• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When is the best time to pick up a "deal" on skis?

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
When do you find is the best time to buy new (or demo) ski equipment? I was thinking it would be now, but I'm finding that sizes, etc are already becoming scarse. Do ski shops sell off their demo gear throughout the year as well?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find deals off and on during the year. Just keep your eyes open all the time.
Check out ebay, craigslist, and other great sources.
Sometimes you can find decent skis on SAC too.

I'll keep my eyes open for you and let you know if I come accross something.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of ski shops in Vermont were having big Columbus Day sales last weekend, getting rid of the past seasons' unsold and demo equipment. As you can imagine, the selection wasn't that great. You pretty much had to take what they had left. So if you're lucky -- or not too fussy -- that's a good way to go. If you don't ski a lot and don't care too much about having the latest and the greatest, you could do worse than buying last years' equipment. It's still good stuff.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are several ways to get good deals.

End of season sales are an excellent time to buy demos. Shops and resorts don't want them hanging around all summer.

At the end of summer/early fall, you'll usually find lots of sales to move out whatever is left of last year's gear and apparel. As you get closer to the season, anything from the previous season gets scarcer, so the earlier you start looking, the better. If you want this season's stuff and your local shop is out of your size, they can usually order it for you.

I recommend getting yourself on the mailing lists of nearby ski shops so you get notices of their sales.

Also, I believe you mentioned a ski trip in January to Breck. Believe it or not, lots of resort-area shops have sales in January. You could very well find an excellent deal while on vacation. How cool would that be? ;)

Ski swaps are an excellent resource. Many people use their gear for a year or two and then HAVE to buy what's the latest and greatest, so they sell their gear at swaps for cheapo prices. That's how I have a "quiver" of skis. :cool: Some swaps are definitely better than others. I'm not sure what swaps near you are the "best"--you're in Florida, right?--so you'll have to ask around. Maybe find the website for your nearest ski club. They usually have that kind of info posted (often they are the ones holding the swaps, but also look for ones sponsored by schools and ski shops).

As SnowHot said, online shops are a great resource. In addition to the websites she mentioned, try sierratradingpost.com and altrec.com, both are reputable.

Thatsagirl

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna