• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which skis for west coast?

westcoastskier

Diva in Training
Looking for new skis. One ski that can do it all. I ski on the west coast (Blackcomb). Preferer tree/moguls off piste

I'm 5'3", 140 lbs. Advanced skier.

Thoughts on these skis??

Blizzard shiva 9 or 10, Nordica Santa Ana or Salomon lumen or stella

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Which Santa Anas are you interested in? There's a great review of the 104 here. We also have reviews of other skis in our Gear Reviews section. Maybe that'd help.

Jilly

Staff member
I just bought a pair of Santa Ana's 88 for out west. But don't think I'll be trying them this year. Anything 88 and up will be good. A ski instructor friend has the wide Joy's from Head. She teaches at WB, but not this season coming.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This will be a do it all. I do also have the rockette 115.

Previously was on the 2015 salomon lumens.
Well, I can tell you that the 2020/2021 Lumen is a much different feeling ski than the previous versions, and in a GOOD way. So, if you LIKE the Lumen overall, buying the newest version could be a no-brainer. It will have a familiar feeling to it but it's a smoother ride, more energetic, yet still an easy ski. Which width Lumen are you currently on? I just bought the 99 last year literally right before COVID shutdowns, and ended up on a 174, which is CRAZY long but it ended up being a good mistake. (My Santa Ana 88s are a 165. My previous Santa Ana 100s were a 169.) I bought them strictly for deep powder days, because overall I'm not a fan of wider skis. At your stats, the 167 would be about perfect, especially since you want them for bumps and trees.

I think anything between 90-100 under foot would suit you well. The Santa Ana series are going to feel much more damp than what you've been on, the Sheeva's are more playful. You really can't go wrong with any of the skis you mentioned.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Thoughts on these skis??

Blizzard shiva 9 or 10, Nordica Santa Ana or Salomon lumen or stella

All great options. They all do the same thing, but in a slightly different style. The Santa Ana line is probably the stiffest of the pack, and the Sheeva the most forgiving. I haven't been on the newest Salomons, but I loved the old 2015 version you are skiing. I will say, the newer QST line is very different than the old Quest line from 6 years ago (completely different construction), so if you're looking for something similar to your old ski...one of the others might actually be a closer match.

I'd recommend reading as many reviews as you can specific to each of those skis, and see which descriptions really speak to you. Pay attention to reviews that list the reviewer's stats (age, height, weight), so you can judge if the review really pertains to you. With your stats, there's only so much weight you should put on a review from a 4'9" 100lb person.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I'm on the QST 99 (the unisex version of the Lumen) and I love it. I'm 5'8 and 175 lbs but decided to go for the 167 because I like moguls and want to do more trees, and I wanted to gain some nimbleness in tight spots. The ski is a great combo of lively and solid (I've bombed down groomers and there was no chatter or hesitation). I'm a big fan.

westcoastskier

Diva in Training
Well, I can tell you that the 2020/2021 Lumen is a much different feeling ski than the previous versions, and in a GOOD way. So, if you LIKE the Lumen overall, buying the newest version could be a no-brainer. It will have a familiar feeling to it but it's a smoother ride, more energetic, yet still an easy ski. Which width Lumen are you currently on? I just bought the 99 last year literally right before COVID shutdowns, and ended up on a 174, which is CRAZY long but it ended up being a good mistake. (My Santa Ana 88s are a 165. My previous Santa Ana 100s were a 169.) I bought them strictly for deep powder days, because overall I'm not a fan of wider skis. At your stats, the 167 would be about perfect, especially since you want them for bumps and trees.

I think anything between 90-100 under foot would suit you well. The Santa Ana series are going to feel much more damp than what you've been on, the Sheeva's are more playful. You really can't go wrong with any of the skis you mentioned.
I'm on the QST 99 (the unisex version of the Lumen) and I love it. I'm 5'8 and 175 lbs but decided to go for the 167 because I like moguls and want to do more trees, and I wanted to gain some nimbleness in tight spots. The ski is a great combo of lively and solid (I've bombed down groomers and there was no chatter or hesitation). I'm a big fan.

My old lumens were the qst96's, in 154. I don't have them anymore (stolen). Such a hard year to be skis as no demos this year.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My old lumens were the qst96's, in 154. I don't have them anymore (stolen). Such a hard year to be skis as no demos this year.
It is hard because of no demos for sure! I really think you could throw a dart and be happy on any of the ones you mentioned. Again, if you liked the Lumen 96, you'll have a familiar feeling with the new version but it's IMO a MUCH better ski. I echo what @teppaz says about hers--lively but solid. But they do ski really short. When I hold them up next to my Santa Ana 88s, which are 165s, the rocker/contact point on the Lumen's is almost identical, which is probably why at least initially the 174 does not feel that long. I get more float with the same amount of contact.

I think you could choose any of them and be happy. The key will be getting the right length. The Sheevas and Lumens/Stellas all will ski shorter than the latest version of the Santa Anas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly