• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who is planning on skiing on Thanksgiving?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will start: I am going to a closest semi-big mountain, Snowshoe in VW with my friend for 3 nights, starting their opening day (November 27th). Snowshoe has been making snow and I am stalking the webcam, it looks really good so far and the forecast most nights and days even in the 20s F, with some occasional snowfall. So they should be able to make plenty of snow before opening. Snowshoe posted on facebook that they upgraded their snowmaking and are hoping to have more trails open on the opening day than they usually have. Can't wait to be skiing!

Christy

Angel Diva
We'll head up to Whistler on Wed afternoon of the holiday for our annual T-day trip. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday by far so I'm happy to spend it in Canada on the slopes then eating take out sushi in front of the fire with my dog. Oh and watching ski racing from Lake Louise in the Roundhouse bar at lunch rather then football. Yeah Canada!

Geez, this is soon, isn't it. I better start getting in shape for ski season.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll head up to Whistler on Wed afternoon of the holiday for our annual T-day trip. Thanksgiving is my least favorite holiday by far so I'm happy to spend it in Canada on the slopes then eating take out sushi in front of the fire with my dog. Oh and watching ski racing from Lake Louise in the Roundhouse bar at lunch rather then football. Yeah Canada!

Geez, this is soon, isn't it. I better start getting in shape for ski season.
Sounds like a super fun trip! Yeah I can't believe Thanksgiving break is in 2.5 weeks. I have been doing ok for getting in shape for ski season, managing to have 2-4 workouts a week, between Bikram yoga, running and some strength training using my own body weight. The only thing I wasn't as happy with is that I gained a little bit of weight over the summer and struggling to get rid of it. But it's not a huge deal. I am feeling good physically and I think I got a bit stronger.

mustski

Angel Diva
I am hoping to ski on Thanksgiving! Traditionally, our local resort gets a couple of WRODs open for then and we ski them in the morning. It's my warm up plan. However, the weather in SoCal, after a nice early cold spell, has turned uncooperative again. So, we will see. I guess it's TBA.

altagirl

Staff member
Only if the skiing is decent. Solitude and Brighton were open this weekend, but it was 50-60 degrees in the valley and our trails are in the best shape of the year. Skiing very marginal early season conditions vs. biking/running on perfect trails in a tank top and shorts is a no brainer for me. I'll wait until the skiing is a little better - whenever that happens this year!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am hoping to ski on Thanksgiving! Traditionally, our local resort gets a couple of WRODs open for then and we ski them in the morning. It's my warm up plan. However, the weather in SoCal, after a nice early cold spell, has turned uncooperative again. So, we will see. I guess it's TBA.
It was 96 here yesterday. Truly awful.

I was thinking of Snowbowl in Flagstaff, but they will likely be scrambling to be open by the 29th which is their projected date. Tim and I have other plans that day anyway - we may ski there when I pick him up before Christmas. We'll still come up and ski with you over Christmastime though!

B

B.E.G.

I want to! I did last year. Snow conditions weren't the greatest but that early in the season, who cares?

The Vail-owned resorts are projecting to open next weekend weather permitting - we'll see what happens. Anyone who skis Northstar/Kirkwood/Heavenly interested in going if they're open? I'll be around... ;)

mustski

Angel Diva
It was 96 here yesterday. Truly awful.

I was thinking of Snowbowl in Flagstaff, but they will likely be scrambling to be open by the 29th which is their projected date. Tim and I have other plans that day anyway - we may ski there when I pick him up before Christmas. We'll still come up and ski with you over Christmastime though!
We are counting on it! I am still hopeful for a Thanksgiving WROD!

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Taos opening day is Thanksgiving, and with no family in town and no other plans, you bet we will be skiing! They've already gotten some good snow dumps (and more on the way) so coverage should be excellent...(keeping fingers crossed!)

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snowshoe just announced the trails they'll have open on the opening day. At least two and half top to bottom runs, 1 blue and 1.5 green. Can't wait to be on the snow - 1 more week before I will be skiing!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We'll be up in the Pocono's with DH's family for Thanksgiving, so if it looks promising, we'll probably take our skis up. Hoping maybe Jack Frost gets open by then? :goodluck:

Perty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not that we celebrate Thanksgiving on this side of the pond, but I will be skiing in Zermatt 27th and 28th November. Can't wait!
.:ski3:

The Alps have been having a proper pre season dump and conditions are looking so good that I have heard resorts are opening a few lifts early, for free, and on the basis that they aren't going to bash the pistes. Basically free off piste skiing! Though where I am going there is proper early season pistes open and we have to pay.

Carlinski

Diva in Training
My roommate and I were planning to go the day after Thanksgiving, but she got scheduled to work. :( I might call a few of my other friends and see if they want to go. They are all snowboarders :crazy: , but I guess that's okay.

Christy

Angel Diva
It doesn't sound like any of us will be getting powder days on Thanksgiving! It feels like it's been nothing but sun and blue skies here in Seattle for weeks on end, though technically it's only been 6 days. It's just so weird to need sunglasses in November. This is typically our wettest, stormiest time of year. I am not super excited about skiing Whistler when it won't have snowed in 10 days, but I always knew one of these years Thanksgiving was bound to be not so great. Anyway, apparently dry weather across the entire US is quite unusual and I like this blog post about this Thanksgiving's weather by a UW meteorologist:
https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

The Chanukah-Thanksgiving Weather Miracle

The last time it occurred was 1888 and the next occurrence won't be for 77,000 years: The first day of Chanukah and Thanksgiving will occur on the same day, called Thanksgivukkah by some.

What do you think are the implications of combining "The Festival of Lights" with the day of gratitude for the blessings provided to our nation by a higher power (to paraprhase George Washington's proclamation of November 26, 1789)? The answer should be clear to anyone that is meteorologically inclined: a day with a great deal of sunshine over the entire nation. A day with a lack of storminess and ill-weather. And here in the favored Pacific Northwest we should be particularly blessed, because we deserve it.

Let me begin with the national outlook for Thanksgiving Day. Below is the GFS model forecast
by the National Weather Service that is valid at 4 PM Thursday PST (7 PM Thursday EST). This forecast shows three-hour precipitation (shading) and sea level pressure.

The signs of divine intervention (or at least Thanksgivukkah intervention) are obvious.

Precipitation is supernaturally avoiding virtually the ENTIRE US. Where there is precipitation over the ocean, it suddenly ends at the coasts. The only exception is far NW Washington State, but not many folks live there and most of those watch Canadian TV. In other words, they don't count.

But there is more. Look at the sea level pressure pattern (solid lines). High pressure dominates most of the nation and there are no low pressure centers or storms influencing the U.S. mainland. Even most of Alaska is experiencing high pressure. As a trained meteorologist let me assure you that to see the entire U.S. spared of inclement weather in late November is a miracle of the first order.

Living in God's country here in the Northwest, we can, of course, expect a special benediction by this confluence of Chanukah and Thanksgiving. Plus, we suffer from bad weather more than most and are thus more deserving of special intervention. Monday, November 25th, will be the 6th straight day without rain, during a period when the climatological chance of rain is around 65%! And the chances looks certain that Puget Sound will go without measurable rain at least through Wednesday (8 days), with some light rain late on Thanksgiving.

Does the number eight (8) ring any bells with you? It should. The miracle of Chanukah was that there was enough oil in the temple for one day, but it lasted a full eight days. Here is Seattle we will enjoy eight dry days, when we would have been lucky to have had one. Profound and bit scary.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll will be skiing Snowmass on Thanksgiving. After 10 years of teaching at Breckenridge, I am fortunate to be teaching at Snowmass this year. Truly thankful for all of the good in my life and the early season snow!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My roommate and I were planning to go the day after Thanksgiving, but she got scheduled to work. :( I might call a few of my other friends and see if they want to go. They are all snowboarders :crazy: , but I guess that's okay.
Hi Carlinski, welcome to the forum! Hope you get to ski soon too. :smile:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly