. Many are repeat students.

Women’s Skills Camp
December 12-16, 2019

New for 2019-2020, this early winter program is an excellent way to kick-off your best ski season ever! The Women’s Skills Camp is designed to empower you as a skier. Start your season off right by fine-tuning your technical skills, learning how to optimize the performance of your equipment, and meeting other women who love to ski as much as you do.

Women's Skills Camp at Alta Ski AreaLed by top coaches from Alta’s Alf Engen Ski School, we consider this program to be a committed endeavor targeted towards those passionate about improving their skiing. You’ll work on honing foundational movements through on-snow drills, daily video review, indoor technical presentations, and of course, plenty of ski time! You will be coached with a daily on-snow focus while enjoying fantastic camaraderie along with and the comforts of an Alta Lodge ski vacation.

Skier Ability:
Our focus for this program is skill development, not terrain. Whether you are comfortable cruising the blues or you are accomplished on black terrain, this program is for intermediate to advanced skiers looking to achieve a new level of confidence and excitement on snow.

* Low snow conditions may exist during the early season, potentially limiting access to some of Alta’s legendary terrain. This program is not dependent upon terrain, and you will be skiing runs most suited to the camp objectives.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I skipped the Okemo series last year, too. It would’ve been nice to do a women’s clinic at my home mountain. But no way! I had paid for a pass! I should get something for that, right? I did a day session at Suicide Six and another one at Sunapee. I had one of the Okemo instructors over there anyway so it felt like home. And I learned to ski at Sunapee. So I guess it was going home!

I talked to Okemo yesterday. They’ve adjusted pricing for the WAA programs to accommodate those with the Epic pass. However, it’s November 2, and they STILL don’t have registration open for the WAA programs yet. The gal I talked to in registrations was really apologetic. But sheesh... it’s November!

maylin

Angel Diva
Thanks for doing the legwork to put this list together! I really want to get confident on skis this year (thanks to this forum that will include treating myself to some shorter skis since I got some not amazing advice on my current pair!) I'm in the DC metro, so not exactly ski Mecca but happy to see whitetail on this list! Will check it out
Hi
I am in Maryland and White Tail is "local" resort, too.
They hosts "women's day" program three times a year and we had a lot of fun and learning in the past.

newboots

Angel Diva
I’m doing the Women’s Alpine at Okemo in January.

I'm going to do some WAA or another this year. I wonder if I’m up to 3 days?
Getting sick late this summer really slowed me down.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi
I am in Maryland and White Tail is "local" resort, too.
They hosts "women's day" program three times a year and we had a lot of fun and learning in the past.

Welcome, @maylin ! Glad to have you here!

maylin

Angel Diva
Yes, our family visit Liberty as well.
I just checked out the ski liberty program and I am so tempted to join yet I already know I won't make 1 of the weekends. I would like to plan ahead and do it 2021.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm seriously considering the early-season Alta camp!
Are you thinking about the new Women's Skills Camp, Dec. 12-16? Best check soon to see if there are any spots left. Only risk for an Alta Lodge ski camp is that you'll get hooked and want to go annually. But I'm totally biased as a regular at Alta Lodge during late season. :smile:

Main reason I don't do Alta ski camps is that a full day of lessons is too much for me (over 60). I do better with morning lessons and free skiing in the afternoon. Taos Ski Weeks are a better fit and happen any week of the season. There is a Women's Ski Week once during mid-season.

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
Are you thinking about the new Women's Skills Camp, Dec. 12-16? Best check soon to see if there are any spots left. Only risk for an Alta Lodge ski camp is that you'll get hooked and want to go annually. But I'm totally biased as a regular at Alta Lodge during late season. :smile:

Main reason I don't do Alta ski camps is that a full day of lessons is too much for me (over 60). I do better with morning lessons and free skiing in the afternoon. Taos Ski Weeks are a better fit and happen any week of the season. There is a Women's Ski Week once during mid-season.

Ah, good call! I just called, and they said:

- all the later-season ski camps are full (both the intermediate-advanced and the advanced)
- there are still a few spots left in the December Women's Skills Camp, so I have a few days to decide.

The skills camp is more focused on building general skiing skills, and caters to people of all levels, vs. the later level-specific camps that focus on off-trail terrain.

In all the camps, though, they'll do a skills assessment and break down into smaller groups.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, good call! I just called, and they said:

- all the later-season ski camps are full (both the intermediate-advanced and the advanced)
- there are still a few spots left in the December Women's Skills Camp, so I have a few days to decide.

The skills camp is more focused on building general skiing skills, and caters to people of all levels, vs. the later level-specific camps that focus on off-trail terrain.

In all the camps, though, they'll do a skills assessment and break down into smaller groups.
Good to know!

What's seems to be a bonus for Alta Lodge ski camps is that the total number of people is low. All of them spend time together at the lodge regardless of ability level. That includes eating the included leisurely gourmet dinner together at a couple long tables. Makes it very easy to make new friends who are clearly ski nuts. In general at Alta Lodge, the discussion is very lively at the "joiner table" even for people who aren't in a camp but are feeling sociable at dinner.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you reach out to Vail directly about WAA pricing? Last year I only spoke to okemo about it. I plan to try again this year, and was thinking of calling Vail if it's a problem again. As far as minor issues with my pass, they were extremely helpful and well trained last year, so fingers crossed!

Also, did sunapee offer you a discount as a passholder?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did you reach out to Vail directly about WAA pricing? Last year I only spoke to okemo about it. I plan to try again this year, and was thinking of calling Vail if it's a problem again. As far as minor issues with my pass, they were extremely helpful and well trained last year, so fingers crossed!

Also, did sunapee offer you a discount as a passholder?

I didn’t go directly to Vail. I already had the feeling that Okemo was having growing pains with their new parent. Vail is not as invested in local programs. There is a real hassle locally with the school programs which ran at Okemo for years.

I think on the Sunapee event, which did have a discounted lift ticket anyway, I did not have to pay for a ticket. It was run the same day as one of the Skinner ski and sport demo days.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn’t go directly to Vail. I already had the feeling that Okemo was having growing pains with their new parent. Vail is not as invested in local programs. There is a real hassle locally with the school programs which ran at Okemo for years.

I think on the Sunapee event, which did have a discounted lift ticket anyway, I did not have to pay for a ticket. It was run the same day as one of the Skinner ski and sport demo days.

Thanks so much, growing pains should be Vail's middle name! They seem to be particularly invested in really sucking Okemo into the Borg and changing the way they do everything, because it's already a destination resort type of hill.

I did a weekend at Sunapee last year and was reminded of what a good hill it is. They have managed to maintain their identity as a great family friendly hill that focuses on locals. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for lesson opportunities and events there this year!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much, growing pains should be Vail's middle name! They seem to be particularly invested in really sucking Okemo into the Borg and changing the way they do everything, because it's already a destination resort type of hill.

I did a weekend at Sunapee last year and was reminded of what a good hill it is. They have managed to maintain their identity as a great family friendly hill that focuses on locals. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for lesson opportunities and events there this year!

If you're interested in a Vermont clinic, I've done the one at Sugarbush and thought it was very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly