• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will skiing be safer because of COVID?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's an example of winter operations statements for Snowshoe in WV. Showshoe is owned by Alterra, on Ikon Base/Full, and also has a Snowshoe-only season passes. Note the mention of "industry guidelines" along with state and federal guidelines.

Most people who ski at Snowshoe drive 3 or more hours and stay overnight in condos either owned by the resort or privately. Folks drive from DC/NoVA, Richmond, NC, TN, Atlanta, and even FL for ski vacations. The last hour or so of driving is on 2-lane WV roads, which can be tricky when there is snow on the road. For many families, it becomes an annual tradition. The main area is an upside-down resort with a pretty large resort "village" built by Intrawest and multiple condo buildings at the top of the ridge, with lifts going down both sides. There is also another area called Silver Creek that is a free shuttle bus ride, which has lights for night skiing, and a pretty large condo building. Silver Creek was developed separately and was bought by Snowshoe at some point. There is very little off-resort lodging less than an hour from Snowshoe.

WELCOME TO THE MOUNTAIN
As we look forward to welcoming you back to the mountain, please know that we will be implementing new policies and procedures in line with state, federal and industry guidelines.
The key facets of our COVID-19 plan involve daily employee health screening requirements, maintaining physical distancing, and increased sanitation and disinfecting efforts. You will notice some changes upon your visit, including but not limited to our employees wearing masks, physical barriers at point of sale locations, an increased quantity of personal sanitization stations, and alterations to our operational procedures and programming. For more on specific areas of the resort, please explore the drop-down menu below.
We kindly ask for your help by maintaining physical distancing, following directives from our staff and staying home if you feel ill or are at risk of transmitting the COVID-19 virus. In accordance with an executive order signed by Governor Jim Justice on July 6th, all individuals age nine or above are required to wear adequate face coverings in public spaces (inside buildings, common areas, chairlift lines, etc.).
Be Safe. Be Kind. Have Fun.
WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY A LIFT TICKET?
With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage our guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.
DO I NEED A RESERVATION TO SKI/RIDE AT SNOWSHOE?
At this time, Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Snowshoe Unlimited Pass, and Early Season Pass holders will not need reservations to ski and ride during the 2020/21 winter season at Snowshoe. Guests who advance purchase a package (including lift tickets/passes and lodging, etc.) are guaranteed mountain access for the dates of their booking.
WHAT ARE HOLIDAY AND PEAK PERIODS?
Christmas: December 26, 2020 - January 2, 2021
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: January 15 - 17, 2021
Presidents Day: February 12-14, 2021
Peak Periods: Friday - Sunday, December 18, 2020 - March 13, 2021
CAN I BUY A TICKET ON THE DAY I WANT TO SKI?
To ensure access to the mountain we strongly suggest purchasing a pass (either Ikon or Snowshoe specific). At this time, we anticipate limited availability of walk-up tickets during the winter season. Some single day lift tickets may be available for day of purchases based on last minute availability.
CAN I BUY A SINGLE DAY LIFT TICKET IN ADVANCE?
We will be offering online, advanced single and multi-day lift tickets in advance. These will be available in the coming weeks. Guests are encouraged to purchase in advance to guarantee mountain access.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you know for sure those will be happening this season? In general, it will be rare for any discounted lift tickets to be available.
Hmmm.... I don't know. I was just sorta joking in response to the college student's drinking !!!!

I know at least later in past season's I have seen those deals.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmmm.... I don't know. I was just sorta joking in response to the college student's drinking !!!!

I know at least later in past season's I have seen those deals.
Fair to say that for 2020-21, past experience with season passes or lift ticket discounts won't apply. In general, the northeast has traditionally had many ways to get discounted tickets so the difference may well be more noticeable. One reason Epic, Ikon, and the MCP became so popular was that the destination resorts involved typically didn't offer discounted tickets that much. For example, even for locals it was very hard to get a discounted ticket for Jackson Hole. That's why some locals mostly just skied at Snow King in town. Snow King has 400 acres, so not exactly a small hill like the bumps in New England like Nashoba or Pat's Peak.

By the way, I think you now have enough posts to see all the Divas Only sections.

Jilly

Staff member
I know that the email I got from Tremblant, so really Ikon, stated that all discount, club, Costco tickets would NOT be honoured or sold at this point. Day tickets will be limited and only sold through the website. So if you're booking accommodations and don't have a pass, you might not get a lift ticket. I've a friend that bought his pass, but his wife didn't. He was thinking if the Men's Sales and Ad club did go on their usual trip, he would use his pass. But for them to go up and spend a weekend....she might not be able to ski.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is evidently a covid-conscious lift line at Wolf Creek this week. I suspect they are following the rule of wearing a mask "when 6' of social distancing is not possible." The 6' is possible, so they are not wearing masks. But as the line moves slowly forward these skiers are going to be breathing air exhaled by their non-mask wearing comrades because there are so many of them, and because the line is moving so slowly.

Would people here feel safe waiting in this line? Let's assume the wind is not blowing. When I envision slow-moving lift lines looking like this I definitely don't want to be standing in them wearing something less than a hazmat suit face shield and N-95. My husband and I are both vulnerable, and should either of us get the virus it is likely to be tragic.

This picture is putting a serious damper on my hope that I cna ski some this winter. What do people here think?
covid conscious lift line .JPG

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
This is evidently a covid-conscious lift line at Wolf Creek this week. I suspect they are following the rule of wearing a mask "when 6' of social distancing is not possible." The 6' is possible, so they are not wearing masks. But as the line moves slowly forward these skiers are going to be breathing air exhaled by their non-mask wearing comrades because there are so many of them, and because the line is moving so slowly.

Would people here feel safe waiting in this line? Let's assume the wind is not blowing. When I envision slow-moving lift lines looking like this I definitely don't want to be standing in them wearing something less than a hazmat suit face shield and N-95. My husband and I are both vulnerable, and should either of us get the virus it is likely to be tragic.

This picture is putting a serious damper on my hope that I cna ski some this winter. What do people here think?
I would be wearing a mask in this line, and would hope that masks would be required, right up until I was on the lift (if alone or with my bubble buds, or at least 6' away on a 6-pack).

gingerjess

Angel Diva

View attachment 14003

My level of anxiety has definitely not been low the last few months but it spiked on seeing this picture. Particularly worrying to me is that the guy scanning the passes is wholly maskless, so I wouldn't know if I could count on the mountain to actually care about other skiers' mask-wearing.

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva

View attachment 14003

From what I’ve seen, masks will be required in lift lines in New England period. They specifically say lift lines, so I think it’s actual skiing when you can breathe freely. I will have my face covered in line, and will assume others will too until I’m proven wrong. If these pictures are circulating, hopefully the resort will put a stop to the behavior. It’s bad optics if nothing else.

There is also usually a factor with time of exposure for contracting Covid. I think it’s much less likely that you would from walking through where someone else was breathing. That’s what I’ve taken away from the case studies that have come out. Transmission is way less likely outdoors and way less likely when exposure is for a very short time. So I don’t worry so much about shuffling through where someone else just was with my mask on. Surely nothing is 100%, but I’m not too worried about this part of things yet.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmmm.. I had thought all resorts were requiring masks whenever people were not actually skiing down the hill. I am pretty sure my local resort requires them at all times. When I drove up this summer, parking attendants would stop anyone not wearing a mask. Visitors come to see the views from the chairlift, or the mountain bikers, hikers, etc.
That photo is a perfect example of inconsiderate and selfish disregard to say the least.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am embarrassed to say I was misled by that photo. It's from opening day not this year but from 2018. It was used to illustrate this very recent article just beneath the headline:
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/10/26/colorado-ski-resorts-employees-2020-winter-season/247644/

It shows a lift line at Wolf Creek, which I know just opened this week. But look at the caption. I read that caption but failed to read the dates closely, allowing my assumption that the photo was current to overwrite what the printed dates were. I have bolded the dates.

Lift operator Tom Burne scans skiers and snowboarders as they wait for first chair at the Treasure Stoke chairlift on the first day of skiing for the 2018-2019 ski season at Wolf Creek Ski Area. (Provided by Christian Murdock via Wolf Creek Ski Area)

marzNC

Angel Diva
This is evidently a covid-conscious lift line at Wolf Creek this week.
Do you know if the lift was already running, or was this picture taken beforehand? Just as with any ski day, there are times when the lift line is longer or moves slower. Those can be avoided with a little planning and patience.

EDIT: wrote the question above before reading the clarification in Post #53 that the photo was from 2018, not Oct 2020.

I don't see the issue as any different than choosing when I go grocery shopping or eat indoors. There are times and places that I avoid. There are others that I'm quite comfortable with. But everyone's tolerance for risk is different.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am embarrassed to say I was misled by that photo. It's from opening day not this year but from 2018. It was used to illustrate this very recent article just beneath the headline:
https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/10/26/colorado-ski-resorts-employees-2020-winter-season/247644/

It shows a lift line at Wolf Creek, which I know just opened this week. But look at the caption. I read that caption but failed to read the dates closely, allowing my assumption that the photo was current to overwrite what the printed dates were. I have bolded the dates.

Lift operator Tom Burne scans skiers and snowboarders as they wait for first chair at the Treasure Stoke chairlift on the first day of skiing for the 2018-2019 ski season at Wolf Creek Ski Area. (Provided by Christian Murdock via Wolf Creek Ski Area)

Don’t be embarrassed, it happens! And that’s good to hear anyway! I was actually going to ask if it was surely this year as I was just looking at their social media feed, and everyone looked to have face coverings on from guests to lifties.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here’s a review from someone who skied Wolf Creek from an Ikon Pass group on Facebook. This sounds really promising. He specifically said that anyone caught trying not to wear a face covering was given the option to put it on, be given one if they don’t have one, or to leave. Apologies for some of the language, but I thought people might like to see this. I found it really hopeful..3112A2BF-F980-4C8E-966D-ED6330542CC8.png83225CD7-FC7C-4031-85BA-D79DE1738EDA.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Both Rusty Gregory and Rob Katz (CEOs of Alterra, Vail Resorts) were very clear in various interviews some months ago that mask usage would not be negotiable. They know that there are people who think masks are silly or an imposition, but that is a minor issue compared to the importance of keeping not only guests safe but also all their staff.

Airlines stopped allowing "medical exceptions" for their flights after it became obvious that too many people were using that as a loophole to avoid wearing a mask on board. Much has been learned over the summer about what it takes to keep an industry running. Limited capacity isn't ideal, but it certainly beats being completely shut down.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

That is a huge relief!

newboots

Angel Diva
She cross-posted in the non-women's-specific group and was basically told to shut up, mind her own business, and just stay home if she's such a snowflake and moderators deleted her post.

Clearly we need a women-specific mountain.

I am now wondering -- Is... drinking allowed on the slopes ?

At many mountains you can buy drinks at the lodge at the peak. Sending a message much?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly