• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who makes what?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
The ski equipment universe is a lot smaller than you might think. I found the following info on EpicSki, and it was a real eye opener for me:

Amer group: Atomic and Salomon share common ownership under Amer, though each brand's premium models are still made in Austria and France, respectively. US distribution of both is moving to Utah next year. Amer also owns Bonfire clothing and has an interest in Arc'Teryx clothing.

Tecnica Group: Tecnica boots, Nordica boots/skis, Dolomite boots, Rollerblade, Lowa footwear. Tecnica boots are made in Italy, Nordica boots in Hungary, and Nordica skis by Fischer in the Ukraine and Austria. Depending on which rumor you believe, US distribution of Tecnica, Nordica and Dolomite is in New Hampshire.

K2 Corp: K2, Völkl, Line and Marker bindings. All K2s and Lines are built in China. Most Völkls are still made in Germany, though a couple of models are made in China by K2. Marker bindings are made in the Czech Republic. US K2 distribution is in Seattle. Völkl and Marker USA are in New Hampshire. Also owns Red Feather/Tubbs snowshoes and Marmot clothing

Quicksilver group: Rossignol, Dynastar, Roxy, Look, Lange. Lots of production shared between these brands. Rossi makes skis in both France and Spain while I believe Dynastar is still entirely in France. US distribution of all just moved to Utah.

Elan is the OEM manufacturer for Armada. The US distribution of Elan was transferred from the Tecnica group to Dalbello (Andover, NH) last week.

Head and Fischer are family run operations. And since Fischer makes skis for a number of other companies, they're the largest ski manufacturer. Many cheap "package" skis from many different brands that you see at big box stores are made by Fischer and Elan.

Also:
4Frnt and Armada skis are made by a mix of Elan and Atomic.
Rossignol bindings are made by Look.
Atomic bindings are made by Salomon.
Roxy is made by Dynastar and Rossignol.
Nordica and Blizzard bindings are made by Marker.
Elan and Fischer bindings are made by Tyrolia.
4Frnt bindings are made by VIST.

Jilly

Staff member
Amer also owns the name Volant. Remember the stainless steel skis. There was talk of bringing them back for the "doctor-lawyer" type skiers. I've also heard a rumour that Nordica is not going to make skis next year.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly said:
Amer also owns the name Volant. Remember the stainless steel skis. There was talk of bringing them back for the "doctor-lawyer" type skiers. I've also heard a rumour that Nordica is not going to make skis next year.

I just checked with the Gear Guru himself, Phil(omena). Per him...

Yes, Amer owns Volant, they bought it from Gen-X who bought Volant out about 7 years ago. They have never left the market but have gone to limited distribution. Volant does want to get back to being that "doctor/lawyer" type ski. Amer will be happy if they sell (only) 200/pr. a year....worldwide! Dynamic skis are also under Amer.

As far as Nordica not making skis..it couldn't be further from the truth. With the purchase of Blizzard (another manufacturing plant), Nordica is positioning themselves to being one of the largest premier manufacturers in the world. They will be a force in the ski industry for many years to come.

K2 also has Fulltilt ski boots, they are the old Raichle & Kneissl Flexon.

Jilly

Staff member
Could be we're not going to get Nordica in Canada or they are going to use the Blizzard name. Keeping the Nordica name for boots only. I see lots of names in Ski and Skiing that don't cross the border. Got a PK with Atomic tonight should be interesting.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly said:
Could be we're not going to get Nordica in Canada or they are going to use the Blizzard name. Keeping the Nordica name for boots only. I see lots of names in Ski and Skiing that don't cross the border. Got a PK with Atomic tonight should be interesting.
This is not a Canada thing, there are some changes in the industry this year but plans for Nordica to stop distribution in Canada is not on the table. In fact I think you'll see them kick it up a notch with the aquisition of Blizzard for more production.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What does this imply for consumers?

Is it that different brands owned by the same parent are really the same ski?

Or is it that corporate overhead, distribution, and manufacturing are shared for cost savings?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 has owned Volkl for a few years and they haven't made any drastic changes to make the skis similar. There are other changes I questioned, like moving manufacturing to china. Thus far the quality is in tact. We will see what the future holds.

You might see some "make-up" skis shared on the lower levels but the mid to upper skis will all keep each particular brands characteristics

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here's something new: Tecnica just annouced that it's acquired Blizzard.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
Here's something new: Tecnica just annouced that it's acquired Blizzard.

Ski Diva said:
Tecnica Group: Tecnica boots, Nordica boots/skis, Dolomite boots, Rollerblade, Lowa footwear. Tecnica boots are made in Italy, Nordica boots in Hungary, and Nordica skis by Fischer in the Ukraine and Austria. Depending on which rumor you believe, US distribution of Tecnica, Nordica and Dolomite is in New Hampshire.

SnowHot said:
This is not a Canada thing, there are some changes in the industry this year but plans for Nordica to stop distribution in Canada is not on the table. In fact I think you'll see them kick it up a notch with the aquisition of Blizzard for more production.

You can see by these quotes that this is true, but not necessarily a brand new piece of information;)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oops. Just saw it in the ski trade press, though.

As always, Snowhot, when it comes to gear, you're ahead of us all.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski Diva said:
Oops. Just saw it in the ski trade press, though.

As always, Snowhot, when it comes to gear, you're ahead of us all.
Sorry, I don't mean to be a "know it all" but ski gear information stays in my head and won't get out:eek:

Jilly

Staff member
Hey gal, toot your own horn!! We need to hear the Diva's side of things, not the other way!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I've been wrong more than once. I have a voice inside my head that tells me I'm wrong,(it sounds a lot like Phil dinging me on AIM):rolleyes:

On a serious note..........
I think the SkiDivas of today are far more knowledgable about their gear than they used to be.
I think we are a formidable force!

Jilly, you are certainly a diva who's got it together!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna