• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Wobbling carvers

leisha

Diva in Training
K2 Superfree

I demo'd the K2 Superfree skis, which I loved so much I didn't bother trying any others

hey vickiski, interested to know how you are finding those K2 Superfrees? I too have had them recommended and demo'd them at Ruapehu (NZ) last weekend... a whole lot of fun and made me LOL but curious to know what length you got them in? Initially some conflicting reports on length that was suitable for me (was recommended a 146) but now leaning towards grabbing the 153... they seem to be selling like hotcakes over here so interested to know how you are finding them????

vickiski

Certified Ski Diva
K2 Superfree

Whilst at Thredbo I had 156cm (quite short as I am 175cm) and they were great. I was, however, strongly recommended to go a bit longer as if it had been icy it was considered they wouldn't be grippy enough at my height and weight. I bought them in 160 but haven't used them, and now they'll just sit there for a year, as I won't get to the Northern Hemisphere winter this year.
My husband happened to be in Colorado last week so I got him to buy them for me - they were at least $400 cheaper than in Australia, and if he had had time to shop about could have got an even better price.
I loved them - I skied on 3 different skis within a few weeks and they were by far the best for me. The Head Wild Thang (?1-2 years old) were the second best. Happy times!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Thanks for the info on the Superfree. It's on my list. But does anyone know what lengths it's available in? You mention 146, but previous K2s in a 146 felt too long for me (due to the K2's method of measuring). Last season I spent a day on an old One Luv rental (I could be wrong but think One Luv preceded the Free Luv, which is now the Superfree) in a 142 and really really enjoyed it. Is the Superfree available in a 142?

manymoreshoes

Certified Ski Diva
sorry for my poor english, I don't really understand what's different between "wobbling" and "chatter". But I think if you feel unstable, you can check if:
1) your skiis are too short
2) your skiis are too soft
3) your skiis are too stiff that you can't really flex/bend them.

for these reasons just change them.

for the technique, if you have backseat, you can't put your weight in the middle of ski and bend them enough, so that also make them chatter.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
chatter: ski shovel edges grab the snow and let it go very fast, multiple times per second. It feels like the fronts of the skis are making tiny flapping movements up and down. It's jarring, like when you are driving a car over a rippled dirt road. I don't think this is what Vickieski is describing.

wobble: I think Vickieski said the fronts of the skis go back and forth. I'm thinking this means sideways, left and right. This can be caused by several issues:

1. Boots could be too big and loose on your feet. If your feet can shift leftie-rightie inside the boots even a little bit, then you have no control over those skis and they will do what they want. Check the boot fit first. Use boots whose labelled size is two sizes smaller than your street shoes, if you are renting. Too-large boots are very common. If you buy boots, be sure to get them at a reputable ski shop and get them very snug; they will become more comfortable with a few days of skiing on them and they will help you have control over those skis. Getting boots fitted properly by a reputable bootfitter at a real ski shop is more important than the type of skis you buy.

2. You could easily be skiing from the backseat. If you stand on the skis such that most of your weight is over the back part of the skis, it's like driving a car with the front two wheels in the air. When you are going slow, or when you have the skis flat on the snow, you have no control over the shovels of your skis if there is no weight up front pressuring them down onto the snow. I've seen lots of skiers with air visible under the shovels. They can't see it, though, and have no idea this is the case. Those unweighted ski tips will move left and right as they please. Skiiing from the back seat is very common too. If this is the case, take a lesson so a ski pro can watch you ski and help you get your stance fixed. Doing this will open up all kinds of possibilities for your skiing, and help you feel more in control all over the mountain.

3. This third option is an odd one, but I've had it happen to me. If the bottoms of the skis have become convex, like the hull of a kayak, then they will certainly shift left and right. I think this happened to mine once because someone tuned them in a shop incorrectly. If this is the case, have your skis stone-ground and that should solve the problem. If you've had the wobbling happen with different rental skis, then this is not the problem.

4. Ski length and ski flex should not be causing this problem. Ski on any length and type of ski you like. Seek the solution to this problem in the boot fit and/or the way you ski.

Best of luck, and have fun this season!

manymoreshoes

Certified Ski Diva
chatter: ski shovel edges grab the snow and let it go very fast, multiple times per second. It feels like the fronts of the skis are making tiny flapping movements up and down. It's jarring, like when you are driving a car over a rippled dirt road. I don't think this is what Vickieski is describing.

wobble: I think Vickieski said the fronts of the skis go back and forth. I'm thinking this means sideways, left and right. This can be caused by several issues:

1. Boots could be too big and loose on your feet. If your feet can shift leftie-rightie inside the boots even a little bit, then you have no control over those skis and they will do what they want. Check the boot fit first. Use boots whose labelled size is two sizes smaller than your street shoes, if you are renting. Too-large boots are very common. If you buy boots, be sure to get them at a reputable ski shop and get them very snug; they will become more comfortable with a few days of skiing on them and they will help you have control over those skis. Getting boots fitted properly by a reputable bootfitter at a real ski shop is more important than the type of skis you buy.

2. You could easily be skiing from the backseat. If you stand on the skis such that most of your weight is over the back part of the skis, it's like driving a car with the front two wheels in the air. When you are going slow, or when you have the skis flat on the snow, you have no control over the shovels of your skis if there is no weight up front pressuring them down onto the snow. I've seen lots of skiers with air visible under the shovels. They can't see it, though, and have no idea this is the case. Those unweighted ski tips will move left and right as they please. Skiiing from the back seat is very common too. If this is the case, take a lesson so a ski pro can watch you ski and help you get your stance fixed. Doing this will open up all kinds of possibilities for your skiing, and help you feel more in control all over the mountain.

3. This third option is an odd one, but I've had it happen to me. If the bottoms of the skis have become convex, like the hull of a kayak, then they will certainly shift left and right. I think this happened to mine once because someone tuned them in a shop incorrectly. If this is the case, have your skis stone-ground and that should solve the problem. If you've had the wobbling happen with different rental skis, then this is not the problem.

4. Ski length and ski flex should not be causing this problem. Ski on any length and type of ski you like. Seek the solution to this problem in the boot fit and/or the way you ski.

Best of luck, and have fun this season!

:pthanks for your explanation

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna