• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will skiing be safer because of COVID?

Christy

Angel Diva
I enjoyed this article in today's Seattle Times, about how people are turning to backcountry skiing during Covid, and how steep the learning curve can be.

A pandemic winter foretells a backcountry skiing boom, but it’s not a sport to take lightly

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/o...ing-boom-but-its-not-a-sport-to-take-lightly/

“There is not a high-quality beginner ski tour in Western Washington without avalanche danger,” said Volken.

Tillman puts it more bluntly with evo customers: “Can you ski everything on the mountain [at the resort] and can you ski it in the worst conditions? If you can’t comfortably get down anything on the mountain, any day of the week, no matter how the snow is, then you’re not really ready.”

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've not been on the mountain yet - utterly insane weeks leading up to Christmas for this pastor! - but my home mountain is now Mt. Hood Meadows and I couldn't be happier. They're not taking any stupid "it's my right" crap from anyone, which in this neck of the woods could reduce the numbers.

AND the snowpack is 41" at the base and 53" mid-mtn AND we have a stack-o-storms headed our way. The early storms were wet so we have a strong base layer that will help with avy risk.

That said, it will be a slow season for me since I have been lax in training. COVID has been truly awful to deal with as a pastor. But even several laps on the beginner hill for a few days is good! ANY day on the snow is good!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
In pre-pandemic times, Friday was the new Saturday, at least at my home mountain (Okemo). I guess a lot of people just take Friday off to make it a long weekend, and it's become very busy.

I was wondering if that'd be the case now that the COVID restrictions are in place, and guess what -- it is. To be fair, terrain is limited because we haven't had much snow, and only a few lifts are running. And fewer people are getting on the lift in groups; mostly it's just one or two people, at most, on a 6-pack. So that backs things up. But I skied every day this week, and sure enough, today, Friday, was by far the most crowded. It was so bad I left after an hour and a half.

Here's the lift line at 10:30. It made me extremely uncomfortable, so that's when I bailed:

tempImagee2xtXt.png

Does that look safe to you? Not to me, either, even if it is outside and people are masked. If this is limited capacity, I'd hate to be there during a weekend.

Last edited:

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In pre-pandemic times, Friday was the new Saturday, at least at my home mountain (Okemo). I guess a lot of people just take Friday off to make it a long weekend, and it's become very busy.

I was wondering if that'd be the case now that the COVID restrictions are in place, and guess what -- it is. To be fair, terrain is limited because we haven't had much snow, and only a few lifts are running. And fewer people are getting on the lift in groups; mostly it's just one or two people, at most, on a 6-pack. So that backs things up. But I skied every day this week, and sure enough, today, Friday, was by far the most crowded. It was so bad I left after an hour and a half.

Here's the lift line at 10:30. It made me extremely uncomfortable, so that's when I bailed:

View attachment 14329

Does that look safe to you? Not to me, either, even if it is outside and people are masked. If this is limited capacity, I'd hate to be there during a weekend.

That looks like any other Friday any year! Not good!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

View attachment 14329

This makes me wonder if I should go back to my old ways of skiing from eight till nine on weekends to get some laps in before there are really any people to speak of. No matter what this is disconcerting at best. ☹️

newboots

Angel Diva
Have you considered whether it might be piriformis syndrome?

Thanks for the exercises! I think my PT was right, though, about the psoas, for a number of reasons. But the exercises are great!

MissySki

Angel Diva

View attachment 14329

I can’t tell, are these lines spaced 6 feet apart side to side or no?

newboots

Angel Diva

Pardon me, Wendy, but that is a sh*t show. Truly, if everyone is masked, and stays masked, and keeps their masks over their noses, and if everyone has quarantined (hah!), and there's a bit of a breeze, and nobody sits too close on the lift - why, you'll probably be safe. Huh.

newboots

Angel Diva

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Can anyone here who is not subscribed to the Washington Post see this? I want to know if there's a paywall on this video. I can see it, but I am a subscriber.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really "enjoyed" that video. Very good illustration of how the path of how it can travel with/without/or poorly fitting mask.
After watching the video, I'm going to continue using KN95 to ski in!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Wow. I was starting to feel bad about not skiing this year. That photo and the video cured me of any regrets.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Can anyone here who is not subscribed to the Washington Post see this? I want to know if there's a paywall on this video. I can see it, but I am a subscriber.
I was able to see it, but I had to be persistent. It kept trying to put up a nag to subscribe, and I kept reloadi g the page until it let me thru -- maybe a couple of times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna