• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When is it you vs. your equipment?

newbieM

Angel Diva
I had an interesting weekend skiing, I had some moments that felt totally awesome, in control, decent form, having a blast and doing challenging terrain (for me) etc. Then I had hours that I just couldn't make it through a run without stopping, felt like the speed was scaring me, was getting bounced around by the choppy snow and just not having that much fun.

So, how do I know if it is my skill or if maybe I need better gear?

For example, I sometimes feel like I don't have enough control of my skis, like I am working too hard to make them turn instead of letting the ski do its job. I also felt like anything chunky (and there was plenty of it at powder mountain yesterday) was just bouncing me all over the place.

Any advice on how to best tackle this? Do I rent boots and see if it helps? Rent other types of skis?

gingerjess

Angel Diva
First question—are you using your own pair of boots, fit by a professional bootfitter, and do they hold your calves snugly (avoiding shin bang)? If so, it's probably safe to eliminate boots as a variable. If not, getting set up with a well-fitted pair of boots should be your first priority.

When thinking about skis, it's important to keep in mind that it isn't just a matter of "better" or "worse". Different skis will do well in different conditions and placed under different stresses.

My most recent ski purchase wasn't because there was something wrong with my Ripsticks; it was because I had identified a set of conditions (on-piste; harder snow) and activities (higher speeds; tighter turns) where they weren't quite giving me what I wanted.

It sounds like you've identified some conditions and activities (higher speeds in more marginal/skied-up conditions) for which your current skis aren't behaving the way you want them to. If I were you, I would ask myself, "are these conditions consistently problematic for me?"

If they consistently feel bad, and other conditions feel consistently good, that could be an indication that your equipment just can't cope and that finding a pair of skis better suited to those conditions could be a good choice, taking in mind the specific things (waist width, stiffness, length) that might be factors in why things currently feel bad.

If they sometimes feel good, though, or if you can't narrow down a particular set of conditions where they consistently feel bad, that could be a sign that there's some set of skills or actions you can apply to make those conditions feel good (keeping boots properly tightened; staying out of the backseat; transferring weight instead of applying pressure), but you need to practice and maybe take a lesson to learn how to apply those actions consciously and consistently.

npskihappy

Certified Ski Diva
It almost always technique. I have an interesting story about this. I noticed my husband was rocking it on his new skis the beginning of one season. I comment something to the affect, hey you are skiing so much better with those new skis. The very next day he puts on his old skis and has the exact same skills. He just levels up when I am not with him on these guys trips.

If you don't feel in control that is absolutely your technique. You need to master your turning and carving in order to get better control and embrace the speed. Powder skiing is tough too and is a different technique. I fall a lot when I powder ski especially at the end of the day when it is all chopped out.

You can always demo skis and boots and see if that makes a difference, but getting out there and practicing technique is better idea.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
@newbieM … we’ve talked before about how similar our situations are.

Couple of notes.
1) it CAN be the equipment - skis too short, too narrow, too wide, goggles too big, poles too long/short, boots too loose, etc. At least half of these have happened to me. I’m assuming it’s none of those based on your question.

2) It can be neither equipment nor competence. There are days where I just am not in the right headspace… skills I had will be gone. Everything feels hard. Hard makes me go back and do all kinds of stupid stuff. If I’m in the wrong headspace, I take a break, reset and resume. reset can look like a few easy runs, it can look like a latte, it can look like “oooh, I’ll buy this sticker from the gift shop” … do you have some easy reset buttons?

3) it can absolutely also be us. LESSONS! :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
It almost always technique. I have an interesting story about this. I noticed my husband was rocking it on his new skis the beginning of one season. I comment something to the affect, hey you are skiing so much better with those new skis. The very next day he puts on his old skis and has the exact same skills. He just levels up when I am not with him on these guys trips.

If you don't feel in control that is absolutely your technique. You need to master your turning and carving in order to get better control and embrace the speed. Powder skiing is tough too and is a different technique. I fall a lot when I powder ski especially at the end of the day when it is all chopped out.

You can always demo skis and boots and see if that makes a difference, but getting out there and practicing technique is better idea.
I agree with that EXCEPT if it's boots that really don't fit. Sometimes as a beginner you can wind up in "comfy" boots that can just be a disaster.

And IMHO there is no sense in demoing boots unless you are the magical creature they modeled the boot after. For most... boots need custom fitting to your foot. And they're not going to customize a boot until you buy it. Seek true professional help for boot fitting. To me - demoing is for skis only.

But taking a lesson can help sort it all out. A good instructor will point out if you have any obvious gear issues.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had an interesting weekend skiing, I had some moments that felt totally awesome, in control, decent form, having a blast and doing challenging terrain (for me) etc. Then I had hours that I just couldn't make it through a run without stopping, felt like the speed was scaring me, was getting bounced around by the choppy snow and just not having that much fun.
How much did the snow conditions vary? Even at my home hill in northern VA, the difference between the morning grooming and the afternoon snow that's been pushed around can make a huge difference to an intermediate. There is a reason I used to quit by 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon at Massanutten or at Alta.

Choppy snow is very tough to ski smoothly. Even when it's a green in Utah. What works without effort in the morning is not likely to produce the same results after lunch.

You don't happen to play golf do you? Trying to be consistent in hitting a ball even under ideal conditions is very, very hard. With skiing, every run is actually a little different because of assorted factors. As noted, your mental state or how tired due to lack of sleep or whatever can be as much a factor as whether or not it's snowing or sunny.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a Snowbasin skier, yesterday's conditions were not easy! They changed every two turns, and any time there's boilerplate hard pack intermixed with powder and crud, it is very challenging to stay balanced.

So, if you struggled yesterday, you are not alone.

mustski

Angel Diva
First question—are you using your own pair of boots, fit by a professional bootfitter, and do they hold your calves snugly (avoiding shin bang)? If so, it's probably safe to eliminate boots as a variable. If not, getting set up with a well-fitted pair of boots should be your first priority.
^^^ This. I see you are from LA. As someone who struggled for years to find competent boot fitters in SoCal, I'm feeling a bit of deja vu here. Boots that are too big are generally fine on hard packed powder and groomers. But, when conditions deteriorate - crud, mashed potatoes,sluch ... or improve - lovely fresh powder ... the boot issues become apparent. Boots transmit the info from your feet to your skis. This is important.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is always the gear, even when it is not the gear. Wink wink...

I think the ladies covered everything above. It can be the gear and the conditions and out technique and our head space.

I have skis I can only ski on soft snow and I look like I am doing one long side slip on ice with them, well, because I am. Good gear that is not right or feels off for you can make one run hell and another heaven.

Boots can also make things off, but it sounds like you have great runs with those boots so that makes me think it is not likely the boots.

Oh the snow. When it is not the gear, it is always the gear, then it is most definitely the snow! Said half in jest, half not. The lesson part will not change the snow, but it could help identify if there are skill gaps making icky snow impossible to ski.

Start with what your instincts tell you are the issue. Gear or lessons are both expensive.

mustski

Angel Diva
It is always the gear, even when it is not the gear. Wink wink...

Boots can also make things off, but it sounds like you have great runs with those boots so that makes me think it is not likely the boots.
No. I strongly disagree. As someone who struggled with boots for years… groomers vs 3D snow tells the tale.

The key was … “For example, I sometimes feel like I don't have enough control of my skis, like I am working too hard to make them turn instead of letting the ski do its job.”

Not having control of her skis is a tell.

newboots

Angel Diva
I am clearly too late to this thread! Everyone has it well in hand.

I would not rent boots to see if they will be better.

And IMHO there is no sense in demoing boots unless you are the magical creature they modeled the boot after. For most... boots need custom fitting to your foot. And they're not going to customize a boot until you buy it. Seek true professional help for boot fitting. To me - demoing is for skis only.
Yeah.

But @contesstant has given us inside knowledge! That's really helpful.

And @Iwannaski said what I was going to say. Good day, bad day. For me recently, amazing conditions, difficult conditions. The tougher terrain and conditions this week seemed to erase all my amazingness from Diva East and Saddleback. It will come back.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newbieM - I remember when you first started skiing that you had rental boots, then upgraded to hand me down boots with some fitter tweaks. I don’t remember though if you have upgraded further. If not, I would suggest checking the fit of your boots first. Are you feeling tossed about in the chop? Are your heels lifting at all while skiing? Is there any extra room either in front of or behind your lower leg in the boot cuff? For the longest time I thought I had a “lazy left.” Then I discovered that using the power strap under the shell really works better for me, and that issue disappeared. But it was in a clinic that I discovered this, so a big yes to lessons and equipment. And if you’re lucky it can be tweaks and not replacement, like I had.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At PowMow? This weekend? Where it rained and then froze and then snowed? My money is on conditions - very inconsistent. If you're better at powder than groomed or vice versa you'd feel the shift over the day.

Beyond that? Lots of options.

I think it's easy to forget sometimes that skiing is a sport and that our performance can vary. This sounds weird, but when I have a bad day out cycling, it's usually pretty easy for me to diagnose: I didn't sleep well. I'm not recovered from the day before because I decided to lift. A freak snow shower popped up on my last mile. Construction meant I couldn't get into a rhythm for the first five miles. I don't think I need to sell the bike or that I'm not fit. Bad days happen.

When I have a bad day skiing, though, my first thought is never "maybe low light on five hours of sleep is a bad day" but "I must not be good at this."

It's worth examining your equipment, but it might just be a combination of bad conditions and having an off day.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At PowMow? This weekend? Where it rained and then froze and then snowed? My money is on conditions - very inconsistent. If you're better at powder than groomed or vice versa you'd feel the shift over the day.

Beyond that? Lots of options.

I think it's easy to forget sometimes that skiing is a sport and that our performance can vary. This sounds weird, but when I have a bad day out cycling, it's usually pretty easy for me to diagnose: I didn't sleep well. I'm not recovered from the day before because I decided to lift. A freak snow shower popped up on my last mile. Construction meant I couldn't get into a rhythm for the first five miles. I don't think I need to sell the bike or that I'm not fit. Bad days happen.

When I have a bad day skiing, though, my first thought is never "maybe low light on five hours of sleep is a bad day" but "I must not be good at this."

It's worth examining your equipment, but it might just be a combination of bad conditions and having an off day.
100% yes. My bad biking days I call my "Gumby" days. I have the same days on skis at times, not as often as I used to for sure. Conditions this weekend were the most challenging I've skied all season. I was ready to sell my Nelas, if that means anything. I first skied my Santa Anas thinking "powder" and they felt horrible, grabbed the Nelas and they felt horrible, then realized I was struggling due to conditions and also starting in the afternoon, which is never a good idea for me.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No. I strongly disagree. As someone who struggled with boots for years… groomers vs 3D snow tells the tale.

The key was … “For example, I sometimes feel like I don't have enough control of my skis, like I am working too hard to make them turn instead of letting the ski do its job.”

Not having control of her skis is a tell.
I really have to second this as I am going thru a process with my current boots and in the process of being fitted for new .... possibly one grows as a skier and the boots pack out all those boot inadequacies really show up on 3D snow...... but the "working too hard" really resonates with me - it shouldn't be 'hard' it should be effortless. Just a bit of play in the boot mutes the power you transmit......

Christy

Angel Diva
I will add to the chorus that if your boots are not fitted perfectly, you will sure feel it in poor conditions, or even deep snow. On groomers, you probably don't feel it as much, and you can get away with a less than ideal fit, or a too big boot.

I also felt like anything chunky (and there was plenty of it at powder mountain yesterday) was just bouncing me all over the place.

That is very common for a novice. Bumps/bumpy conditions are just harder to ski than groomers or powder, and we have to learn different skills.

At PowMow? This weekend? Where it rained and then froze and then snowed?

That sounds extremely challenging. I personally wouldn't bother to ski on a day like that. Partly because it isn't fun and partly because I don't want to get hurt, or worse.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Ya I feel like I have too much movement in my boot, bought my boots used and I think they are just too packed out. When I went to get them tweaked, the boot fitter mentioned that they were more of a beginner boot and if I wanted more control I probably need to upgrade. So I'll be socking away some money in hopes of getting new boots next season. I wish skiing wasn't so cost prohibitive, as a single mom it is certainly tough to afford all this stuff. This past weekend was pretty interesting how inconsistent I skied from day to day/hour to hour. Part of it is my endurance, and part of it was the conditions just kept changing from day to day and throughout the day and I am still learning how to deal with that.

Also on my wish list, Taos women ski week if I can somehow manage it in 2023 with getting coverage for my kids and affording the trip. I've got my ski envelope where I am stashing a bit each week in hopes to be able to splurge on these two things next year.

newbieM

Angel Diva
I will add to the chorus that if your boots are not fitted perfectly, you will sure feel it in poor conditions, or even deep snow. On groomers, you probably don't feel it as much, and you can get away with a less than ideal fit, or a too big boot.

That is very common for a novice. Bumps/bumpy conditions are just harder to ski than groomers or powder, and we have to learn different skills.

That sounds extremely challenging. I personally wouldn't bother to ski on a day like that. Partly because it isn't fun and partly because I don't want to get hurt, or worse.

Ya the snow at PowMow was very new to me this time. In the morning there were 3-4 inches of fresh powder, but under it was icy. It got windy so at the top of the groomers it was very icy but once you got off the top it was pretty OK. It was both awesome to have that fresh snow but also as you skied across it you just hit the ice underneath. I had some very fun runs but it was also pretty new experience. By the afternoon, the sun came out and everything was just churned up, it was like skiing on all this inconsistent snow which just made it hard for me to feel super comfortable as I gained speed.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Ya I feel like I have too much movement in my boot, bought my boots used and I think they are just too packed out. When I went to get them tweaked, the boot fitter mentioned that they were more of a beginner boot and if I wanted more control I probably need to upgrade. So I'll be socking away some money in hopes of getting new boots next season.
Maybe ask your bootfitter if they have any good end of the season deals coming up (it's that time of year that stuff starts going on sale). Or if they don't have much leftover, try to get some recommendations of size and boots to look for, and keep an eye out over the next couple months.

In the meantime...you could always try snugging up your current boots...try insole shims under your liners, or some butterfly pads around your ankles. Might help get you through the end of the season for very little money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna