• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Why are lift passes so expensive?

alison wong

Angel Diva
Was that from before or after you took your trip to Europe?
It was couple years after my Val D’Isere trip. We stayed at a ski chalet in Val D’Isere side and had half board option (breakfast + dinner). I remembered the same staff served our breakfast around 7-8 am and dinner around 8-9 pm everyday. I wonder how many hours they work, seems to me they work 12-14 hours day (there were days we did not finish dinner until 10 pm). I don't know if they are "seasonal workers" or family members of the chalet. My french was not good enough to ask such questions.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
This is very interesting. I love hearing about the differences and why.
Where I live (Andorra) is pretty unique . The entire country is mountains and without them being managed there would be no tourists and no income . Many years ago we had a reputation for being cheap but that has changed. A lot. Its now pretty high end with ski pass prices to match the Alps. Saying that, there is one great little resort that's just €19 a day. Apres ski is way cheaper than the Alps. Even on the mountain is good ( eg for 2 people : 1kg tbone steak, platter of grilled veggies, cheese board, bottle of red wine ( crianza) and water and coffee, €70) and very good quality.

We have Allandorra passes..thats 350km+ of pistes plus loads of freeride areas. Cost ? €440 for the whole year. Spoiled ......

marzNC

Angel Diva
An example of what "off-piste" means in France. The attitude towards what to expect feels very different than for "in bounds" ungroomed terrain in the U.S. Has a happy ending, but very scary for all involved. At the end, a patroller notes that "the accident happened near the piste, but it is still off-piste. It is important to note that only the open and marked pistes are secured and patrolled by the pisteurs."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly