• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why is your home resort your home resort?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Is it location? Great lift pass deals? Terrain? What is it that made you select the resort you call "home?"

For me, it's primarily geography. I live pretty much between Okemo and Killington, though a bit closer to Okemo. So Okemo is easier to get to. Plus I have a lot of friends who ski there. I can pretty much guarantee that any time I go over to ski, I'll find someone to ski with. So it makes it pretty social for me, too.

What about you?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Blue Mountain is my home resort. As far as Poconos* skiing goes, it has the longest and most interesting runs. It's only 30 minutes from home along easy back roads, and is open until 10pm every night.

Blue gets insanely crowded on weekends, but if you're a season passholder you get access to a "VIP" lift line, which means you skip the main corral and only have to wait a minute or three for the lift, usually. And if you arrive at 8am on a weekend you can get two solid hours of amazingly uncrowded skiing before the crowds really show up. Weeknights are generally uncrowded except for school groups, but they are predictable and avoidable.

Also there is a bar at the top of the mountain and a bar at the bottom, which makes me feel safe: no matter where I am, I'm headed toward beer. :becky:

*It's not technically the Poconos, but has de facto Pocono status.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Schweitzer is now my home resort because I live a 10 minute walk from the village (8 if I hustle). :smile: DH and I decided to move here because of all the places we'd skied on vacations, it was the best combination of terrain we enjoy, a relaxed & uncrowded feel, and "affordable" housing.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Mohawk is our "local" home resort. It's a small, family-run mountain and the largest in Connecticut. It also has the benefit of proximity. In 40 minutes, I can be booted up and waiting for first chair. There are just enough runs for a solid 2 hours of weekend morning "eat-your-broccoli" skiing before the ski school hits the hill and we head home, stopping at Kent Coffee & Chocolate for chai on the way.

Stratton is our "away" home resort. We were introduced to Stratton by friends who had a condo there and made us feel welcome. As we were learning, we appreciated the Tamarack area which is all greens and away from any advanced runs, making it a good place for beginners. For many years, our Christmas vacation was spent with our godkids at Stratton - 6 of us in a condo for a week of skiing, snowshoeing, doing puzzles, having nachos at Mulligans, and building gingerbread house villages on the dining room table. Stratton also happens to be 30 minutes away from the mothership of all independent bookstores. After 11 years, Stratton feels like home, and someday we hope to be there, or nearby, permanently.

newboots

Angel Diva
My home mountain used to be Berkshire East, which was a great place to start. Sweet old lodge, local people I knew from work and friends skiing there, and decent terrain for learning.

I moved to Vermont and I'm skiing at Killington, primarily because it's dear BF's home mountain. He loves it because it opens so early and closes so late, makes a lot of snow, and has a lot of challenging terrain. I'm not yet interested in challenging terrain! But I've found my collection of easy trails to work on skills (Easy Street, Caper, Great Northern, Bear Cub) and manageable (and challenging) blues (Cruise Control, Needle's Eye). But I kind of prefer Pico - old-fashioned, single lodge, pleasant trails.

The closest ski area to my house is Suicide Six. I'm going to get there one of these days. I hear it's a lot like Berkshire East!

QCskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tough question but this season it seems that Mont Sutton is quickly becoming my go-to mountain. It is a great mountain with lots of glade skiing and when they have had fresh snow it is fantastic. The people who work here are always so friendly and I always enjoy myself when I come here.

kiki

Angel Diva
My home mountain is Whistler. It is a long drive (2-3 hrs each way) and there are closer hills, however the closer hills are lower in elevation and we get a LOT of rain. They are slushy and icy and cloudy when there is still nice snow and clear skies at Whistler. And the local hills are extremely crowded. In the end, it is all about the snow!!!

Who knows what future years will hold, though, the drive really sucks, and is a huge investment of time.

Christy

Angel Diva
Crystal Mountain is further from Seattle than either Stevens Pass or the four areas of Snoqualmie Pass, so it's less crowded; it doesn't have a half pipe or much of a park, so that crowd does elsewhere; it tends to attract really good skiers so the blues and mellower blacks that I ski aren't crowded (people are often doing gnarlier stuff); and it's the most beautiful of the ski areas in the Central Cascades. It's also the end of the road on the way to a pass that's closed for the winter, so there's no cross-state traffic or truck traffic to cause accidents and problems on the roads.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Hunter Mtn is ours b/c we're based out of NYC and we looked at the children's programs for all of them in the surrounding area. we wrote off Vermont and NH and Adirondacks b/c of the distance/time on the road each weekend. out of a collection of them, we felt that Hunter had the strongest children's season program. it's not too bad a drive - 2.5 hour drive one way each weekend, but with NYC traffic or car crashes/construction on the interstate, that can easily get up to 3.5 or 4 hours of a drive. they also do their best to extend the season by blowing snow in the early season and keeping the mountain open as long as possible.

previously to our daughter skiing, we didn't have a home mountain but we would frequently take trips in NH/VT and out west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten is my home resort because the other small hills within a half-day drive of my house in central NC are too crowded on weekends and don't have a dedicated lift that only serves the hardest terrain even for night skiing. Found Mnut originally because we own timeshare. But having lots of lodging options in nearby Harrisonburg is a plus as well. Also has the best ski school in the region in my opinion. Good for children and adults of all ability levels. Mnut actually has more vertical than ski hills in PA.

For trips out west, Alta is my favorite. Started dong annual late season trips about 10 years ago. Hope to continue for quite a while.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I call Tremblant my "home" mountain, even though I have a number of closer areas, including one I can see from my house. However, I prefer Tremblant even with the hour drive. Way way way more terrain and variety. And friends to go with.

My experience is different from @Jilly's. She stays in the village on the South side - restaurants, bars, lots of action. My friends and I base ourselves at the North side - easier parking and access to lifts. Much less of a "big resort" vibe. So Jilly and I, when we do meet up, do so at the summit, ski together, then our ways part at the end of the day.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our home mountain is Cannon, due to proximity to our place in NH and the low crowds, laid back vibe, and good terrain. Our passes are good at few mountains, so we get around a bit in NH, but Cannon is home.

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
I call Winter Park my home mountain because it's where my dad and his friends go, and since none of my friends ski I started out skiing with them several years ago - and until this season most of my ski days were spent with my dad. It isn't the closest resort but it's closer than most, and the less time spent on I70 the better. WP also has a wide enough terrain selection I can typically find any kind of run I want. Except a groomer on a powder day, you aren't going to find that.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
As my username implies, Garmisch-Partenkirchen was my home resort when I lived-in Munich. It was 1 hour door to door from my apartment (of course there is no speed limit on the way and my car was fast...). It is where I learned to ski and will always have a special place in my heart :-)

Now it is Grandvalira, in tiny Andorra. It is not the closest to Toulouse, but it is quite large, it's beautiful territory, and it's fun in the summer as well. Well located, once there you can drive down the French side to Toulouse (or the Mediterranean), or down the Spanish side to Barcelona (on the Mediterranean), in almost the same amount of time. The Pyrenees are low, so there is not always tons of snow, but being close and going often is better for me than planning for the one long trip. Oh, and there is another resort in Andorra I haven't been to - but plan to visit at some point.

However, I still go around to other stations in the Pyrenees - in France and Spain.

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My friends and I base ourselves at the North side - easier parking and access to lifts.
I didn't realize Tremblant has another base that's accessible from the north side. Doh!:doh:

What are the good bed base to access the north side, if you don't mind me asking?

mustski

Angel Diva
Snow Summit is my home mountain due to proximity. I live in San Diego so surfing is close - skiing... not so much. On a Friday night, it takes us 3.5 hrs to drive up, but only 2.5 home on Sunday. It's a small mountain and lacking in terrain, but the closest big mountain is Mammoth and that is 6.5 hrs away which is too far for a weekend trip. Retirement is coming soon so all of this will change!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly