• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

When do you think you'll start skiing this year?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My home mountain usually opens mid-November. And when it does, I'll be out there.

When do you think your season will start this year?

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant is scheduling Nov 21st as opening day. Well I have to work on Friday, but come Saturday morning, you'll find me there. And if they should open the week before, even better. Our local bump will be much later!

abc

Banned
X'mas/New Year if I'm lucky. Otherwise, first weekend of Jan is my usual start of season.

I'm a cheapscape and dislike crowds. So I don't even THINK about Thanksgiving (not to mention I'm going to Southeast Asia for Thanksgiving, maybe water-skiing?). Christmas & New Year is ONLY if there's really good snow, which hasn't been the case for the past few years.

But come Januaray, there's promotion left and right. And nobody is skiing. So I'll start!

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I predict I'll take a few runs before the end of October. :D

I SO envy you. Your season must last forever!!!

I doubt I'll be skiing before the end of November. I really am hoping to have some decent snow for my Christmas break - I need something to look forward too:eek:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
X Christmas & New Year is ONLY if there's really good snow, which hasn't been the case for the past few years.
Not sure where you're referring to, but last year, northern New England (where I live) had the best December for snowfall and conditions for years. Almost legendary. Resorts up here were close to 100% open before the holidays. And it kept snowing.

Mid-November for my start. Traditional opening, weather permitting, is around Veterans' Day.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Opening day here is Thaksgiving as long as it gets cold enough to make snow.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Christmas & New Year is ONLY if there's really good snow, which hasn't been the case for the past few years.

Hey - you were at Plattekill around X-mas if I recall. :smile:

My season will probably start late December. Unless a giant snowstorm hits the area.

:snow:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I thought I'd read somewhere that Killington has their planned opening day as Nov 13th, but now I can't find where I saw it. Anyways, hopefully that weekend will be my first day on the snow. I'm heading up to Albany that weekend and the weekend after, anyways, so it would be nice to get one day each weekend in.

I'll also be home for Thanksgiving this year, so I'll definitely get up that weekend at some point if all else fails.

8 weeks!!! Getting close, finally!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, with my childcare situation such as it is, I probably won't get up until the end of November at the very least. I didn't ski last year until January. Honestly, unless conditions are decent, it's not worth it to me to sit in the car for that long AND deal with finding someone to watch the kiddo (or paying exorbitant amounts for on-mountain daycare).

Marigee

Angel Diva
My ski season will start mid-December, if the weather co-operates. :smile:

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If everything goes as well this year, hopefully October. More likely though, it will be November.

Its getting cooler and cooler by the day. Next week overnight temps are predicted to be in the low 30s- yeah!

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alta always opens the week before Thanksgiving (snow permitting) so hopefully I'll be shreddin' right around then :smile:

abc

Banned
Hey - you were at Plattekill around X-mas if I recall. :smile:
Not sure where you're referring to, but last year, northern New England (where I live) had the best December for snowfall and conditions for years. Almost legendary. Resorts up here were close to 100% open before the holidays. And it kept snowing.
Exactly!

Last year, we had REALLY good storm in December (ESA weekend at Stowe!). And the snow lasted till X'mas. But not New Year (it was ice on New Year)!

So yea, I skied in December last year, which was a first for me (in NY anyway). In fact, I didn't "planned" any ski trips for December last year. They all kind of happened last minute, when I saw the forecast and decided to drive out...

I'm indifferent when I START to ski. A bit earlier or a bit later, the coverage is often marginal. So I couldn't care all that much. I'm a spring (ski) chicken. That's when the sun is out and the air is warm, with thick (sometimes slushy) snow covers. That's when I REALLY enjoy skiing. And even for the finaky NE, it's very often there's snow till end of April. So why the big hurry? ;)

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And even for the finaky NE, it's very often there's snow till end of April. So why the big hurry? ;)

Because I love skiing. I'd do it year round if I could. You may not love it like some of us do but why would you question our desire to get out and enjoy something we love?

So why the big hurry? ;)

This is a thread for those of us that are excited about the START of ski season, and the thread is meant to build anticipation and excitement. Please don't rain on our parade!

My first scheduled day for skiing is Tuesday, December 2 at Okemo with Ski Diva (if I can keep up with her!), but if we get some amazing snow in November, I might have to sneak away on a weekday. My local mountain where I ski on weekends and during holiday periods doesn't typically open until mid-December depending on conditions, but they bought a lot of new snow guns for the season. Tonight that I realized that December 2 is 10 1/2 weeks away. That's getting countable! Maybe I need to print up a calendar and start marking down the days....

abc

Banned
Because I love skiing. I'd do it year round if I could. You may not love it like some of us do but why would you question our desire to get out and enjoy something we love?
Someone missed the winky???

It's one thing to love skiing. It's something else to be militant.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna