• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to stay to ski Deer Valley

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I've never been to Deer Valley, but I'm interested in trying it out as a good option for a romantic trip for me (expert skier) and my husband (intermediate). However, I know it's an expensive place to stay. Are there any reasonably-priced hotels or condos that don't require a lot of driving to get to/from the mountain? As long as I'm dreaming, are there any ski-in ski-out condos that aren't totally insane? We'd probably go in January or February, but not on a holiday weekend.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Park City bus system is quite good. People who live there don't bother to drive and take the bus for ski days. So unless you are determined to stay slopeside, that opens up a lot more lodging options.

Although frankly if I were planning a romantic ski vacation in Utah, staying at Alta Lodge in a standard room would be my first choice. Not only a cool slopeside location, don't need to worry about meals much because full breakfast and gourmet dinner are included. The downside is that there really isn't anything to do but ski, eat, relax, and . . . enjoy a bedroom. Could also check out prices for the Rustler or Snowpine for a more upscale environment that more like a modern ski lodge than a European ski chalet.

Alta is an excellent choice for multi-ability groups. Especially if the intermediate(s) are willing to take an afternoon lesson or two. The advanced/expert who doesn't know the mountain can learn a lot about challenging terrain doing the Adult Mountain Workshop.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll Throw Goldminer's daughter into the Alta Mix- walk out to the lift, breakfast, afternoon snacks and Dinner also included. Big rooms w/TV"s. GMD's elevator sold me.. no elevator at Alta lodge-5 flights of stairs in ski boots became a workout in itself and they have strict reservation minimum stays. GMD offers an IKON Discount too)

If it has to be Deer Valley there are some VRBO's, but it is $$$. Perhaps stay in Park city- Fun Town w/lots of shops/restaurants lots more lodging options.

Have you been to Sun Valley? it is wonderful Mt, Ketchum is great town with lots of good restaurants. no hills to climb-We stayed at a Best Western right across the street from the Mt. across the st from a bus that took us to the front door of Ski area. Sun Valley Lodge is Deluxe stay short ride to the Mt.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
On our first trip we stayed at Silver Barron Lodge, which is at the lowest base. It was a large one bedroom condo hotel with a hot tub, kitchen, fireplace, etc. We booked it in August for January, through the website's "specials" link. I liked it a lot and we could walk to/from the lower lifts. We are going again this year, but staying mid-mountain at Black Bear Lodge. Similar set up, but better location for skiing. Mid-mountain is more expensive, but this time around we booked Monday-Thursday nights, so had access to a lot more lodging options. Not sure if you have the flexibility, but if you do, you'll probably find better rates/location during mid-week. VRBO has a great selection! Have fun, Deer Valley is beautiful where ever you stay!!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'll Throw Goldminer's daughter into the Alta Mix- walk out to the lift, breakfast, afternoon snacks and Dinner also included. Big rooms w/TV"s. GMD's elevator sold me.. no elevator at Alta lodge-5 flights of stairs in ski boots became a workout in itself and they have strict reservation minimum stays. GMD offers an IKON Discount too)

If it has to be Deer Valley there are some VRBO's, but it is $$$. Perhaps stay in Park city- Fun Town w/lots of shops/restaurants lots more lodging options.

Have you been to Sun Valley? it is wonderful Mt, Ketchum is great town with lots of good restaurants. no hills to climb-We stayed at a Best Western right across the street from the Mt. across the st from a bus that took us to the front door of Ski area. Sun Valley Lodge is Deluxe stay short ride to the Mt.
Although I haven't seen an GMD room in person, I don't think of GMD as a "romantic" lodge. The views from the hot tub or pools at Alta Lodge, Rustler, or Snowpine are hard to beat.

Staying at the Sun Valley resort would certainly be a romantic destination ski trip. But it's on Epic, not Ikon/MCP. So depends on how the OP intends to cover lift ticket.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Although I haven't seen an GMD room in person, I don't think of GMD as a "romantic" lodge. The views from the hot tub or pools at Alta Lodge, Rustler, or Snowpine are hard to beat.

Staying at the Sun Valley resort would certainly be a romantic destination ski trip. But it's on Epic, not Ikon/MCP. So depends on how the OP intends to cover lift ticket.
I didn't realize Sun Valley was on Epic. Went there in 1985 and had a blast! sorry for thread drift.......

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks all for the responses! I actually have tentative plans to go to Alta with my father - it seems like a better mountain for expert skiers? I haven't been there since I was 10 or so, but I've always heard how it's a real "skier's mountain." I think I'd like to explore Deer Valley for a couples trip since I think my husband would especially appreciate the grooming services.

@nopoleskier, I spent countless summers in Ketchum growing up and it's probably my all-time favorite town. I definitely hope to ski at Sun Valley again soon, but not for this trip since it would become a big family extravaganza before I know it!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I think I'd like to explore Deer Valley for a couples trip since I think my husband would especially appreciate the grooming services.
DV has free mountain tours that have a very good reputation. It can take a little time to figure out how to get between peaks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly