• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: When to get new skis?

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been riding a 2012 pair of Volkl Charisma 163 skis. Love them! Not seeing any degradation of the bindings, but I don't know much about bindings, so there's that. I've noticed the front tip of one of the skis lost part of the plastic guard, but other than that, they are in pretty good shape aside from the cover sheet being a little scratched.

I've heard that ski techs won't work on bindings older than 10 years old, so I am wondering, as a heavy skier (5'6", women's size 18 - "level III" skier on my bindings), whether it's time to replace my skis and how badly the bindings will degrade over time. Obviously, everyone is going to tell me to get a new pair because - duh - we're divas, but the thing is, I'm remodeling a kitchen this year, so do I really NEED new skis?

Yesterday, I demoed a pair of Volkls (Kenja?) that were the same length as my current skis, and I hated them. They felt like skiing with a pair of 2X4s strapped to my boots. No response and heavy as all get out. My thighs are still burning today.

I also demoed a pair of Rossignol E80 Carbon 156 that were ok, but felt a little short, probably because my current skis are 163. However, after demoing the Volkls, the Rossis felt pretty good, but almost overly responsive. So with a ski that feels overly responsive, would that end up being an okay ski if I could get it in a longer length or is that one of those things that I might actually be better off modifying my ski style? My current 163s feel more secure, but maybe just because I'm used to them. I'm an okay, not great, skier.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kenja and Charisma are pretty different skis. Kenja being a lot wider with a lot less sidecut. I remember demoing the Charisma forever ago, and it sorta felt like a tuned down race ski. I dunno if anything in the current Flair lineup has a similar feel? Not sure where/what you ski or what sort of waist width you're hoping for? Something similar to the Charisma?

All that being said, if your bindings are still on the indemnified list, you could get away with using them until they're not. Found a 21-22 list online, but someone else may have something better/more current: https://www.skibum.net/do-it-up/gear-guide/indemnified-bindings/

Could always call a shop and ask if they can still service the bindings if you're not sure.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I suggest having a qualified and reputable ski tune shop at least do a binding test on those skis of yours. That will let you know if the internal.speings are still viable and safe in terms of releasing as expected. Otherwise, keep them and enjoy them.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
My opinion… good time to start demo‘ing. You can try out skis without urgency and watch sale prices. You know the bindings will not be indemnified soon, even if they still are. So why wait until they’re donezo? Then you’d have to demo under pressure. I say demo and then buy on sale. :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have these same skis, similar vintage, same length - and also love them. Are the bindings the integrated Markers? If so, it looks like they are still indemnified. The tip thing is just cosmetic (for now).

Agree with your assessment of Charisma's vs. Kenja. I had the same 2 x 4 feel from them. Nope.

Also agree with those who say it might be time to try out something different, if at all possible.

Good luck. I know I will weep when my Charismas are "done." (I bought them used to begin with!)

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demo time! Certainly if your bindings are fine and the skis still ski okay, then use this year to look at options. There's so many good skis in the 80-90 range, and it's very much personal preference. You could look at the Ti versions of the Experience, Santa Ana 88, have a go on the newest BP88, try the K2 Mindbender 89Ti...

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first skis were K2s, so I may look back into that line. I didn't realize that my favorite Midwest hill demos premium skis until this past Tuesday, so I'll demo again when I go back.

Yes, looking for something with a narrower waist. The Kenjas were very heavy and looked like they would be a great powder ski, but we don't get much powder here. I ski mostly groomed, tiny Midwestern hills. Thank you everyone for the input. The bindings are the original integrated (Marker, I think) bindings, so I'll double check what they are and check that list, and definitely start demoing more before they indemnify.

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
I recently bought those same Rossis you demo’d for my teen daughter she’s only taken them out a few times but she’s happy with them. She sticks to groomers and is a good intermediate, but nervous skier. As they have the adjustable binding and we’re almost the same size I jumped on them for fun. I’m no ski tester lol, but I thought they were a good ski if someone wanted a narrower waist and leaned toward the not aggressive side. They were fun and I pushed them pretty hard. In a longer size you may really like them. I’m 5’3” and felt I would size up in them if I were to buy them.

I concur with other advice. Start demoing when you’re not in a rush and hopefully you can find a great match at a great price!

Soujan

Angel Diva
I suggest having a qualified and reputable ski tune shop at least do a binding test on those skis of yours. That will let you know if the internal.speings are still viable and safe in terms of releasing as expected. Otherwise, keep them and enjoy them.
I've taken older skis to REI and they won't even test them unless they are on the indemnified list.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've taken older skis to REI and they won't even test them unless they are on the indemnified list.
I would be inclined to get new bindings if too old to test...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna