• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Which muscles do we use when we ski?

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found this graphic online and thought it was worth reposting here.

View attachment 9315

I’d never get into that position unless I was suspended by wires from somewhere! But I will definitely say my years of Pilates work has pulled me out of potential falls. Core strength is important, and core is back and front of the body. All the rest are important as skiing is a full body activity. This suggests I should go out and do some of this right now instead of playing online! Happy weekend all!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, not sure I think of #5 quads as "protection for your knees." Based on what I learned during knee rehab, I focus a lot more on exercises related to glutes and hamstrings. Hamstrings and adductor/abductor muscles is what my PT emphasized. Note that I have no interest in racing although I've learned to carve much more effectively in recent years.

As an older skier, core strength is much higher priority than #9. That's one reason I really like using the TRX for ski conditioning. Any TRX exercise works the core.

Jilly

Staff member
I get a kick out the marking out the names etc on the suit. That's a Canadian suit and I think Manny Osbourne-Paridis.

I agree with the core over the legs. But really I don't think there any really specific muscles to skiing. I know my old trainer, who didn't ski, thought it was all legs. So much leg that I ended up with a meniscus tear. New one, after the surgery knows better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly