• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Whats your set up? AT/ Backcountry

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Analisa - gotcha - and that's fine re: compatibility, since I'm gonna go with a straight tech binding. I did google elastic travel (and found this helpful - https://blisterreview.com/at-binding-reviews/bindings-201). So does that mean I should look at bindings more aligned to the Dynafit Rotation vs. the Radical or even the Speedfit? The sites don't provide elastic travel metrics, so I'm looking at the construction to assess whether there seems to be some elasticity.

From what I understand, DIN is the same for Tech as it is for Alpine, though correct me if I'm wrong. I measure at a 6.5 Alpine (though will be moving down to a 5.5 in a couple years due to age). I certainly don't want to crank a binding higher than a 6.5 - and on some of my skis, I keep it at 5.5 or 6.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Analisa - gotcha - and that's fine re: compatibility, since I'm gonna go with a straight tech binding. I did google elastic travel (and found this helpful - https://blisterreview.com/at-binding-reviews/bindings-201). So does that mean I should look at bindings more aligned to the Dynafit Rotation vs. the Radical or even the Speedfit? The sites don't provide elastic travel metrics, so I'm looking at the construction to assess whether there seems to be some elasticity.

From what I understand, DIN is the same for Tech as it is for Alpine, though correct me if I'm wrong. I measure at a 6.5 Alpine (though will be moving down to a 5.5 in a couple years due to age). I certainly don't want to crank a binding higher than a 6.5 - and on some of my skis, I keep it at 5.5 or 6.

So here's the travel numbers I've been able to dig up for those 3. They'll also differ by how much adjustability you have for changing boot sizes:

Rotation - 10mm of travel in the heel, but also has more "functional range" (just stealing lines from this Wildsnow article) with a rotating toe piece.

Radical ST - 6mm of travel in the heel, no rotating toe piece

Speedfit - essentially none

DINs translate over. The difference that I found super confusing is that the bindings aren't DIN certified but have a DIN. What I've gathered is that if a DIN is set as a 5, it's generally the same as an alpine binding, except for one test of consistency where the ski is flexed (the pins tend to press deeper into the heel of the boot, making it harder to release with that positioning). There are 13 parts to the DIN certification, and there's no visibility as to whether a tech binding just fails that one, or if there are lots of others where it doesn't meet the bar. Comforting... Here's the Wildsnow piece on how they're tested if it's of interest.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After 12 plus years on dynafit speed and my husband on dynafit radical with no issues, I don't think I would go with any thing else for my tour setup. I release when I needed to. The only time either of us had issues when we clicked straight into downhill mode at a resort and didn't double check the toe piece and the ski popped off unexpectedly. Now we know to flip the toe piece up and down a few times before we click down to ski mode to make sure we are in the toe piece. We love how reliable, light weight and easy they are. They also hold their resell value well.

I also skin with black diamond ascension skins. Their glue last forever. I have a pair that is 8 years old and still can be hard to peel apart. They do well on challenging skin tracks and conditions. Mohair glides better but doesn't seem to last as long and punish you with poor technique on steep climbs. It really depends on your touring terrain and what you need for the terrain.

I have seen just less issues with black diamond ascension skins than other brands or styles.

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks @WaterGirl. I don't really have (m)any partners for this. I have some friends who did the Intro and Avy class a few years ago, but they haven't gone back out for a few years, so I wouldn't go alone with them based on their experience. I figure I'll likely sign up for a tour or two at the local shop to start. My husband isn't really interested in backcountry - and I do love the resort skiing - so I need to balance my time.

I joined a FB group for SF Backcountry skiers, but they all seem really advanced, so it's a bit intimidating.

I'd love to try the Ripstick 94s - the shop that demos the 102 also carries the 94, but they don't have any in their demo fleet.

Tahoe Backcountry Ladies - what do you ski and what do you see out there? Recommendations on skis? Or widths?

HELLO!!! I'll be a Tahoe backcountry partner if you're looking for friends!

I took a Women's Intro to Backcountry Touring at Alpenglow Expeditions in January, and highly recommend the experience. I love learning environments with no men.

My husband and I then took the AIARE 1 course in January, and we've been out a few times since (7 times total, including guided tours.) We're strong intermediate skiers, and we've mostly been on easy/moderate tours (max ~7mi/2500ft elevation.)
We're aiming for ~15 days in the backcountry this year. (Probably 1 resort + 1 backcountry tour a weekend.)

For equipment: We both have 50/50 setups.

Me: 5'3" (160 cm), 130 pounds
Skis: Elan Ripstick 102s at 163cm.
They've got a lot of rocker on them, so they ski shorter -- I haven't noticed the length being a problem. I was also considering the 94s, but I've appreciated the extra width -- they've been great on breakable crust. They're also SO FUN!! I love skis with a short turn radius, and these skis are so poppy and playful.
Bindings: Black Diamond Fritschi Tecton.
These are basically the Vipecs with an alpine heel. Fritschi updated the step-in, and they're really easy to get in/out of.
I was optimizing for safety -- I wanted something with elastic travel in the toe, and something that would reliably release. I've tested the release in walk mode, and can confirm that I come out of the bindings in a bad fall when skinning uphill.
They're a little heavy for a pure AT setup, but they feel really solid. (I think they weigh ~80g more than the Dynafit Rotation?)
Skins: Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide
I like the glide! I haven't had that much trouble with the grip going uphill. The glue's sticky enough to stay on the ski, but releases well -- I can take the skins off without taking my ski off, and I can unpeel the skin without struggling.
The Pomoca skins also come with a great trimming tool, that handles the offset for you. Not a big deal, though -- ski stores will trim skins for a small fee.
Boots: Atomic Hawx XTD

I also demoed the Blizzard Sheeva 10s with the Marker Kingpin bindings, and the Blizzard Ascensionist skins. The setup was quite heavy, and I didn't like the bindings as much -- the brake occasionally deployed when skinning. :(
The glue on the BD skins was annoying -- it was really sticky. I also wanted a little more glide, since the route we took had a long approach.

Him: 5'8", 220 pounds
Skis: Black Crow Navis Freebird (102 underfoot), 169cm.
"best ski I've ever had"
Bindings: Dynafit Rotation 10
He has a bad knee, so he was also looking for elastic travel. He seems to like the bindings a lot!
Skins: Pomoca Climb 2.0 Skins
Boots: Fischer Free Ranger

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
HELLO!!! I'll be a Tahoe backcountry partner if you're looking for friends!

I took a Women's Intro to Backcountry Touring at Alpenglow Expeditions in January, and highly recommend the experience. I love learning environments with no men.
:race:
I would love to join forces too! Needing to do AIARE but after doing some dabbling, I'm addicted and beginning to build up my setup...

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@kiranbot and @angelaskis - I just ordered the Elan Ripstick 94s from SkiEssentials. I got the 154 (I'm 5'1", 155 cm) and they should arrive next Wednesday. I also have bindings and skins on order, so will need to get everything mounted the next time I head up to Tahoe, likely next weekend.

I have a tour scheduled for Fri, Mar 13. I reached out to a guide that I met and a friend and I are paying him to take us out - assuming there's enough snow. This will only be my second time out, so I'm still lacking confidence, skill, and endurance (I do go to the gym 4x a week, but cardio is my weakness - and doing it at altitude is even harder!). And it should be the first time on my setup - assuming everything arrives in the next week.

Again, provided there's enough snow, I have AIARE Avy Level 1 scheduled for the first weekend in April through ASI. I'd love to meet up sometime. @Pequenita and @Rainbow Jenny - you're both more experienced, but maybe we can all get together?

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
@laine Exciting!! Congrats on the new skis!

Just to set expectations -- I ski for the community, and for the joy of getting out. I'm not here to shred the most gnar lines, or to get the most vert in a day. Cardio is also my weakness.

I'm down to meet up some time mid-April!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd love to meet up sometime. @Pequenita and @Rainbow Jenny - you're both more experienced, but maybe we can all get together?

That would be awesome. I am a slow uphiller by Tahoe standards, or, as I was told to reframe, "I am a mellow tourer." @kiranbot and @angelaskis - do you have resort passes? If so, where? Maybe we should ski a few runs together inbounds before heading out into the b/c?

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
That would be awesome. I am a slow uphiller by Tahoe standards, or, as I was told to reframe, "I am a mellow tourer." @kiranbot and @angelaskis - do you have resort passes? If so, where? Maybe we should ski a few runs together inbounds before heading out into the b/c?

I do! Squaw or Alpine this year. Was going to head up this weekend too if you are around!

kiranbot

Certified Ski Diva
do you have resort passes? If so, where? Maybe we should ski a few runs together inbounds before heading out into the b/c?

ah yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to head straight to the bc. Mid-April, I'm down for a few inbounds runs some time, or just grabbing a beer! I'm traveling almost all of March, though.

@Pequenita @laine @angelaskis
This year, I have an Epic pass and a Squaw/Alpine 4-pack.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Talk to me about skinning inbounds at a ski mountain. Is it expected that your glide on manmade snow is way less.. glidey.. than on natural snow? I’ve only skinned once before and felt like I could really get a nice glide going (this was natural snow in the backcountry), but today I did it on a groomed ski mountain trail with brand new skins and felt like there was soooooo much more friction. Is this to be expected on more coarse manmade snow, is it technique, is it the grooming, is there anything to be done about it? I feel like I may remember hearing about waxes for skins in certain conditions? Being so new to this, I have no idea what I don’t know. Hence practicing inbounds! Oh and I was skinning with someone else who has different skins, but felt the same exact thing as I did in all regards since we had done our only previous skin together as well.

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really just want to whine. I finally got all my gear, and now we have a shelter-in-place order until April 7, so I can't use any of it. I did test my boots out at the resort where I demo'ed some touring skis last month, so at least I used those. I'm hoping Tahoe opens back up in mid-April and there's still enough snow to use my gear. :cry::cry::cry:
#firstworldproblems

I'm a deal shopper - never pay full price - so I actually had fun searching for sales and discounts once I picked out the stuff I wanted. The only thing I don't buy on sale is boots - I just buy what fits. Anyway, here's my updated gear list:

Boots: Dynafit Hoji PX
Skis: Elan Ripstick 94, size 156
Bindings: Hagen Pure 8 / ATK Crest 8 (sold under both names)
Skins: Black Diamond GlideLite Mix
Poles: Black Diamond Expedition 2
Pack: Osprey Kresta 30 XS/S - love that they make packs for short torsos
Puffies: Patagonia Nano Air / Patagonia Nano Puff / Arcteryx Cerium LT
Top layers/fleece: SmartWool Smartloft Hoodie / various fleece options
Top base: various SmartWool
Bottom base: various SmartWool / Patagonia capilene
Softshell: Mountain Hardware (5+ years old, don't remember the model) / Marmot biking wind jacket (6+ years old, don't remember model)
Hardshell: Outdoor Research (4+ years old, don't remember model) / Arcteryx Astryl hard shell / Haglofs Roc Spirit
Pants: Marmot Tour Pant (softshell) / Arcteryx Sentinel (hardshell) / Marmot Cheeky pants (hardshell with insulated, removable shorts)
Helmet: Pret
Goggles: Smith I/Os
Gloves: Various Hestra including Heli Glove, Heli Lobster/3-finger, Ergo Grip, Kobolt Czone (their work glove), and Dakine glove liners
Beacon: Mammut Barryvox
Shovel: Mammut Alugator Light - it's pink!
Probe: BD QuickDraw Probe Tour 280

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pack: Osprey Kresta 30 XS/S - love that they make packs for short torsos

I love mine. Which color did you get?

And OMG! You got the pink shovel! That's awesome!

Is it expected that your glide on manmade snow is way less.. glidey.. than on natural snow?

It might have more to do with the temperature of the snow and water content? Were you in more wintery conditions when you were in the backcountry vs. in the resort? I've skinned Mt. Sunapee when it was closed one spring, and it didn't really feel different to me from any other time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

laine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love mine. Which color did you get?

And OMG! You got the pink shovel! That's awesome!

Got the burgundy pack. Also got a small one for resort ski days (and hikes and other stuff). I appreciate the torso sizing. And yes, the pink shovel was on sale!

Oh, and I picked up a rubbery-textured dinner placemat at Daiso for $1.50 as a super cheap, thin pad for sitting for lunch.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It might have more to do with the temperature of the snow and water content? Were you in more wintery conditions when you were in the backcountry vs. in the resort? I've skinned Mt. Sunapee when it was closed one spring, and it didn't really feel different to me from any other time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The backcountry was more fresh loose winter snow, but the resort was groomed hardpack that had some ice crystals on top. I figure I’ll try a wax because it seems likely the next time I skin will be more full on spring conditions anyway since nothing is being groomed now. So will need to make really sure that softening will be happening with the freeze/thaws happening right now, or it could be really unpleasant all around.

Ohhhhh I don’t have a shovel yet, think I’m gonna grab the pink one on sale!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So adding these:

Jack Wolfskin Gravity Tour pants - https://www.moosejaw.com/product/jack-wolfskin-women-s-gravity-tour-pants_10389614 Come in different waist width / length. Used them XC and quick tours. Lots of nice features for a lighter pant. Cuff is zipper and tab closure which fits Tour boots when opened. Not going to want to fit a beacon in the pocket (would ruin the look) ;0 but a nice light pant w/ side zips, wind proof, kept me comfortable in varying conditions (with Ridge Merino Aspect leggings) https://www.ridgemerino.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna