• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which skis? Head Total Joy, Rossi Exp 84, Dynastar Legend 84?

bomomo

Diva in Training
Hi Ladies!

I am new to this forum but excited to have found it. I've been debating on what skis to get and would like some suggestions.

A bit about me:
I am 5'5, 130lb, Canadian West Cost Skier.
I think I am about an advanced intermediate, can do blacks, but mostly enjoy blue runs.
I currently ski on a pair of 2013 Rossi W S7 which has been terrific for off piste but I am looking for something I can take to groom runs more. Also something that's lighter and easier to improve my technique.

Currently I am eyeing the 2020 Head Total Joy W, 2021 Rossi Experience 80 ci W, and Dynastar Legend 84 W.
I was wondering if anyone has skied on these to give me some tips on which one to buy? Price isn't a huge concern, but Dynastar legend does seem quite a bit cheaper compared to the other two. I am also open to other recommendations as well.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think the Experience 80 might be too soft/beginner oriented a ski, the Experience 84 Al would be better, is perfectly fine on groomers and turns very easily. I've heard the Joy series are polarizing - so would definitely demo first! I think the Experience skis similarly to the Volkl Yumi and Nordica Astral, so those could be something to add to a demo list

Jilly

Staff member
I would up the Experience to the 84 too. I'm not a fan of the Head Joy's, but that's me. Not sure where you're skiing and if any demo's are available. We haven't had any here in the east this season.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I was on the Experience 80 last season as a rental and wasn't a fan. No ability to handle crud, not very stable at speed, and chattered a lot. I don't know I'd describe it as "soft"; if anything the ones I were on felt incredibly stiff compared to the Ripsticks I'm on now.

bomomo

Diva in Training
thanks for the feedbacks!
I am skiing in Vancouver and mostly local mountains like Cypress.

I'll look up the Rossi 84 AI too, I don't think I saw it at the shop I was looking at but will check a few other sites.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe consider the Blizzard Sheeva 9 as well - I have the Rustler 10 (same ski, just the men's version) and have my eye on the 9's for a ~90 underfoot ski. Bit fatter than the skis you've mentioned here but the 10's are super fun and hold an edge nicely; other divas rave about the 9's, so I'm keen to try them for those times when it hasn't snowed in a while. I find that they allow me to push them hard when I want to, but don't punish me when I'm tired or just skiing plain badly. They seem to reward good skiing without demanding it.

kiki

Angel Diva
Welcome @bomomo !
I too ski the NS mountains, happy to find another Westcoaster!
I’m a bit shorter and heavier than you, but I can imagine the S7 is better at whistler than on the NS groomers esp on icy days. It is a tough call to find something that will work on heavy churned up powder when we get it and also on ice days. I would definitely not go narrower than 80. I ski the Renoun z-90 which is great at WB but I find not always optimal on the NS groomers, if I was picking a ski for the NS specifically I’d go narrower than 90. That 84 range you mention sounds just right.

bomomo

Diva in Training
Welcome @bomomo !
I too ski the NS mountains, happy to find another Westcoaster!
I’m a bit shorter and heavier than you, but I can imagine the S7 is better at whistler than on the NS groomers esp on icy days. It is a tough call to find something that will work on heavy churned up powder when we get it and also on ice days. I would definitely not go narrower than 80. I ski the Renoun z-90 which is great at WB but I find not always optimal on the NS groomers, if I was picking a ski for the NS specifically I’d go narrower than 90. That 84 range you mention sounds just right.

Hi @kiki!

Excited to meet another NS mountain skier!
You're definitely right, the S7 is great for whistler, but I've been staying local a lot more especially with the current situation and skiing them here has been a little tough. During the icy days I find I really need something more grippy for these groomed run, and so have been trying to look for something between 80 - 90mm range.

Are you aware of any shops (beside the selection on the mountains) where we can rent a pair of performance skis to test out?

kiki

Angel Diva
No I haven’t found any local demos spots. I’ve gone to WB when I needed to demo. The other thing I’ve done is buy skis based on reviews and if I don’t like them sell on Craigslist. Did that for at least 3 prs lol!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No I haven’t found any local demos spots. I’ve gone to WB when I needed to demo. The other thing I’ve done is buy skis based on reviews and if I don’t like them sell on Craigslist. Did that for at least 3 prs lol!
Did you work out what you do/don't like in your skis? Knowing what you dislike is just as important as what you like!

Edit: just noticed you aren't the original person ski hunting - d'oh. I'm guessing you have found your pair(s) by now

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good advice @scandium !
@bomomo needs a frontside carver that can also handle days with heavy wet snow, preferably in a mid 80s width, any suggestions?
Aside from the other suggestions, maybe the Nordica Santa Ana 88 (assuming that frontside carver = damper/chargier ski rather than playful). I've only demoed the 93 myself, but the SA 88 seems like it might offer the right balance as opposed to a more frontside ski like the Astral line. Black Pearl 88 is also very popular, and I believe has been stiffened up in the most recent iteration.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aside from the other suggestions, maybe the Nordica Santa Ana 88 (assuming that frontside carver = damper/chargier ski rather than playful). I've only demoed the 93 myself, but the SA 88 seems like it might offer the right balance as opposed to a more frontside ski like the Astral line. Black Pearl 88 is also very popular, and I believe has been stiffened up in the most recent iteration.
The Santa Ana 88 is a very playful ski. They aren't as damp this year as the 2020s were, which were equally as playful IMO. I'm kind of sad that I didn't keep my 2020s, as I preferred their feel in crud. That being said, the 2021s are IMO a very playful ski. The tails release incredibly easily, and the tips don't get "caught" and force you into a turn if you make a mistake. They actually are a great option for the OP, and she might find herself skiing them even on powder days more than she thinks she would. She and I are very similar stats.

Lyzzyski

Diva in Training
I have a similar history but older lol gave up my beloved Rossi Bandit 3 for the Head Total Joys. Skiing on them for first time now.beautiful carvers tried a bit of bumps easy ones NOT my forte but I did pretty well compared to my past attempts. Amazing easy fun fast when allowed. Confidence inspiring My skiing is already improved .

bomomo

Diva in Training
This has been really helpful! Thank you for all the help!
I am going to go hunt down some skis to try for the remaining of this season.

skisenyc

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies!

I am new to this forum but excited to have found it. I've been debating on what skis to get and would like some suggestions.

A bit about me:
I think I am about an advanced intermediate, can do blacks, but mostly enjoy blue runs.
I currently ski on a pair of 2013 Rossi W S7 which has been terrific for off piste but I am looking for something I can take to groom runs more. Also something that's lighter and easier to improve my technique.

Currently I am eyeing the 2020 Head Total Joy W, 2021 Rossi Experience 80 ci W, and Dynastar Legend 84 W.
I was wondering if anyone has skied on these to give me some tips on which one to buy? Price isn't a huge concern, but Dynastar legend does seem quite a bit cheaper compared to the other two. I am also open to other recommendations as well.

Also adv. intermediate here. I've been skiing on a pair of 2020 Head Total Joys for 2 seasons. I simply LOVE them. Bought them on a whim after reading a lovely review from a fellow ski diva. If you have specific questions, ask away. They are fantastic on ice & crud, and agile on fresh powder. Huge fan.

bomomo

Diva in Training
Also adv. intermediate here. I've been skiing on a pair of 2020 Head Total Joys for 2 seasons. I simply LOVE them. Bought them on a whim after reading a lovely review from a fellow ski diva. If you have specific questions, ask away. They are fantastic on ice & crud, and agile on fresh powder. Huge fan.

Hi @skisenyc
Thanks for reaching out!

I was actually wondering what size did you get yours? I've been reading mixed reviews. Some find the board a little lacking "power" if that's the right word. How do you find them? and where do you normally ski?

Slayer

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Ladies!

A bit about me:

Adding another upvote for the Head Total Joys. I bought the 2017s used last year after loving them as a rental and I've continued to be incredibly happy with them. I'm about your same height/weight, also West Coast, and I've taken them down multiple Tahoe runs in varying conditions and generally loved them. Not so great in crud/powder but I chalk that up to me not knowing how to ski those conditions. I think my length is 153 (I think) if that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly