• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter'17-'18: Where it was good, and where it was not.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure this map really does a good job telling where it was good this winter: it doesn't take into account the March nor'easters in the northeast, or the big March dump in Tahoe. But here it is, anyway:

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 6.58.53 AM.png

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
And here's the biggest snowfall totals in North America right now:

1. Mt. Baker, WA = 751″
2. Timberline Lodge, OR = 522″

3. Sasquatch Mountain, BC = 500″
4. Lookout Pass, ID = 472″

5. Jackson Hole, WY = 456″
6. Crystal Mountain, WA = 455″
7. Alyeska, AK = 448″
8. Revelstoke, BC = 442″
9. Whistler Blackcomb, BC = 440″
10. Fernie, BC = 432″
10. Grand Targhee, WY = 432″

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Don't know about the number of inches but Big Sky and all the Montana resorts had a fantastic season. The snow was light and the storms were consistent in every month and still going now into April. The skiing off Lone Peak was open on day one - Thanksgiving Day and will be open through closing on April 22nd. Lots of areas that are too rocky in low snow years were open this year. No complaints at all about our season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Well March was definitely a game changer in the Sierras.... spent two weeks in March (10 days in Tahoe and 5 days at Mammoth)..... about 7 ft new snow counts...
Prior to that, Taos supposedly had it's worst year in 50 years but was really fun.... and Tahoe was hurting (even though skied about 14 days in December and late January) until the March miracle ....
Guess PNW was the place to be. Or Big Sky (which is on my list of places I haven't been)....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Tahoe still came out below average for the season, despite the amount of snow received in March.
and would have had a very grim year if not for March. However there were still sharks jumping out so one had to be careful.

newboots

Angel Diva
Similarly, March made all the difference in Vermont. It wasn’t a terrible winter without it, except for rain/thaw before each major ski holiday (poor resorts) followed by freezes (poor us)!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Similarly, March made all the difference in Vermont. It wasn’t a terrible winter without it, except for rain/thaw before each major ski holiday (poor resorts) followed by freezes (poor us)!
Yes you were getting Nor'easters and we were getting dumped on in Tahoe and then Mammoth...

Christy

Angel Diva
We (WA Cascades) are around average for the year, but our average is a pretty good amount of snow. No complaints here!

I had to look up Sasquatch.

Cascadia

Certified Ski Diva
Snoqualmie in WA had a great year. I can only think of one week where it got hit with rain and by the weekend it back to freezing. They’re still sporting over 200” and close on the 14th with a pond skim.

kiki

Angel Diva
We (WA Cascades) are around average for the year, but our average is a pretty good amount of snow. No complaints here!

I had to look up Sasquatch.
Sasquatch used to be Hemlock. I really like it but the road up is nasty and you need chains. If they fixed the road I'd get my season pass there as it is a really beautiful mountain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Mid-Atlantic was up and down. The ski areas/resorts that have strong snowmaking got plenty of cold weather in Dec and Jan to build pretty deep bases. But even so the heat wave after Pres. Day melted a lot and it seemed iffy for any late season snowsports. However, March was cold and snowy. Snowshoe measured that total snowfall in March in feet. A few NC and VA ski areas stayed open for bonus weekends in March.

The Catskills also benefitted from the late season snowstorms that shut down airports from DC to Boston in March.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Mediocre in Maine until March (good alliteration). March Madness. 4+ feet. Glorious. Alas, spoiled by rain on 3/29. :frown:
Another moderate storm rumored for Friday.
We'll get through most of April up here.

Live4Powder

Certified Ski Diva
Let's not even discuss Colorado. It was better than most skiing I did back east (which of course got massive snowfall the winter after I left!) but I can count on one hand how many times I saw powder runs and now it's slush and mush. I've given up for this season. Time to go hiking.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amazing in the French Alps this season, in fact record-breaking in some resorts like Val d'Isere and Tignes.

Val has had more than 8 metres (the most ever recorded in a season) and Tignes has had even more, it has just snowed and snowed this season.

The huge snowfalls in January were insane with the resorts completely shut down and some areas cut off for a few days.

When I went to Val last month I'd never seen snowbanks in the town like it or so much snow on the roofs.

Oh and this is a great comparison shot of Val Thorens from earlier in the year!
valthorens-18th-jan-2018.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Although Jan and Feb were tough, conditions at Alta/Snowbird were pretty good once it started snowing in early March. Another cold storm predicted for later this week that could drop 10-20 inches of powder if everything sets up just right.

Plenty of coverage in late March and early April when I was there with assorted friends coming and going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly