• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Where is a good resort close to Zurich for beginners?

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
Staying with partner in Zurich for a work secondment right through the ski season. Would anyone recommend any resorts close enough to Zurich by train but ok for entry level skiers? A friend recommended Verbier but some of the slopes look challenging....as well as the prices :-/

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Verbier (great place) is closer to Geneva, but what about Wengen in the Jungfrau? Beautiful resort, pedestrian village, might take a couple trains to get there but lovely views and skiing.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only been there in the summer, but Grindelwald struck me as a great spot for a beginner/low intermediate skier. Chocolate-box village and the Eiger in the background. We stayed at the Youth Hostel, which was really nice. And Wengen (as @santacruz skier mentioned) just round the corner.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've only been there in the summer, but Grindelwald struck me as a great spot for a beginner/low intermediate skier. Chocolate-box village and the Eiger in the background. We stayed at the Youth Hostel, which was really nice. And Wengen (as @santacruz skier mentioned) just round the corner.
Yes skied to Grindelwald on the same trip.... lovely place as well.

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
Verbier (great place) is closer to Geneva, but what about Wengen in the Jungfrau? Beautiful resort, pedestrian village, might take a couple trains to get there but lovely views and skiing.

Thanks it only seems a couple of hours away and may be worth renting the car. Looks beautiful like you say. As a beginner who is a hiker, i always appreciate a good view regardless of the skiing

Cygnet

Certified Ski Diva
Will you be staying in the ski resort, or wanting to commute daily from Zurich?

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you going skiing this upcoming weekend? Seriously wishing I lived a bit closer to the Alps right now :becky:

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks we’ve just got back this week from Spain so a little shattered. Is the snow usually good in January? I’ve been told to wait a couple of weekends but not sure. Are you guys going out this weekend?

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure about Switzerland but they’ve had to close ski areas in the German and Austrian Alps because they’ve had so much snow over the last few days and the avalanche risk is too high. Once the weather clears, conditions should be amazing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not sure about Switzerland but they’ve had to close ski areas in the German and Austrian Alps because they’ve had so much snow over the last few days and the avalanche risk is too high. Once the weather clears, conditions should be amazing.
Heard that too. I leave in two weeks for Switzerland. On the way to Tahoe now!

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:tongue:

No closures so far in the Swiss Alps! But yes the avalanche risk will probably be 4 or 5 everywhere this weekend except in France. As long as lifts are open, that shouldn't be a big problem for piste skiers.

Thanks we’ve just got back this week from Spain so a little shattered. Is the snow usually good in January? I’ve been told to wait a couple of weekends but not sure. Are you guys going out this weekend?

Nice, hope you enjoyed Spain! We just got back from Les Menuires in France. There was not a single fleck of fresh snow while it's dumping meters in Austria so we'll probably head out again this weekend :tongue: We might go to Feldberg as they're getting 50cm of fresh snow too. Still waiting to see how things evolve this week.

Have a look at https://www.zuerich.com/en/visit/ski-areas-near-zurich, though I haven't been to any of the ski areas described.

Zermatt and St Anton are accessible by train from Zurich, but not recommended for beginners. Lech (nr St Anton) might be worth considering - there is a very good transfer service from Zurich Airport https://arlbergexpress.com/en/.
Honestly at 1,5hrs max, all of those resorts mentioned on the Zurich website would be worth checking out. So many cool underrated smaller resorts to be found all over the Alps.

I skied in Zermatt a few weeks back and while I enjoyed it, I think there's better options around when living in Zürich. The lift tickets on the Swiss side were the most expensive I've seen so far in Europe. The Arlberg bus connection sounds interesting!

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
thanks let me know what you choose this weekend. I am still undecided where to go first for us beginners and mere mortals. Somewhere around Zurich so we can get the train but we would be happy staying overnight in a resort on the saturday evening

emmthorpedo

Certified Ski Diva
:tongue:

No closures so far in the Swiss Alps! But yes the avalanche risk will probably be 4 or 5 everywhere this weekend except in France. As long as lifts are open, that shouldn't be a big problem for piste skiers.

Nice, hope you enjoyed Spain! We just got back from Les Menuires in France. There was not a single fleck of fresh snow while it's dumping meters in Austria so we'll probably head out again this weekend :tongue: We might go to Feldberg as they're getting 50cm of fresh snow too. Still waiting to see how things evolve this week.

Honestly at 1,5hrs max, all of those resorts mentioned on the Zurich website would be worth checking out. So many cool underrated smaller resorts to be found all over the Alps.

I skied in Zermatt a few weeks back and while I enjoyed it, I think there's better options around when living in Zürich. The lift tickets on the Swiss side were the most expensive I've seen so far in Europe. The Arlberg bus connection sounds interesting!

do you think Engelberg is worth it for a nights stay? I think its ok for beginners looking at reviews

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh man I'd love to check out all those areas close to Zurich. My Dad grew up there and I've always wanted to ski Switzerland.

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
do you think Engelberg is worth it for a nights stay? I think its ok for beginners looking at reviews
Yes! Engelberg should have more than enough to keep you entertained for a couple of days at the very least. Forecast is looking pretty damn good too, semi-overcast on Saturday, snowy on Sunday. Should be good fun! I'm still torn between Engelberg or Feldberg or maaaaaaybe Austria this weekend :becky:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna