• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whistler ski trips with kids lessons and adult lessons

Jchung513

Diva in Training
first time posting here…

Our family of 4 (kids ages 9 & 6) have a couple of ski trips booked for Whistler this January and March. It’ll be our first ski trip.

We booked 3 full day lessons for the kids in January and a 5 day camp in March. Any family took lessons/camps there and have tips to offer? What should I pack for the kids besides their ski clothing and equipments? Backpacks with water and snacks needed?

Any recommendations for blogs or websites on family ski trips? Eg packing lists, other tips etc.

Much appreciated!

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome!
I don't have any experience with the Whistler lesson program or camps but I can't imagine this not being the best way for your kids to get the most out of their time there! I hope you plan to get a little family ski time in too though!

If possible try to get out on snow as much as possible before and in between your trips, having the stamina to ski all (or most of the) day at elevation will make for a more enjoyable trip for all. Plus everyone will have more confidence to explore more of the mountain.

I would check with the ski school about snacks/lunch/drinks. Many provide them and so that's one less thing you will have to think about and pack. The 9 year old might be able to manage a small granola bar in their pocket but the 6 yr old I would expect will need help with it so would probably be waiting until designated snack times anyway.

I would pack an extra pair of socks and mittens (and possibly an extra mid layer). These are most likely to get wet and cold and having a replacement is huge in getting warm to go back out.

Have fun! Post pictures here when you return!

Jchung513

Diva in Training
Great tips! Thank you, marymack. Will report back after.

My husband and I are beginner skiers, hence, beginner adult lessons for us :smile: We have season passes for our much smaller local mountain where they’ve taken a few half day camps, and we try to ski as a family there whenever we can.

Rest of the year, the kids also swim, play hockey/ringette. And we also mountain bike in the summer (sometimes whistler). So hopefully the kids will be up for the challenge of the upcoming full day ski camps at whistler. Just hoping they will stay warm and have fun. And yes, we are planning to ski as a family at whistler also, maybe a day or two after their lessons.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
first time posting here…

Our family of 4 (kids ages 9 & 6) have a couple of ski trips booked for Whistler this January and March. It’ll be our first ski trip.

We booked 3 full day lessons for the kids in January and a 5 day camp in March. Any family took lessons/camps there and have tips to offer? What should I pack for the kids besides their ski clothing and equipments? Backpacks with water and snacks needed?

Any recommendations for blogs or websites on family ski trips? Eg packing lists, other tips etc.

Much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're in for a ton of fun. You might want to check out Brave Ski Mom. She does a great job blogging about family skiing.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I’m just here to tell you I’m jealous. :smile:
Have so much fun! I went to WB WAY back in the pre-kids days and loved it.

Jilly

Staff member
Lunch and snacks are included. If you send anything with them...no nut products. So extra mitts, neck gaiters and hand warmer packets.

WB is not as cold as anything in the east. But kids need to be dressed up warm for sure.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Hi I have sent my kid to Whistler 1 week camps for about 4 seasons (age 3-6). Last time was over 5 years ago but perhaps still relevant. For the young kids, on the first day we’d send in extra underwear, layers and socks in case of an accident in a clear ziplock with their name on it. The last day we’d arrive early and pick it up.

I know since Covid, the ski school I work for doesn’t accept extras but stashes their own new extras for kids who have accidents. In the event of an accident, we change them. If you have a young one, might be good to call and check.

For food and snack, they take care of it. At the end of the week, we’d take out some Canadian cash and tip the instructor for the week. Send them with Helmet goggles mitts and gaiters.

at Whistler they have the kids wear a homing device on their pant leg so you can see their runs after. They also take ski mountain photos individually and with the group. You can purchase the digital or have it printed. We got them each year.

you can see one of them as my profile picture! She has such fond memories of Whistler. Hope you also have a great time!

Jchung513

Diva in Training
Lunch and snacks are included. If you send anything with them...no nut products. So extra mitts, neck gaiters and hand warmer packets.

WB is not as cold as anything in the east. But kids need to be dressed up warm for sure.
Thanks Jilly!

Jchung513

Diva in Training
Hi I have sent my kid to Whistler 1 week camps for about 4 seasons (age 3-6). Last time was over 5 years ago but perhaps still relevant. For the young kids, on the first day we’d send in extra underwear, layers and socks in case of an accident in a clear ziplock with their name on it. The last day we’d arrive early and pick it up.

I know since Covid, the ski school I work for doesn’t accept extras but stashes their own new extras for kids who have accidents. In the event of an accident, we change them. If you have a young one, might be good to call and check.

For food and snack, they take care of it. At the end of the week, we’d take out some Canadian cash and tip the instructor for the week. Send them with Helmet goggles mitts and gaiters.

at Whistler they have the kids wear a homing device on their pant leg so you can see their runs after. They also take ski mountain photos individually and with the group. You can purchase the digital or have it printed. We got them each year.

you can see one of them as my profile picture! She has such fond memories of Whistler. Hope you also have a great time!

super helpful tips… thanks so much!

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, WB (and Tremblant) still have the Flak devices. Make sure you get the info from the instructor to down load the day. It would make a great poster for each kid.

Last women's camp I went to the instructor wore one and gave us the info. I wanted to get a poster of it, but left it too late and the page was gone.

Jchung513

Diva in Training
Yes, WB (and Tremblant) still have the Flak devices. Make sure you get the info from the instructor to down load the day. It would make a great poster for each kid.

Last women's camp I went to the instructor wore one and gave us the info. I wanted to get a poster of it, but left it too late and the page was gone.
Wow. I didn’t know about this and sounds so cool. So do I ask the instructor at pickup at the end of the day? Like a trail record the kids did and I can download?

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My kids are in ski programme there over the season - let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!
For the kids the ski school takes care of everything such as lunch and snacks (not sure how much snacking they do now with covid protocols). I also pack extra pocket snacks (for them and me while I ski!).
Check the forecast before you ski WB is not very cold generally but we do get some really cold days.
If you forget anything there are so many stores where you can buy an extra layer or anything.

If you want to go out for dinner I strongly suggest you book in advance at any restaurants otherwise you will be waiting hours. Any of the nicer , well known restaurants you need to book month or two in advance.

Reservations for eating on mountain (non ski lesson days - if you have a day lesson they should book everyone a reservation to eat with your instructor) open at 7am the day of skiing - book your slot well before 8am to secure your lunch slot. You can do this via an app as a guest - you dont have to sign up - you just give your email and phone number.

This is a good site for things to do but I'm guessing your hotel will also have a lot of info and there are info centres in town. So many things to do! The town is geared up again for visitors from around the world!!

Have fun!!!

Jilly

Staff member

The snow school uses it for a lot of purposes. One is to find lost students. I was helping an instructor yesterday to take her kids up. One missing as they lined up to go through the gate. She just calls the supervisor inside. They can find the kid by the flaik. The kid did the right thing and went to one of the Info-guides. Next thing we know, along comes the kid.

Jchung513

Diva in Training
My kids are in ski programme there over the season - let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!
For the kids the ski school takes care of everything such as lunch and snacks (not sure how much snacking they do now with covid protocols). I also pack extra pocket snacks (for them and me while I ski!).
Check the forecast before you ski WB is not very cold generally but we do get some really cold days.
If you forget anything there are so many stores where you can buy an extra layer or anything.

If you want to go out for dinner I strongly suggest you book in advance at any restaurants otherwise you will be waiting hours. Any of the nicer , well known restaurants you need to book month or two in advance.

Reservations for eating on mountain (non ski lesson days - if you have a day lesson they should book everyone a reservation to eat with your instructor) open at 7am the day of skiing - book your slot well before 8am to secure your lunch slot. You can do this via an app as a guest - you dont have to sign up - you just give your email and phone number.

This is a good site for things to do but I'm guessing your hotel will also have a lot of info and there are info centres in town. So many things to do! The town is geared up again for visitors from around the world!!

Have fun!!!
Thank you FayeGoneAstray! Great tips.
I better look into dining reservations ASAP. Looks like the temperatures will be around -4 to -1 on the days (this weekend) that the kids will be taking their lessons.

How many layers do you think I need for the kids? Base layer, fleece midlayer, insulated ski jacket? Should I add an extra midlayer of a thin down jacket? How many layers for the neck and bottom?
I’m glad we escaped the -15C the past week. Btw, we’ve only skied at Seymour, so WB will be a big step up for us rookies. Thanks for your help!

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was more -25 this week! LOL!!
Those temps those layers should be fine. That is not cold at all but there might be wind chill. I guess pack the extra layer in case your kids run really cold or if you aren't used to temps but it sounds like you might be from the general area.
Also wear a base layer on the legs and ski socks - wool is good.
Your kids might want hand warmers for their gloves even if not very cold.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna