• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter clothes - layering in 2022?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Couldn't live without a down jacket.
I agree. When its single digits, low teens F, in the NE, down is necessary!! I don't run warm or sweaty, so I typically wear a wool ski sweater, very tightly knit, underneath. Together they keep me warm and and stop all wind chill. My arms feel the wind in anything less than wool sweater under any jacket. Under those I wear modal tneck and camisole. Is this confusing? I went outside in. . . .

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Patagonia calls them down sweaters. I have two (don’t ski in them) and one Patagonia down shirt. My storm outfit is Patagonia refugitive jacket and Stio Sweetwater fleece .
Hah! I asked DH why we've never called them down sweaters and he says that's a marketing thing lol. I have one from Eddie Bauer and it's great for walking around the SF "winter" temps.

The detergent thing is gentle is suggested because it won't strip the natural oils in the down. Down wash is basically baby shampoo without any added conditioners. Again, the detergent you use will not affect clumping as that's a drying issue, but detergent choice can affect overall longevity.
Mostly agree, only caveat is if you use a heavier detergent like Tide vs. a lighter down-specific detergent, it takes longer to rinse out. If you don't rinse it out completely, it can cause clumping in the down. And if you live in an apartment complex with very cheap shared laundry machines that only have 30 min wash cycles (oh, memories), it is very unlikely you're going to get all that detergent out.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna