• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will the economy effect your skiing next year?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
With gas prices as high as they are, and inflation a real factor in our lives, will your skiing change next year? What do you think?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Not currently anticipating anything different than the norm from a financial standpoint. I’ve been lucky to feel quite insulated economically so far. I just got a large raise and promotion, so that helps. Plus I work from home so I almost never use gas, don’t pay tolls everyday, or need car maintenance constantly right now. This has been a huge savings since working from home when Covid started, and we also get a monthly stipend to help offset home office expenses.

My pass was more expensive, but not dramatically so. I already have lodging for the season with my condo, and we eat in much of the time since we have the kitchen.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Airfares are higher and as soon as I get exact dates for the park city trip , I will book park city and Taos air. I’ll be flying from Salt Lake City (or Denver if we do Colorado) directly to Albuquerque for Diva West.

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At this stage no, it will interesting to see how much season passes go up for next season though. We're in a good position over here as we live very close to a few different ski areas so travel isn't an issue. We had a conversation with friends many years ago when we lived in Wanaka (well before the property boom) and we all agreed that no matter what it cost we would always find the $$$ to go skiing even if meant 2 minute noodles for dinner every night!

Tvan

Angel Diva
No. We have already purchased our passes and have no equipment purchases planned. I have no plans to fly anywhere anytime soon. We’ll be living much closer to great mountains by the time the ski season starts, so I don’t expect the economy to impact our skiing this coming year.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone think inflation will keep people away from skiing?

altagirl

Staff member
FWIW, gas prices don't generally affect my decisions, but i try to drive less for the environment. I realized yesterday that my average annual miles on my car maybe 10 years ago was around 20,000. This year I'm looking at maybe 4,000? (But it's under 15 miles to go skiing, so that's not that big of a factor. My work commute is farther, but that's down to 2x a week max.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I could see it being an additional barrier for those starting out. Doesn’t seem like a time to make big new expenditures for a hobby you are unsure of if finances are even remotely a concern.

Or those whose expenses have gone up dramatically in other areas? A coworker yesterday was saying how he can’t get out of the grocery store with less than a $500 bill per week nowadays, and that blew my mind as someone who is childfree.

MissySki

Angel Diva
FWIW, gas prices don't generally affect my decisions, but i try to drive less for the environment. I realized yesterday that my average annual miles on my car maybe 10 years ago was around 20,000. This year I'm looking at maybe 4,000? (But it's under 15 miles to go skiing, so that's not that big of a factor. My work commute is farther, but that's down to 2x a week max.
Isn’t it amazing?? I was also firmly in the 20k+ miles per year club (just for work) and down to a ridiculously low number now. I love how much leas time I spend in a car now!

I am 4 hrs from the mountain I ski at every weekend, but it’s a huge improvement deducting the work commute now.

Jilly

Staff member
I won't really be affected, but some people could be. My pass is paid. My condo is secured with the down payment. I need new boots, but have that looked after.

But general public on budgets could be affected. Most Ontarians know that the cost of gas has been more expensive in Quebec. So that is nothing new. Food is more expensive for dining out anywhere. And resorts have always been like dining in a large city for cost. I haven't seen daily lift ticket prices for any where yet. That could cut into people's budgets.

Flights - well it's always been expensive to fly anywhere in Canada or the US. It's cheaper to fly to Europe.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't speak to winter, and I don't know what role the pandemic played, but summer visitation numbers to Jackson Hole were down this summer compared to the past few years, and the same was true for the parks near us, but the Yellowstone flooding, and the airport closure through June for runway rebuild probably played a major role.

I still think some people are tired of the rapidly increasing prices and suspect number may be down a little this winter as some reconsider family trips that start around 10K for a few days of destination skiing.

At least gas prices seem to be going down some....

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Financially, I'll actually be better off this year just because I'm out of school and employed again. However, busy season and studying for the CPA exam are gonna take their toll. Still paid for a local season pass and gonna try to get out most Sundays if I can.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
My YOLO keeps getting stronger as years go on so I'll definitely still go, but will likely limit to NE resorts

We were going to goto Utah for Park City and Powder around February as part of a dual birthday gift to ourselves, but haven't booked anything so that may not happen... Especially with higher rate of flight cancellations. My coworker go stuck in IA after a conference for an additional day. ALL the outgoing flights to NJ got cancelled...

Already have a month long AirBNB ski-on/off booked at Bolton Valley so if all else fails, I'll have that at least. That'll give access to Bolton, Jay and Stowe with our Indy/Epic passes. Gas price is going to be the surprise additional cost, but I have some Amtrak and airline credit I can use to get to Burlington, and figure renting a car may be nearly equal to driving up, and I'd rather have someone/thing else move me over driving. Also...love trains. Did a cross country sleeper trip on Amtrak and it was lovely.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I could see it being an additional barrier for those starting out. Doesn’t seem like a time to make big new expenditures for a hobby you are unsure of if finances are even remotely a concern.

Or those whose expenses have gone up dramatically in other areas? A coworker yesterday was saying how he can’t get out of the grocery store with less than a $500 bill per week nowadays, and that blew my mind as someone who is childfree.
I agree with your co-worker how expensive it is at the grocery store. I can't get out of there under $300 a week for a family of 4, which is crazy. Luckily I just changed jobs with a large pay increase so I'm not stressing. Since gas prices are coming down, I don't think the economy will change how I approach this coming season.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As of today, no change actually probably will ski more. I already had passes purchased in April and gear already purchased in May. I live under 20 miles from two small resorts. And within an hour from several more.
My driving had reduced drastically now that I have a job in my hometown. I ride my bike the 1.7miles to work. So if I want to ski after work I can actually get a decent evening in without rushing.
I'm single and eat simple foods, not alot of red meat, or eating out so groceries haven't gone up a ton for me. Its noticeable but the gas savings even everything out even with the slightly less pay at the new job.

knolan12

Angel Diva
It won't be affecting our skiing - we already bought our Indy Passes for next year and put aside money for ski accommodations. We're currently only skiing in New England and the mountains we're planning are all 4 hours or under for a drive. If gas prices are still high, it'll suck, but we're fortunately in a place where we can swing the extra cost.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the better, I think.

For yours we've been going to the same place in Japan, nominally because it was super-easy with small kids: everything is included; ski school, childcare, lessons for adults, high-quality food (lobster, venison, king crab) and enough alcohol to sink a ship.

However, you pay for it, and now that the kids don't need lessons, they refuse to eat anything other than nuggets and chips and I've quit the booze I don't want to be paying those prices. So we are going to France instead, doing it ourselves and saving a tonne of money in the process.

newboots

Angel Diva
I expect that inflation will hit ticket and food prices at the resorts, probably lodging, too. Gas is better but it will still pinch for people with a long drive. So yes, I think inflation might ease crowding at the hill!

I’m single but retired. I eat mostly vegetarian food, but I’ve sure noticed the difference in food prices! The other day when my two (overstuffed) grocery bags cost me $130, I was recalling when I first started buying groceries at the age of 16. I could estimate the cost roughly at about $10/bag! 1970 prices, young’n’s!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Some might get affected. But, like everything in life, we cannt worry too much of what is going to happen in the future. By then, the news might be on to something else. They are there to get some people wiled up. Just pet your dog, take a deep breath, and read some good books. Go through some.websites showing new ski goods for fun and start to get exited. Stop watching the news all together several years ago. Waste of time. :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly