• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Will skiing be safer because of COVID?

MissySki

Angel Diva
At many mountains you can buy drinks at the lodge at the peak. Sending a message much?

Haha true! Though I’ve been on lifts with enough people who have beer or flasks or weed in their pockets that it really wouldn’t matter whether the mountain sanctions skiing under the influence or not.

I swear there are a bunch of people at Sunday River that stake out a spot at a lodge bar and stay there all day without even actually skiing much. I think that’s fine on a yucky day (I’ve been there after a rainy morning where you’re wet and cold and some spiked hot chocolate is way more appealing than staying out), but pretty sure some do it a lot more than that haha. As long as they aren’t endangering others on the slopes I’m good with that though.

newboots

Angel Diva
Haha true! Though I’ve been on lifts with enough people who have beer or flasks or weed in their pockets that it really wouldn’t matter whether the mountain sanctions skiing under the influence or not.

But you know, it does matter. Research has shown that when leadership makes it clear that something is not okay, it really affects peoples' behavior. I learned of this when two cities had anti-Semitic incidents, and in one the mayor did nothing (more or less) and in the other, the mayor spoke out, condemned it, and worked with the local rabbi to increase awareness. We know which town continued to see the vandalism, and which didn't. I could give more recent examples but it's too political.

I don't mean to say that there wouldn't be the flasks, joints, bowls, and 6-packs on the gondola (don't forget; I've skied Killington, and I've seen it all). But if the resort is selling booze at the top, that sends a "go ahead, party!" message to the masses. It would make a difference if they stopped, and if they asked patrol to sanction out-of-control "guests."

Sorry to be so sanctimonious and prudish. I enjoy an IPA after skiing, and that raspberry hot cocoa with whipped cream at Sunday River is a reason to return! But I don't like sharing the trails with people toking up on the gondola, or drinking at the peak. I don't want to get hit from behind; I have enough trouble getting myself down the hill!

Jilly

Staff member
At Tremblant there is NO SMOKING, anything in the gondola and I think on the other lifts. They do sell really small bottles of wine and beer by the bottle at the top cafeteria. And I've seen this at most Quebec hills. So really there it's a cultural thing at lunch.

I know that I can't ski after a drink....So it's apres for me.

Opening day is the 20th....

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No après for me, but it's a rare day for me to be après-ing anyway. First ski trip coming up next month. Hope there's snow!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I expect to:
-Mask up where necessary, in lines, in crowds, in stores
-Eat in the condo more
-Time my grocery shopping to avoid the what's for dinner rush

Not sure if there will be fewer or more people on the mountain. Am going mid-week and that's the best I can do.

Not sure if condo rules require bringing my own linens and blankets/sleeping bag.

I'll take my xc skis just in case, just because the xc area, Tamarack, is so uncrowded in comparison to downhill.

I also expect to encounter a lot of idiot drivers on the highway.

But I am looking forward to getting away. I think.

newboots

Angel Diva
After today (day before Election Day in the US) and tomorrow getting away will be a goal in itself. Between pandemic, election, moving and breaking up with Mr. Blizzard my anxiety is beyond awful.

I joined the Hudson Valley Ski Club and hope to make some ski friends Near my new home.

newboots

Angel Diva
That's great that you joined a new ski club and will make lots of new friends !
Don't forget you'll also be close to your grandchild !

Aww, thanks! And I haven’t forgotten! I scored an apartment about 7 blocks away from their house!

I’m curious about the ski club, though. They hike in the off season, and kayak. And they have meetings monthly in a restaurant! Down from twice monthly pre-Covid. I wonder about indoor meetings at a pub!

Also, they have trips planned with nary a mention of testing or quarantine. One coming right up in December for Smuggs. 4 people to a room (quite cheap) but ... really? It looks like a bunch of retired folks, with some younger ones, too. Maybe they’ve known each other for years and it feels safe to them.

I’m just a bit of a wreck right now so everything pushes my anxiety buttons. Thanks for the good thoughts! Let’s pray for a rapid end to this election so we can go back to worrying about the virus!!

Christy

Angel Diva
Aww, thanks! And I haven’t forgotten! I scored an apartment about 7 blocks away from their house!

I’m curious about the ski club, though. They hike in the off season, and kayak. And they have meetings monthly in a restaurant! Down from twice monthly pre-Covid. I wonder about indoor meetings at a pub!

Also, they have trips planned with nary a mention of testing or quarantine. One coming right up in December for Smuggs. 4 people to a room (quite cheap) but ... really? It looks like a bunch of retired folks, with some younger ones, too. Maybe they’ve known each other for years and it feels safe to them.

I’m just a bit of a wreck right now so everything pushes my anxiety buttons. Thanks for the good thoughts! Let’s pray for a rapid end to this election so we can go back to worrying about the virus!!

Yikes. For perspective, that's not legal in most of Washington right now. We can only dine indoors with people from our own household. Sharing hotel rooms??

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Between pandemic, election, moving and breaking up with Mr. Blizzard my anxiety is beyond awful.

I really feel that. Not presently going through a breakup, but I'm self-medicating with ice cream, Twizzlers, takeout dumplings, and basically whatever else I suddenly have a craving for.

I do hope that your new friends in the ski club are able to help carry you through this difficult time and that the norms they have are ones you're able to feel safe with—I know that during my divorce, having people who were "just mine" was so amazingly valuable to me.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yikes. For perspective, that's not legal in most of Washington right now. We can only dine indoors with people from our own household. Sharing hotel rooms??

Not legal in Vermont, either.

It’s not just me, right? I know if you’ve known someone forever it really feels safe. I have this problem with my daughter and family. It feels absurd that one of them could infect me, especially the baby! But of course they could.

I’m not going to Smuggler’s Notch, anyway. If I come to Vermont, quarantine, test, etc. I will ski with my local friends. At Okemo.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
It’s not just me, right? I know if you’ve known someone forever it really feels safe. I have this problem with my daughter and family. It feels absurd that one of them could infect me, especially the baby! But of course they could.

It's definitely not just you; it just feels so subjective though. No one wants to be a spoilsport...

newboots

Angel Diva
I really feel that. Not presently going through a breakup, but I'm self-medicating with ice cream, Twizzlers, takeout dumplings, and basically whatever else I suddenly have a craving for.

I do hope that your new friends in the ski club are able to help carry you through this difficult time and that the norms they have are ones you're able to feel safe with—I know that during my divorce, having people who were "just mine" was so amazingly valuable to me.

Thanks, @gingerjess! I do feel I have some good support. The New York divas and I are planning several trips and sharing pass vs. discount card calculations. I’m taking Pilates with @Abbi. Even if I don’t want to drink in a pub with the ski club members (though any other time it would be fine!), it looks like a good group. Very supportive, lessons, informal ski buddy pairings on their Facebook page, as well as the ski trips. And I will probably pick up a job (I applied to be a contact tracer and the need is only going up).

My closest friends here are having a brief gathering goodbye for me, but they often go to the Hudson Valley for rock climbing and have thought about moving there. So it’s not entirely goodbye.

If we can just make it past the election, and the stress of moving should be over by 11/19, I’ll be much better.

Sorry for wringing my hands and rending my garment all over the forum tonight. And thanks everybody for lending a shoulder!

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fair to say that for 2020-21, past experience with season passes or lift ticket discounts won't apply. In general, the northeast has traditionally had many ways to get discounted tickets so the difference may well be more noticeable. .

For sure that may be, I don't have that much knowledge for sure, but for clarity, it's a spring and late season all day and night type pass I've seen. Normally (well, in the past) Bolton has 25.00 passes to ski from 4pm-10pm - not even discounted just normal price. And very late season I have seen them extend all day that price, just as a regular offering. And they (just checked cos I was curious) also had regular Monday skiing for 29.00. I really do not know if they will have that this year as they manage crowds. Or maybe they will if VT skiing is down due to restrictions. I guess we will all TBD. Thanks for all the learning here, BTW that you share!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's the skinny on Bolton Valley in particular from the President, Lindsay DesLauriers. Clearly won't be discounted tickets.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here's the skinny on Bolton Valley in particular from the President, Lindsay DesLauriers. Clearly won't be discounted tickets.

Haha was literally watching on my other screen as I opened this thread. Love to see a woman running things there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna