• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Who is planning on skiing on Thanksgiving?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woo hoo! It looks like our local resort will be open for Thanksgiving so I will be joining the ranks of greatful skiers!
Yay! Great for you! I jut got news my local hill that's 1.5 hours away is opening this Friday. I can be skiing every week starting this week! My season will start on Wednesday, the long wait is over! :bounce:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woo hoo! It looks like our local resort will be open for Thanksgiving so I will be joining the ranks of greatful skiers!
Fingers crossed that everything works out, they sound very positive about being able to open. That would be fantastic for you guys!

mustski

Angel Diva
My roommate and I were planning to go the day after Thanksgiving, but she got scheduled to work. :( I might call a few of my other friends and see if they want to go. They are all snowboarders :crazy: , but I guess that's okay.
Welcome to the forum ... and yes, that's definitely OK! Some of my closest friends are snowboarders. Hey .. we all have our faults, right?

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's heavily raining at Snowshoe (the ski resort I am going on trip to tomorrow). :( They still got decent base from snowmaking for several weeks, but it's sad to see some of that nice snow ruined by R-word. :frown: Rain go away! According to weather forecast the rain should turn into snow later tonight. Crossing fingers!:goodluck:

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's heavily raining at Snowshoe (the ski resort I am going on trip to tomorrow). :( They still got decent base from snowmaking for several weeks, but it's sad to see some of that nice snow ruined by R-word. :frown: Rain go away! According to weather forecast the rain should turn into snow later tonight. Crossing fingers!:goodluck:
The storm is moving very fast. Snowshoe knows how to recover from rain with the way things go in the spring, so I would expect conditions to be quite nice by the time you get there.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Expecting up to 3" of liquid, with solid on front and back sides of it, tomorrow - with high winds. Region still has barely caught its breath from Sunday's massive wind storm (100 mph sustained for hours on Mt Washington NH), roads just barely cleared of trees and branches, lakes are still rimmed with wave ice.
And more tomorrow.....I can't even see past Wed yet with what's forecast here!
Check out this lakefront pic from local lake taken yesterday :eek:
ry%3D400

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Expecting up to 3" of liquid, with solid on front and back sides of it, tomorrow - with high winds. Region still has barely caught its breath from Sunday's massive wind storm (100 mph sustained for hours on Mt Washington NH), roads just barely cleared of trees and branches, lakes are still rimmed with wave ice.
And more tomorrow.....I can't even see past Wed yet with what's forecast here!
Check out this lakefront pic from local lake taken yesterday :eek:
ry%3D400
Wow. I too, have never seen this effect before. Stunning. Wave ice...................never heard the term before, and yet this photo so beautifully captures the essence of water in the extreme.
As for skiing on Thanksgiving; wish I were. I truly despise this holiday.

mustski

Angel Diva
@MaineSkiLady all I can say is :brr:!

Wow. I too, have never seen this effect before. Stunning. Wave ice...................never heard the term before, and yet this photo so beautifully captures the essence of water in the extreme.
As for skiing on Thanksgiving; wish I were. I truly despise this holiday.

I do too. We are eating our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow so we can go ski laps in the terrain park. It's not our preferred resort but at least it's open top to bottom.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
The bigger the lake and waves, the thicker the ice accumulation. The champions of this are the great lakes, which I've seen accumulate 15+ feet and more (num will surely attest!>Lake Michigan!). Have photos of this from decades ago, unscanned. Reminds me to scan them at some point. Truly amazing ice, water full open beyond it.

altagirl

Staff member
I remember in college we had an ice storm in Virginia (that shut down the university for something like a week). We made it out to the parking lot and had to bust through about at least 2" of solid ice, maybe more to get into my car. It was a multi person job to lift those sheets off the surfaces of the vehicle and took us hours, but the power was out and there was nothing better to do (and we wanted to go find an open liquor store... go figure). The roads weren't bad - the surface being warmer the ice didn't stick like it did to the trees, cars, power lines, etc. Got it all done an out on the road and were driving behind a semi, and a sheet of ice came flying off it's roof and I sped up enough that it hit my roof instead of shattering my windshield, but it left a gigantic dent in the roof of my car. The whole thing was so surreal.

Lexiski

Certified Ski Diva
Snowbird tomorrow! I really wanted to come up with a creative idea for my pass photo, but I don't think there is enough time. My friend already beat me out by dressing up as a unicorn. I am too daunted to try and challenge him.
Snowbird Friday, Alta Saturday, Snowbird Sunday. Pretty solid weekend planned!

Now if only it would snow...

Isn't he MAGICAL!

sams_zps97caa4ae.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly