• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Where to go: PA ski resorts 12/22 - 12/25

alison wong

Angel Diva
I have 4 days off: 12/22 - 12/25 and consider taking a mini ski safari to check out few new places. I live in Northern VA. I am bound to ski "local" because I just got a pair of new ski boots (one size smaller), prefer to stay local in case I have boot issues.

I live in Northern VA and am looking into either Western or Eastern PA. Right now, I am leaning towards Eastern PA.

Tentative itinerary I came up with for Eastern PA : 12/22 - Blue Mountain (Leigh Valley) or Jack Frost (Eastern PA); 12/23 & 12/24 - Camelbak; 12/25 - drive back home.

Questions:
1) In terms of early season snowmaking and coverage, how is Eastern PA comparing to Western PA (7 springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel mtn.)

2) For Poconos, based on my research, there is no Poconos ski resort, but there is Camelbak (located in Poconos mtn.), correct? Is 2 days skiing in Cambelbak more than sufficient?

3) Please comment on my tentative itinerary.

4) If Poconos, do you have any hotel recommendations? Plan to stay 2 nights there. Looking for something simple, clean and no frills.

I am open to other destinations, as long as the driving < 4 hours. I thought about WV but want to "save" it for later months, eg. February.

Thanks in advance for your response.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard good things about Blue Knob, out near Altoona. That's where the Pugski Mid-Atlantic gathering is often held. You could ask over there in the resorts forum and I'd bet you'd get some good info on it.

Eastern PA is going to be horrendously crowded during those dates, excepting maybe on Christmas day. But then, everyplace in the east will be crowded as well.

There are many Divas here who can tell you about Jack Frost. I think they have nice snow and a great atmosphere, but the short runs and slow lifts bum me out too much to ski there. Maybe I'm too impatient. :rolleyes:

Camelback is do-able on a crowded weekend because they are pretty good about opening lifts as crowds increase, and you can zip around to the fixed-grip chairs and usually avoid lines.

Blue is my favorite in the area, but weekends and holidays get so crowded as to be absolutely dangerous. I'll ski weekends until about 10am sometimes, but then it becomes unbearable. If you don't have a season pass, the lift lines are appalling.

You might also consider going a bit further north to Elk mountain, which is remote enough not to draw Poconos-sized crowds and is really the best skiing in PA.

Good luck, I hope you have a great trip!

alison wong

Angel Diva
Thanks @SallyCat for the info. I was hoping you can chime in....

You could ask over there in the resorts forum
You mean Pugski? I did not have an account there.

I've heard good things about Blue Knob (BK) but I was told, it is good skiing only when there is plenty snow. For Dec., I am not sure if BK has decent coverage yet. That's why I wanted to wait until later in the season to go (if I go).

Looks like everywhere will be crowded before X'mas? Eastern & Western PA, WV....

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I think Elk has upgraded their snowmaking over years past. But the weather is so variable in the Poconos at Christmas these days, who knows. The only way to tell about coverage etc. is to get on their website as Chriatmas approaches and see what terrain they have open.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would not plan to drive to Blue Knob or Laurel that early in the season. Not enough snowmaking coverage for early season. Better during late season. I would think anywhere close to Pittsburg would be just as crowded as places near Philly. Better to plan a route that goes north instead of west in PA. Blue, Montage, Elk, Plattekill, and Belleayre would be on my list to watch. There is a Microtel Inn in Dickson City that may have a Stay & Play package that includes lift tickets for Elk. About a 20 min drive.

Also should check the opening times for Dec. 24. For instance, Massanutten closes at noon to let their snowsports staff have the afternoon and evening off completely.

Definitely need to check which days around the holidays that Plattekill plans to be open. Plattekill is normally only open on weekends but pretty sure they also have a few days around Christmas when they open up during the week. There will not be a long lift line for sure.

For instance, plan to ski at Blue on Fri, 12/22, then 12/23 at Elk. Can decide later where to ski 12/24. If Plattekill gets fresh snow in mid-Dec, could drive to Oneonta after skiing at Elk. There are a few chain motels there. Driving back to DC from Oneonta, I would drive thru PA instead of taking I-87 to I-95. Same amount of time but much less stressful driving.

Alternatively, could head towards Belleayre after Elk. There are a couple of motels near there next to I-87. Assuming Belle is going to be open all day on 12/24.

I like Elk, Plattekill, and Belleayre based on at least one ski day. Checking out Blue in mid-Dec. Probably Belle as well to see how much difference the new snowmaking and gondola make to the beginner terrain on the lower mountain. When Montage is completely open, it looks like fun. Have only stopped by the base before the season started. Unusual because the "base" is at mid-mountain and the advanced trails are on the lower mountain.

alison wong

Angel Diva
So this is what I came up with - decided to skip Blue altogether and head up to Elk and then go back down to Camelbak.

For itinerary (tentative):
1) Dec 22nd - Whitetail warm up. Drive up to Elk and stay Clarks Summit Dec 22nd night
2) Dec. 23rd - ski Elk. Stay Clarks Summit 23rd night (same place)
3) Dec. 24th - ski Camelbak - Drive to Camelbak morning, stay Tannersville / Bartonsville area Dec 24th night
4) Dec. 25th - ski Camelbak half day - drive back to Virginia.

marzNC

Angel Diva
@alison wong : I'll be interested to hear what you think of Camelback. Certainly has the snowmaking power to open up terrain for early season. Wonder if they do night skiing on Christmas Eve?

alison wong

Angel Diva
@alison wong : I'll be interested to hear what you think of Camelback. Certainly has the snowmaking power to open up terrain for early season. Wonder if they do night skiing on Christmas Eve?

Sure, I will share with y'all if I this trip does materialize.

Whenever Camelbak is mentioned, this story always comes to my mind: It was told by my ski friend, Eunice. She and her husband learned how to ski in Camelbak. Their instructor took them out on this trail, they were only half way through the trail, but their lesson time was up. So, this ski instructor left them to finish it by themselves. Guess how long it took them to finish? ~ 2 hours.

Another reason why I am interested in Camelbak. I want to check out this trail that would take someone 2+ hours to finish.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Keep me in the loop regarding your plans @alison wong - if Whitetail is open, I may be there on 12/22 and we could meet up and ski together.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Update: with the cold temp and recent snow "storm", my mini ski safari to NE PA is a "go" for next week 12/22 - 12/25

Originally I plan to ski at Camelbak 12/24 and morning of 12/25. But I just realized Camelbak will be open 12 noon - 8 pm on 12/25.

With that said, I don't think I will be able to ski Camelbak on 12/25 since I will have 4 hours of driving back to VA.

4 Questions:

1) Is 1 day enough for Camelbak?

2) Which is a better option?
Option A: 12/22 Whitetail, 12/23 Elk; 12/24 Camelbak

Option B: 12/22 Whitetail, 12/23 & 12/24 Camelbak (skip Elk)

3) In terms of % terrain open, Elk vs. Camelbak, which one will be better?

4) How are the black diamonds in Elk & Camelbak compare to blue / blacks in West coast, e.g. Alta, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Whistler Blackcomb ?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In general, blacks in the mid-Atlantic are more like blues at big mountains. Meaning some Mid-A blacks are easier than some blues at Alta. That's why my daughter could ski Alta blues at age 7 since she could ski blacks in VA and NC.

Don't skip Elk.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: with the cold temp and recent snow "storm", my mini ski safari to NE PA is a "go" for next week 12/22 - 12/25

Originally I plan to ski at Camelbak 12/24 and morning of 12/25. But I just realized Camelbak will be open 12 noon - 8 pm on 12/25.

With that said, I don't think I will be able to ski Camelbak on 12/25 since I will have 4 hours of driving back to VA.

4 Questions:

1) Is 1 day enough for Camelbak?

2) Which is a better option?
Option A: 12/22 Whitetail, 12/23 Elk; 12/24 Camelbak

Option B: 12/22 Whitetail, 12/23 & 12/24 Camelbak (skip Elk)

3) In terms of % terrain open, Elk vs. Camelbak, which one will be better?

4) How are the black diamonds in Elk & Camelbak compare to blue / blacks in West coast, e.g. Alta, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Whistler Blackcomb ?

Is there a reason you really want to Camelback? Because Camelback is one of my least favorite of the Pocono or near-Pocono mountains. It's spread out horizontally, but it's short and none of the trails are that steep and they're all a lot alike. Not a lot of variety. And REALLY crowded with Jersey and NYC folks. I'd take Elk or Montage or Jack Frost any day over Camelback. I'd even take Blue over Camelback b/c if I'm gonna deal with insanity, at least Blue has better terrain.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Is there a reason you really want to Camelback? Because Camelback is one of my least favorite of the Pocono or near-Pocono mountains. It's spread out horizontally, but it's short and none of the trails are that steep and they're all a lot alike. Not a lot of variety. And REALLY crowded with Jersey and NYC folks. I'd take Elk or Montage or Jack Frost any day over Camelback. I'd even take Blue over Camelback b/c if I'm gonna deal with insanity, at least Blue has better terrain.

No particular reason to Camelbak, only reason I choose it is because I hear my ski friends mention it often.
I will be traveling from Northern VA, I am not familiar with resorts in NE PA. As long as I don't have to take an extended "detour", I am open to suggestions.

Looking at google map, Montage and JF both are south of Elk. If I make Elk as my first stop, I can hit JF or Montage on my way back home to VA.

Is it still feasible to stay 2 nights (12/22 and 12/23 in Clarks Summit), ski Elk on 12/23? Where do you recommend I stay for 12/24 night, if I am skiing Montage or JF?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No particular reason to Camelbak, only reason I choose it is because I hear my ski friends mention it often.
I will be traveling from Northern VA, I am not familiar with resorts in NE PA. As long as I don't have to take an extended "detour", I am open to suggestions.

Looking at google map, Montage and JF both are south of Elk. If I make Elk as my first stop, I can hit JF or Montage on my way back home to VA.

Is it still feasible to stay 2 nights (12/22 and 12/23 in Clarks Summit), ski Elk on 12/23? Where do you recommend I stay for 12/24 night, if I am skiing Montage or JF?

You could easily stay in Clarks Summit on 12/24 and go to Montage. You could also do the same and go to Jack Frost, but Montage is closer. There's also lodging at the exit Montage is at. Camelback, as I see it has 2 issues: 1) There's nothing really all that special about it and, 2) It's a zoo on the weekend. I'd always recommend Jack Frost or Montage over Camelback, especially on a weekend. I feel like Camelback gets a lot of hype, and I'm honestly not sure why. It's not all that tall and it's not all that steep. It is very crowded because of it's proximity to North Jersey and NYC. I've only been there repeatedly b/c of free weekday demo days through a local Philly shop.

Jack Frost is a lot like Camelback. It's very wide horizontally and short. 600 or so feet, nothing all that steep (even the blacks), although I feel like some of Jack Frost's East Mountain trails seems steeper than Camelbacks? Specifically, Rivershot and Floyd's. Although, I don't know degrees so that's just feel. Jack Frost also has great tree skiing and blue bumps mid-season.

Montage is definitely steeper and taller. The steepest trail on the North Face (lower mountain) is 32 degrees (White Lightning). It's also close to 1,000 feet so similar to Blue and Elk. Downside to Montage is because of past mismanagement, they're in good hands now seemingly, their only bottom to top lift is not high speed and badly in need of replacement (the Long Haul lift... it's literally a LONG HAUL). So Montage while it has a lot of vertical feels divided. Greens and Blues on top, Blacks on the lower half (the North Face).

Tagging @vanhoskier in case she has anything to add. She's lived here longer and has skied in NEPA much longer than I have.

Last edited:

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose :
2 f/u questions:
1) I can stay 3 nights in Clarks Summit then?

2) Perhaps I can be flexible and decide where to ski after Elk when I get there?

I mean if you can get lodging there (Clarks Summit), it's only 25 min from Clarks Summit to Montage and 50 min to Jack Frost. You could move closer to either, but neither are far from Clarks Summit. Less than an hour for both. In comparison, Elk is 35 min from Clarks Summit. Montage is actually closer than Elk. I'd push for Montage over Jack Frost but I love me an underdog and I'm a passholder this year at Montage even though I'm two hours south in Philly, but you can't go wrong with either. Both are great mountains. I think Montage has gotten a bad rap b/c of mismanagement and I'm not sure why, b/c it's got some of the steepest terrain in PA. They also have an excellent restaurant (Slocum Hollow) in their lodge. But I'm biased. :wink: They don't have the glades Jack Frost has so it's all what you're after. Both have decent bumps (if they even have them in late December). Jack Frost on Exhibition (blue) and Montage on Boomer (black). Of the two I prefer Boomer b/c they're not seeded, they let them develop from skier traffic. But in late December both trees and bumps are hard to come by, if that's even your thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna