• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to ski the week before Christmas?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure Mammoth will have snow. They typically open in November. It's a long way to go, but you could do a nice sightseeing + ski trip.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I’ll be in SLC and Park City area starting Dec 8 for a week. I was glad to see Alta on that list! I’ve never skied out west in Dec.

FoxyRoxy

Diva in Training
You might want to consider Montana; Whitefish or Big Sky. Last time they had heavy early snow (it was October that year) they had mid-season conditions, all lifts and trails open and tree skiing on opening day at Big Sky.

From the September 29th Great Fall Tribune:
“DIG DEEPER
Weather
Montana snow shatters Great Falls record: What we know, what it means to you
'This is a blizzard': Motorists warned to stay off roads
Here's the northcentral Montana snow totals as of Sunday
'Rude awakening': Record snowfall buries Big Sky Country
September snow: Photos from early season winter weather in Montana”

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/s...-snowfall-2019-state-of-emergency/3814817002/

Christy

Angel Diva
It depends on your priorities. If a chance at powder is the priority, and you don't mind paying more for airfare, it does make sense to wait until the last minute. There are places that are typically better than others, as mentioned in the article linked above.

For some years we always did a pre-Xmas trip to Sun Valley and it was wonderful. The lodge typically has very good deals for that time period; the decorations are beautiful; and there is a tree lighting and other festivities. There are enough amenities/diversions in the resort and the town of Ketchum that even if the skiing sucked you would still have a great vacation. They really do it up for the holidays and it's impossible for me to imagine anyone having a bad time. https://www.sunvalley.com/things-to-do/holidays

You are very likely skiing manmade snow, maybe with freshies, maybe not, as is true at many resorts in the Rocky Mountain West at that time, but they will definitely have a good amount of these open due to the extensive snowmaking.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might want to consider Montana; Whitefish or Big Sky. Last time they had heavy early snow (it was October that year) they had mid-season conditions, all lifts and trails open and tree skiing on opening day at Big Sky.

From the September 29th Great Fall Tribune:
“DIG DEEPER
Weather
Montana snow shatters Great Falls record: What we know, what it means to you
'This is a blizzard': Motorists warned to stay off roads
Here's the northcentral Montana snow totals as of Sunday
'Rude awakening': Record snowfall buries Big Sky Country
September snow: Photos from early season winter weather in Montana”

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/s...-snowfall-2019-state-of-emergency/3814817002/
But WE didn't have that snow. The mountain summit barely got an inch over the three or four day period. I'm just 1000 feet lower than the base of the ski area and I got zip.

That being said, as an intermediate, you won't be skiing off piste in the trees, so snow depth won't be a huge factor for you, just % open.
It sounds like you're talking third week of December, did I get that right?
  • We're not on Ikon or Epic passes, praise the Lord.
  • Crowds will be a total non-issue, everyone is still shopping
  • It is highly unlikely (but not impossible) that the mountain will be 100% open before Christmas week, but the stuff not open is more likely to be the more blue-black and black trails, so it may not affect you. It'll also be some of the trails at lower altitude, where they'll probably be laying down man-made, lousy stuff anyway, so no great loss. That'll be the Chair Two area -- yes it's intermediate but it's south facing and if open could be full of race kids at that point. I don't generally ski over there myself.
  • Guaranteed to be fine is the backside, Chairs 7 and 11. Plenty of intermediate terrain, excellent quality snow all season. In addition, there's a run off Chair 5 that you'll like, Moe-Mentum, that should be close to fine by then.
  • Likely to be open, but in a bad year might not be, are the three popular cruisers, Inspiration, Toni Matt, and Big Ravine. The mountain tries hard to have these open and usually does by opening day (Dec. 6), but not always. You'll probably be able to get part of the way, then have to pick your way around things if the weather hasn't been conducive.
  • Weather could be cold, but not certain. If it's cold, everything will be more likely to be open, though. The super cold time usually lasts about two weeks, but could be in December, January, or February. Last year was a fluke, it was super cold for around six weeks, January into February. Lifts were closed a number of times, even on weekends. But in the sixteen seasons I've skied here, that was the only extended cold spell I've ever seen. (Of course, if you're from Florida, you might not agree with me on that one...)
  • During that time of the year if things are not close to fully open, they frequently discount tickets pretty substantially. I can't be more specific, I'm a passholder, so don't pay much attention.
  • Flying out of the NY metro area will almost guarantee a plane change. Not in the summer, but in winter. Summer is our high season, so more flights then.
  • Since summer is high season, booking a hotel far in advance for these dates is not necessary.
It was 17° at the house last night. So the ground is getting chilled early. It is supposed to warm a bit now, highs in the 50's at my house, but if we don't suddenly get higher than that, they'll be able to start making snow pretty early, given a steady downward trend. They'll do that in high traffic and lower runs. Mid mountain weather for the next week:
Screenshot_20191003-014720.png

Last edited:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There's better places for that timeframe. Now, compared to where you normally ski (?) you might think it's just great. But, after say 3/10 you're looking at spring conditions. We could close on the last day 100% open and usually do, but grabby snow, some brown spots, early morning ice with late day slush is going to be part of it. Nevertheless, I've got a friend coming every year in late March because he loves it. But I'd point to Colorado for that time period. The snow quality will be better due to the higher elevations. The moisture leaves the snow more easily, meaning it's drier.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I’ve only skied at Winter Park and Alta in the spring. They were great, although late April gets really mushy by noon.
I’d love to try MT-Big Sky or Whitefish.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What’s March/April usually like in Whitefish?
Just to verify, you are speaking for Whitefish, not Big Sky, correct?
Right, I was answering the post immediately above my own.

I'd like to say the answer applied equally to Big Sky, but they are six hours south of here and on the other side of the Continental Divide. Plus there are Ski Diva members on here who are local to Big Sky and I wouldn't presume to usurp their authority.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I’m totally intrigued by Whitefish and would love to visit and ski sometime. If not this spring, maybe next December.

backpackingmom

Certified Ski Diva
Ikon has days at Big Sky I think. Opening day is Nov 28 - Thanksgiving. We had a great season last year. Great place to ski early season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly