• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to ski the week before Christmas?

Tvan

Angel Diva
I have vacation days that I need to spend or I will lose them, and I have to spend them before he end of the year. DH has to work, but I can theoretically take off from December 16 through the end of the year. We have family plans for Christmas week.

I know that it’s early in the season and weather is a factor. I’m willing to fly. I’ll be alone. I’m a rising intermediate skier.

If I wanted to ski somewhere the week of December 16, where should I consider?

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Colorado resorts seem to always get snow earlier and open weeks before everyone else...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Are you on Ikon? My vote is for Banff Sunshine Village.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I love Banff, esp. Sunshine Village (SSV), my #1 favorite thus far. In fact, I am planning a return trip next season.

I might have posted this somewhere, thought it'd be useful to share:

"some of you might know, I love Banff, love the scenery, impressive tree-lined trials trails and good snow conditions. As an intermediate, I am especially fond of Sunshine Village because I can ski more terrains there (vs. Lake Louise).

I have been contemplating a ski trip to Banff again this coming season, debating the best time for me to visit: December Christmas vs. February President’s day weekend. (Try to fit in the trip with current work and school schedule).

I reached out to a friend of mine who lives near Banff and frequently ski at SSV. He shared with me his perspective on when is a good time to ski Banff. I found his inputs are quite insightful and thought I’d share w/ y’all:

According to him, under “normal” circumstances and snowfalls, all the lifts and most of the runs should be open by Christmas at SSV.

In his opinion, a ski trip to Banff is always better for later in the season. The ideal time in Banff is late February and March, for the following 4 reasons:

1) More accumulated snow. Goat's Eye Mountain is always better later in the season. With the winds up there, the crews try to "harvest" snow with the judicious use of snow fences. But snow accumulation on many of those runs can be an issue in December.

2) More sunshine. In December, the days are very short in Alberta. For example, on Dec. 20, sunrise is 8:36 and sunset is 4:31; while on Feb. 20, it rises at 7:39 and sets at 6:01. Even tough the extra 2.5 hours don’t add up to more time on the skis, the shorter days often mean colder weather. It get really cold days in February, but mid December to mid January seems to be the coldest, especially for the first few runs and the last few runs of the day, when the sun is low in the sky.

3) Banff is a beautiful resort town, eps. during Christmas. With the # of visitors, it is a busy time also. However, with # of high speed lifts at SSV, long lift lines are not a big issue, but getting a spot to sit in the Lodge to rest and warm up can be a bit of a challenge.

4) According to him, his favorite time of the year to ski in Banff is March. The days are warmer and the sun higher in the sky. But it is still winter at Sunshine and we can get some great snowfalls. "

@Tvan : can't provide any suggestions for your trip as I have never gone out west in early season. I usually do local trips in December.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@alison wong - you make some good points about skiable daylight hours in December. Thanks for that and for the info on Sunshine Village.

@ilovepugs - yup, I’m on Ikon.

@Susan L - any particular places that you’d recommend?

Thanks, all!

marzNC

Angel Diva
If I wanted to ski somewhere the week of December 16, where should I consider?
I was hoping to be at Alta that week with my daughter but it didn't work out. Have followed Utah snow long enough that I expect pretty decent conditions by mid-Dec. Alta Lodge is a great place for solo travelers who are willing to chat with new people at the "joiner's table" during dinner. I think you would like Alta.

I suggest you wait and see where the snow flies in early November before making a firm commitment. If you can figure out a way to fly Southwest, could get plane tickets and perhaps make lodging reservations that can be cancelled for two destinations. Then switch the flights closer to the departure date if needed. I suppose using FF miles also works on other airlines.

Must say that I've had a good time at Loon and Sunday River in mid-Dec. Both have stellar snowmaking infrastructure. So if Mother Nature cooperates with cold weather soon enough, can be plenty of groomed trails open by the week before Christmas.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This past Dec. the same week, @Olesya Chornoguz and I did an Eastern IKON tour, we skied 2 days at Killington, it was fun w/fresh snow, timing was perfect, @ski diva met us, then we drove over to Sugar Bush, and then up to Mt. Tremblant @SkiBam gave us great tour!

No, not all trails were open but we had plenty to ski, seemed it was mostly intermediate/beginner trails being early season it worked out well for our legs, good conditions with plenty of man-made base.

If I was going to fly west, I'd go to Utah SLC is so easy to get in and out of and 30min-1hr from many IKON Mts. I would ski Alta, (I am an Altaholic) I still need to go to Solitude and Brighton, Deer Valley I'm going back to this winter. Or go deluxe fly into Aspen and ski Snowmass/Highlands/Ajax. (then no I-70 to deal with) Aspen decorated for the holidays has to be beautiful.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I'm considering a short trip that week. I was thinking about Alta/Snowbird because it's so easy to get in and out of, but I think I'm going to wait and see what the conditions bring. I've only been to Alta in the Spring and it was wonderful and not crowded. What are the crowds typically like the week before Christmas?

marzNC

Angel Diva
What are the crowds typically like the week before Christmas?
I've only skied in early season in the southeast and northeast, but my sense is that the reason there are so many lodging deals and promotions out west before Dec. 20 is because not many people are on the slopes. Locals have the option of waiting for better conditions. Travelers with kids can't make it yet and travelers who can carve out a week in Jan-Mar wait until after the holidays.

The only catch is that there might be limited open trails because of low snow conditions. In that case, even though there aren't many people, the slopes can feel crowded. Especially because advanced skiers can't go off-piste.

For skiing only, Grand Targhee is considered pretty snow sure by mid-Dec. Actually catches more snow than JH. But harder to reach than Alta/Snowbird/Solitude. The base village at Solitude is actually quite nice for a short trip. Could get away with not having a car. Especially if can arrange for a grocery stop on the way from the airport.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Speaking for my own experience, I got "burned" before. Found a cheap ticket from DC to Burlington right before x'mas, made the purchase months in advance. Turned out it was a low snow year in VT, went to Stowe, spent entire day on one green slope (was a beginner then). Originally the trip was 3 days, I ended up skiing one day and then spent the subsequent days shopping in Burlington....

After that, I do road trips in early season. So I can be more flexible, can decide last minute where to go or cancel...

With that said, @Tvan, I understand it'd be a solo trip, are you open to consider doing a road trip?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I would put off making a decision til as late as possible. There are tons of great deals early season, so you should do okay. Last year’s November/early December was amazing in Vermont, so who knows?

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I’m not familiar with IKON locations, however, CO is worth considering. Copper usually has a mid-November opening date, and A-Basin late October. By mid-December, both should have a nice set of greens and blues, not sure about advanced terrain. The analog with Epic would be Breck and Keystone. Breck is scheduled to open early November and Keystone late October. I’ve visited Breck in mid-December before, and most of the green and blue terrain would be open. Flights to CO is better two weeks before Christmas though. So around 12/10 - 12/18 would be better than flying within 7 days of Christmas. For mid-December trips, I usually wait until late October / early November for unrefundable bookings, to gauge if the resorts would be open on time.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
This might help: OpenSnow just did an article on the Best Ski Resorts for Christmas & New Year, based on historical data. You can check it out here.

Nice! I went to Steamboat last year the week before Christmas week. It was a record snow year, true, but it was faaabulous and not crowded in the least. A great experience that I would totally do again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna