• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wildhorn Outfitters Jacket and Helmet

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of you heard of Wildhorn Outfitters? Yeah, I never had, either. They're based in Utah and only sell online. And they have a variety of gear for skiing and riding at extremely affordable prices.

Not long ago they sent me a jacket and a helmet to review, and I was very impressed by all that you get for a very affordable price.

Here's the jacket:
Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 2.00.57 PM.png

It's the Frontera, and it has a lot of good features: pit zips, critically taped seams, powder skirt, interior goggle pocket, helmet compatible hood, sleeve pass pocket, thumbhole cuffs, tricot lined collar. Granted, it's not highly technical like Patagonia or Arc'tyrex (it only has a 12K waterproof/breathability rating). But if you don't want to spend a lot of money, or if you know someone who's just getting started in skiing or boarding and doesn't want to invest a fortune, truly, not a bad way to go. It was attractive, the fit was good and comfortable, and it seemed nicely made.

Wildhorn also sent me their Drift helmet with audio chips. Not a bad helmet -- again, I'd term it an entry-level or economy helmet. But it was comfortable, easy to adjust, and lightweight. I own both Smith and Pret helmets, which honestly feel higher end. But again, for anyone who needs a helmet and doesn't want to pay Smith or Pret prices, a good way to go (it's only $80). I checked out reviews on Amazon, and they're overwhelmingly positive. So clearly, it meets a need. The audio chips work well, too (I love skiing to music!). They're wireless and hook up to your phone via Bluetooth.

Here I am in the jacket and helmet:

IMG_2216.jpeg

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
The jacket fits you so nicely!

Remind me, were you a little iffy about skiing with music initially? I feel like I remember that being said somewhere, but I could be making it up too haha. In any case, I'm glad you tried it and like it, I really like using wireless chips in my helmet for solo ski days.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The jacket fits you so nicely!

Remind me, were you a little iffy about skiing with music initially? I feel like I remember that being said somewhere, but I could be making it up too haha. In any case, I'm glad you tried it and like it, I really like using wireless chips in my helmet for solo ski days.

If I was iffy about music, it was a long time ago. I've been using it for a few years, first via headphones connected to an Apple Shuffle, and more recently with Bluetooth chips.

MissySki

Angel Diva
If I was iffy about music, it was a long time ago. I've been using it for a few years, first via headphones connected to an Apple Shuffle, and more recently with Bluetooth chips.

Ahh okay, apparently I wasn't caught up on that then haha.

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just discovered them in my recent gear upgrade! I tried ordering the drift helmet, but I didn't like the way it fit me. My head measures 54/55cm (sometimes hard to measure on your own!) and I found the medium too big and the small just didn't fit as well/feel as comfortable as the Smith Mirage that I ended up going with. But I loved the look and price point of it. I did order the audio chips, which I'm excited to use (they work in the Smith helmet just fine). And I ordered the Roca goggles with magnetic lenses. I like them overall, though I'm currently deciding whether to keep the adult or junior version, as they do fit a bit large on the face (though this is also my first pair of spherical lenses, so that's probably part of it).

SMichael08

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Disregard the holiday mess (damn mirrored goggles!), but for reference, here is the Wildhorn helmet that I returned, as well as the adult and junior goggles. I actually like the seal of the adult goggles along the side of my face, but they just look so huge without ti he helmet!

Attachments

• 85787A6E-FAEC-403A-BB7F-AAACB956EDFD.jpeg
    85787A6E-FAEC-403A-BB7F-AAACB956EDFD.jpeg
    476.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 77337C72-44FA-4503-A046-D1DC212E6220.jpeg
    77337C72-44FA-4503-A046-D1DC212E6220.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 116D9E64-A3AA-4891-8E55-9F38A5D78882.jpeg
    116D9E64-A3AA-4891-8E55-9F38A5D78882.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 508A3092-21DB-4A72-9294-4C4A14529DD0.jpeg
    508A3092-21DB-4A72-9294-4C4A14529DD0.jpeg
    476.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 2D68FE31-4493-425F-9C10-55D1BB4AC6BE.jpeg
    2D68FE31-4493-425F-9C10-55D1BB4AC6BE.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 22

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kudos to the customer service team at Wildhorn! I ordered a Wildhorn helmet that was too big and forgot to return it. I contacted Wildhorn many months later over the summer to ask if I could have a discount to order a smaller helmet. Wildhorn completely surpassed my expectations... they exchanged my helmet free of charge! I also use the Wildhorn helmet earphones which work nicely for listening to audiobooks on the chairlift when I’m skiing alone.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I have a very nice pair of their goggles, that I was using until this season, when I got some Aboms.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
My kids and I all have their speaker inserts. We LOVE them. I bought mine last year, full price, and decided to get them each a pair for Christmas. The plan was to get them over the course of a year, so I didn't have to bear the brunt of $70 x 3 all at once. Sometimes procrastination pays off, because sure enough, they had a 30% off Black Friday sale and I snapped them up! And I found out accidentally that you can answer calls without taking your phone out of your pocket, too.
https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/products/alta-bluetooth-helmet-headphones

MagicForest

Certified Ski Diva
My husband bought a Wildhorn helmet, but unfortunately after one lesson decided skiing wasn't for him, and I could use his helmet. Even though I like the color of his blue helmet better than my bright orange one I never wear his because it's not super comfortable. My Giro helmet is more comfortable and better quality (it's a MIPS helmet). Still it's good to have a backup if i ever need it.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I have the Wildhorn speaker chips that I use in my Giro helmet. Love them! Easy to use with large buttons that you can push through the helmet ear pads to skip or go back a song or two and adjust the volume. Pause too. Also a microphone but I don’t talk to people when I’m skiing if I can help it, lol! I never have to take my phone out of my backpack when I’m skiing. The sound is great. Love skiing to music! Highly recommend.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone used their bootbag? I love the look of it, more backpack style and less obviously 'I'm a bootbag' so I was thinking it might be less awkward feeling than my Kulkea which rides high on my back and isn't too comfortable.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use their cinch straps for my hammock - I’m super impressed with their quality, especially since the straps were $8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna