• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why backcountry guides don't use pole straps

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is very interesting. Before I started using the Leki poles with the clip on them as demonstrated to me by @ski diva I never use the straps either. I had been talking with one of my doctors who said there would be a chance of jamming a wrist or a finger. So even on groommed trails I was holding my pole. Now with arthritic fingers I count on the clip to keep them with me and they should break loose.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ugh this freaks me out!! I have Lekis too and really hate skiing without them locked in.. Last season at Big Sky I forgot my straps on a different pair of gloves back in the hotel so I skied without the straps for a day and it was SO WEIRD. I didn't feel like I could swing my poles nicely because I was afraid of flinging them out of my hands or something and felt I had to hold on tighter which made me more tense in my hands.. I guess I should work on this though, at least for when skiing west. I would think the poles would likely break free in an avalanche, but if you just slip into a tree well there is a real possibility that wouldn't happen right?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Ugh this freaks me out!! I have Lekis too and really hate skiing without them locked in.. Last season at Big Sky I forgot my straps on a different pair of gloves back in the hotel so I skied without the straps for a day and it was SO WEIRD. I didn't feel like I could swing my poles nicely because I was afraid of flinging them out of my hands or something and felt I had to hold on tighter which made me more tense in my hands.. I guess I should work on this though, at least for when skiing west. I would think the poles would likely break free in an avalanche, but if you just slip into a tree well there is a real possibility that wouldn't happen right?
That is interesting to hear you say that; I have never used straps (too concerned about getting them caught on my wrists in a fall, etc), but have never had difficulty swinging my poles. In fact, I often hold my poles with just my thumb and one or two fingers when I'm doing quick pole touches. Only time I've lost my pole was occasionally when I planted it too deep while moving in the lift line, and then I was glad I didn't have the strap on, as I probably would have jammed my wrist.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That is interesting to hear you say that; I have never used straps (too concerned about getting them caught on my wrists in a fall, etc), but have never had difficulty swinging my poles. In fact, I often hold my poles with just my thumb and one or two fingers when I'm doing quick pole touches. Only time I've lost my pole was occasionally when I planted it too deep while moving in the lift line, and then I was glad I didn't have the strap on, as I probably would have jammed my wrist.

I think it's just having become used to one thing from doing it for so long and then it felt weird to do something else. Hopefully if I try it on a more regular basis it'll become more comfortable.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was told by an instructor not to use the wrist straps in the trees when I first started tree skiing about 15 years ago. These days I don't go on the trees that often, but I still rarely use the straps- only on steeps where I really don't want to climb back up to retrieve them ( probably after a wipe out :yardsale:)

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exact same experience for me! I think I'm just so used to not using the pole straps, so I don't feel like i have to hold on very tight while pole planting. Occasionally I'll even crash and find that I'm still holding one or both poles. I usually let go of them though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna