• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Which ski resorts have nice mellow trees runs?

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Could you please recommend ski resorts that offer a good selection of mellow tree runs? I would like to ski in the trees because it is so beautiful but I’m also at a point in my life where I don’t need any more injuries.

I’m an upper intermediate skier who most enjoys single-black-diamond trails with an occasional double-black when conditions permit. Whereas I’m fairly confident in choosing trails appropriate to my level, for some reason when I venture into the trees I always seem to end-up in terrain well beyond my comfort zone.

I like to ski in the trees for the beauty of nature and am not seeking a thrill ride. Are there any resorts know for easy tree runs?

I just know whenever I venture into a pretty winter wonderland that looks like this...

D29428F0-C550-4630-9C77-82A98658BF0F.jpeg

...it inevitably transforms into steep and scary mess.

Or maybe I should just take up Nordic skiing? Thank you :smile:

Reactions: RJ*

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sorry I’m forgetting where you normally ski! Are you in the Northeast?? That’s the only area I’d be able to help with on this topic. :smile:

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live on the West Coast with family in the Northeast with whom I arrange annual family ski trips so suggestions in the Northeast are very welcome. I’m a total ski nerd and when I finally hit the lotto I will spend much of my time traveling around skiing so suggestions anywhere in the world are well appreciated :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
In that case.. :smile: Bretton Woods is known for having a lot of mellow tree runs. Sunday River actually has some nice easy runs as well, one that’s quite large and pretty there is Blind Ambition. There are plenty of shorter tree runs there that are quite mellow as well.

In the West, I’ve had a lot of fun in mellow trees at Big Sky, there are a ton of options for those there.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live on the West Coast with family in the Northeast with whom I arrange annual family ski trips so suggestions in the Northeast are very welcome. I’m a total ski nerd and when I finally hit the lotto I will spend much of my time traveling around skiing so suggestions anywhere in the world are well appreciated :smile:

Bretton Woods has very easy tree runs. But this is the North East, so you hopefully already know all tree runs have bumps, right? Easy bumps, low pitch glades with widely spaced trees are all over Bretton Woods in New Hampshire. I can give you specifics if you like.

Oh, I cross-posted with @MissySki who also mentions this.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I found some relatively mellow trees at Pico. But happened to be there after a midweek powder storm. Also found some mellow trees on the Mt. Ellen side of Sugarbush that trip. I was just starting to explore trees then.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Jay Peak and if the border opens...Sutton.

I can't recall many mellow tree runs at Jay (mind you it's been a long long time!), and I always thought most at Sutton were fabulous, but not really mellow. Not sure how mellow is being desired. When I think of an easy tree run now, I think particularly of Sensation Bas at Tremblant (on the Edge) and now that they've widened it, the run on the other side of the lower section of the Edge. Those are runs I always take people to when they want to venture into easy trees. Again, border issues could play havoc with Americans coming to Tremblant this season.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Have you skied Northstar trees ? Most are totally manageable with easy traverses out if needed. Backside Northstar are considered single black but a solid intermediate could do them if conditions are not cement like. Also Lookout Mtn at Northstar has more advanced trees. Tons of skiing off East Ridge with shorter tree skiing.
Also Heavenly has great tree skiing - all considered advanced but many areas totally doable for a solid intermediate.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But this is the North East, so you hopefully already know all tree runs have bumps, right? Easy bumps, low pitch glades with widely spaced trees are all over Bretton Woods in New Hampshire. I can give you specifics if you like.
That sounds delightful and what a beautiful place! Bretton Woods looks like a the type of resort my whole family would enjoy.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all your wonderful insight! I have added your suggested resorts to the long list of places I now need to visit. Among your suggestions the only place I had already skied is Steamboat (which I loved). I had planned a 2-week Tahoe ski safari in early April but well... better to count blessings and not dwell on what could have been :redface:

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds delightful and what a beautiful place! Bretton Woods looks like a the type of resort my whole family would enjoy.
--Bretton Woods attracts tons of families with small kids. Normally the ski school gets more private lessons for children than we do for adults, and this is every day pre-Covid. We get lots and lots of kids in lessons. And also all the other kinds of lessons. The ski school often books up. The kid's program fills fast. I have no idea if it will even open this upcoming season. They closed it totally last spring before closing the mountain.
--Adults looking for thrills who have some skills often pass by Bretton Woods and go to Cannon. There you'll find the tight steep glades. I think that's a mistake. There's plenty for adventurous skiers to enjoy. Extreme adrenalin-seekers are different. Send them to Cannon.
--Anyone looking for smooth easy-going groomer cruising will find multiple runs at BWoods that fit that need. Narrow and wide, twisty-turny and straight, we've got them all.
--Snowboarders avoid BrettonWoods mostly, except on powder days. There are too many long flattish connectors on the mountain.
--The advanced skier will have options to let 'er rip with fast carved turns on some of the wide empty-ish slopes on the west side. Or get into some of the far-west side tighter-steeper tree runs. There are some I won't ski, but others who have been skiing their whole lives go there.
--There's a T-bar on the far east side that leads up to an old-fashioned warming cabin with a fireplace. That lift leads to multiple tree runs of moderate tightness on the far east side. There's one groomed run that serves as an escape route for the unsuspecting non-bump-skiers who end up there by mistake.
--On normal weekend days there's an indoor climbing wall in the main lodge on the second floor. Kids enjoy that.
--On holidays there's a kiddie snowmobile area outside the main lodge. Kids get small snowmobiles to ride (yes, they are at the controls) in a circle. It's a hoot!
--They put in a new 8-person gondola for last year. Now with Covid they'll probably adjust how many can ride in it. The new lodge should be done at the top of that gondi when the season starts.
--All of this assumes there will be a season.
--Check the Mt Washington Hotel for booking deals now. I bet you'll want to stay there. It's across the street from the mountain. Omni hotels owns both.

Last edited:

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@liquidfeet Thank you for our recommendations! The historic Mt Washington Hotel looks like a real treat and I hope the mini-snowmobiles are set-up when we visit.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sierra at Tahoe is tree paradise.
Thank you for this suggestion. I was barely even aware this resort existed. I just checked out Sierra’s website and read the interesting history why the trees are nicely spaced. I hope Tahoe has a good season next year.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sierra does have nice trees. So does Sugar Bowl. Actually all of the Tahoe resorts have great tree skiing. Mt Rose Slide side has super fun trees and kind of low angle.

MoreSkiing

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for all your wonderful insight! I have added your suggested resorts to the long list of places I now need to visit. Among your suggestions the only place I had already skied is Steamboat (which I loved). I had planned a 2-week Tahoe ski safari in early April but well... better to count blessings and not dwell on what could have been :redface:

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
I suggest re-planning your ski safari for this upcoming season! Then you would have something to look forward to, no more lamenting the past...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly