• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where to Ski From Northern Jersey

yogiskier

Angel Diva
If you go farther south, there are a few "upside down" ski resorts where the lodge is at the top of mountain (Wintergreen, Blue Knob, Snowshoe). Like Plattekill (and Wildcat in NH), there are also ski areas with a green that starts at the top (Timberline in WV).

I do love that long green - Polecat - from the Wildcat summit! Though it's a little narrow and it is long, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a pure/nervous beginner.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I do love that long green - Polecat - from the Wildcat summit! Though it's a little narrow and it is long, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a pure/nervous beginner.
Perhaps true for someone who learns to ski as an adult. My observation is that little kids love long greens from a peak, assuming they have with parents or grandparents who ski. Seniors (over 60 or 70 or 80) who only ski midweek mornings who are out for a little groomer cruising like long greens too.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I agree, I hated it as an adult beginner. Haha It’s just SO long. But I was a super beginner when I went. I preferred shorter trails at that point.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
We have a place that has the “easiest run down” green which is probably 25 feet across at its narrowest, with trees on one side, a curve right after the narrow point, and a drop off and trees on the outside of the curve. It’s beautiful and has a breathtaking view (at evening ski time, sunset over a wind farm), but the first time I was coming down that one, I definitely had to do a lot of forward/commit chanting.

Djburrito

Certified Ski Diva
I grew up with Mountain Creek in my backyard so I might be a bit biased against it but the snow quality has been consistently poor every year and they have unbelievably crowded trails for such a small resort. Northern NJ just doesn't get the winters it used to so it's all man-made and typically slushy or icy. It's also the closest thing for a lot of NYC and the suburbs which accounts for the crowds. Unless you're night skiing, I'd say it's worth it to add on the extra hour to your day trip and head to the Catskills to Hunter or Windham.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I grew up with Mountain Creek in my backyard so I might be a bit biased against it but the snow quality has been consistently poor every year and they have unbelievably crowded trails for such a small resort. Northern NJ just doesn't get the winters it used to so it's all man-made and typically slushy or icy. It's also the closest thing for a lot of NYC and the suburbs which accounts for the crowds. Unless you're night skiing, I'd say it's worth it to add on the extra hour to your day trip and head to the Catskills to Hunter or Windham.

Good to know @Djburrito.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in MT now but Im a recent transplant from east/central NJ - all of my hard core skiing friends from NJ make the trip to Hunter for mid week skiing. They few times I've been I hated it BUT to be fair I hated all skiing at that point in my life. The west has transformed me.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Am I the only one who likes skiing in the rain? :bounce:The snow was fantastic today and the mountain was literally empty. Yesterday was a fabulous sunny spring skiing day. It was a great weekend for sure! I’ve never regretted it when I venture out in rainy weather.

How do you deal with it raining on your goggles? I was skiing earlier this season when it started snowing and I felt that (and the gray skies) really messed with visibility. I took off my goggles to have lunch and the inside of them got wet and I smeared them dry with my goggle sock (I know - I'm not supposed to do that!), but they kept fogging up after. I tried skiing without my goggles but my eyes were getting pelted with snow, so I called it quits not too long after that.
*I have a clear lens that maybe I could have swapped in and that might have helped with the flat light, but the day started out partly sunny, so I was wearing my everyday lens at the time. I don't have a storm lens but have thought about getting one if they still sell them for my goggles.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
How do you deal with it raining on your goggles? I was skiing earlier this season when it started snowing and I felt that (and the gray skies) really messed with visibility. I took off my goggles to have lunch and the inside of them got wet and I smeared them dry with my goggle sock (I know - I'm not supposed to do that!), but they kept fogging up after. I tried skiing without my goggles but my eyes were getting pelted with snow, so I called it quits not too long after that.
*I have a clear lens that maybe I could have swapped in and that might have helped with the flat light, but the day started out partly sunny, so I was wearing my everyday lens at the time. I don't have a storm lens but have thought about getting one if they still sell them for my goggles.
You need a ski-gee.
https://www.tognar.com/skigee-goggle-wiper-assorted-colors-sold-each/

newboots

Angel Diva
The ski-gee is such a simple solution and it works! The thumb hole is very large, so you can stick it on above your glove and keep it there as you go down the hill. I stop once or twice on a long (Eastern) run and run the wiper!

Did I mention it works?

For fogging, I bought a goggle fan, stupidly expensive but it keeps the fog down. It won't de-fog my glasses, though.

yogiskier

Angel Diva

The ski-gee is such a simple solution and it works! The thumb hole is very large, so you can stick it on above your glove and keep it there as you go down the hill. I stop once or twice on a long (Eastern) run and run the wiper!

Did I mention it works?

Fascinating. A ski-related purchase that is only $6 including shipping? I might have to buy it today :smile:

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Living in North Jersey you can sometimes find irresistible prices for flights from JFK/EWR to Munich or Geneva... maybe not as quick or convenient as a trip to Camelback or Shawnee but soooo much fun. I’m looking forward to the end of the pandemic!

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in MT now but Im a recent transplant from east/central NJ - all of my hard core skiing friends from NJ make the trip to Hunter for mid week skiing. They few times I've been I hated it BUT to be fair I hated all skiing at that point in my life. The west has transformed me.
I lived in Hillsborough for 24 years before moving to Montana 18 years ago. I never even considered going to Huntah. Yikes.

Gilly

Certified Ski Diva
I lived in Hillsborough for 24 years before moving to Montana 18 years ago. I never even considered going to Huntah. Yikes.
Excellent accent you have there :thumbsup: The one time I tried to snowboard @ Hunter we pretty much packed up and went home. You gotta go somewhere in the winter when you can't go to the Jersey Shore ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly