• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Whats your set up? AT/ Backcountry

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a bit of a backcountry newb but here's my list...

Skis: Atomic Access (Century) 161 (love these!)
Boots: Dynafit Mercury (these seem popular!)
Bindings: Fritschi Vipec (can be fiddly to get into but I really like them)
Skins: G3 mo-mix
Poles: Leki Tourstick (mixed feelings about these... I wish the release button was somewhere other than the top of the handle because I'm always accidentally releasing them when I put my hands on top of the poles)
Pants: Patagonia hybrid soft/hard shell
Jacket: Lowe Alpine Gore-Tex
Puffys: Icebreaker insulated jacket or Mountain Hardwear down jacket
Body Layers: Helly Hansen cold gear
Gloves: I also use the Costco Head gloves for everything. I put Outdoor Research mittens over them for skiing.
Misc Face Layers: Generic buff that I probably got free somewhere!
Backpack: Osprey hiking pack, but I really want a Mammut Pro Short
Avalanche Beacon: Arva Neo
Shovel: BCA one with a snow saw in the handle (I keep meaning to try and make an igloo with this!)
Probe: BCA

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I have time here is what I ended up with -
Skis: Elan Ripstick W 94 163 seems to be a good mix for everything I encounter. I’m not a short turn radius fan, but these are fun skis. Not on m radar, but highly recommended, after demoing in every condition BC just pulled the trigger. Light. I also liked the Black Crow Camox (tour)but its not the same as my Camox Birdie, and well, a lot more $$. (BTW after riding over rocks on the Elans w/no damage, I was sold).
Boots: Scarpa Gea - had custom foot beds made, no heat molding, still breaking in but really like .... sometimes more than my alpine. Getting used to the softer flex compared to my alpine boot..... interesting not sure if I should have went w GS...
Bindings: Dynafit TLT Radical 2.0 FT - I went with the FT b/c I’m in and out of bounds at this point with these skis. Feels like a alpine binding without weight.
Skins: BD Ascension - oh I splurged for the G3 skin cutter best $7 spent. Lol. And despite someone telling me it would take long time to cut my own skins, I didnt’ think it was that bad, did it all by myself.
Poles: K2 Carbon 130 Lockjaw - I have K2 poles for alpine, they have tiny grips. I was kind of bummed when I got these b/c the grip is fatter but I needed them asap so kept them. So love / hate relationship right now but I’ve been enjoying adjustability. Like the extended grip.
Pants: Flylow Nina I love these pants. Really.
Jacket: Patagonia Houdini for up / wind
Puffys: Marmot - one hooded one not. Also vest, Uniqlo (yes, a non ski brand)
Body Layers: Uniqlo Heattech. Cheapest under layer you can buy. Burton long neck if cold - DD got a lot of promo gear from burton lol
Gloves: Mitts - Free the Powder. Gloves North Face Apex Etip. can’t believe how fast they dry. Also have similar REI Glove 1/2 the price.
Misc Face Layers: A bandana buff, and a real cotton bandana (old school)
Backpack: ARVA Rescuer 30L. This is last years version? I love it. Tons of pockets and features on sale at BC. No “frame” couldnt’ stand the Osprey. 1230g.
Avalanche Beacon: Pieps PRO. Easy.
Shovel: Voile Telepro M - I’m tiny. used other people shovels decided I was better off w/smaller shovel. I do marvel at the saw in handle options, but stuck w/ basic.
Probe: Black Diamond QuickDraw Carbon 320

Since I am only touring under 5-6 hours, this is really a slack/ side/ local tour set up. I’m not sure how this will progress, I just like the freedom the set up offers.... and the feeling of being able to go up and down where and when I want.

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question where do you all set your DIN on your AT bindings — similar to Alpine or ?

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmmm what if your a 22? The radicals only go up to 12?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd double check your alpine DINs. Commercial bindings tend to max out at 16, with a few 18 & 20 DIN bindings for the rare giants racing in the Olympics or on the Red Bull sponsored team. I'd pop your stats into a calculator like the one linked below for an idea, but I'd also take them to a shop to mount/test. For someone well sized on a 163 ski, I'd spitball that somewhere between 4 and 7 would suffice.

https://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/equipment/bindings/din-calculator.html

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Analisa that was more of a what “if” question. :wink: and there certainly are more factors to setting DIN than just using a calculator.

It seems the newer bindings “could” be more realtable to ones Alpine DIN.

According to “Evo” ........ ‘Keep in mind that tech binding release values appear to use the same ISO (International Standards Organization) and DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung, a German standards organization) scale as alpine bindings, but are not ISO/DIN certified like alpine bindings - the elasticity of tech bindings and the force required to cause a release, won’t necessarily be the same as an alpine binding set at the same number. As of October 2015, a limited number of tech bindings are certified to the ISO/DIN 13992 standard used for frame AT bindings. These include the Dynafit Beast 14, Beast 16, Radical 2.0 ST and FT, Fritschi Diamir Vipec "Black" and Marker Kingpin 10 and 13’

While I’m not relying on EVO as my ultimate resource, I was just trying to get a read on what others are using for DIN compared to Alpine, assuming they have a more current binding that has some additional features as noted above.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh! Got it got - definitely had taken that super literally. So the ISO certification is just the consistency of the release value, so setting your DINs the same will generally require the same amount of release force, but might not test consistently. The first time I mounted my Dynafit STs, they tested within the ISO standards. The second mount, they failed for lateral release, but REI's ski shop wasn't legally able to confirm whether it pre-released or late released. They were just like "if you're happy with how they're skiing, you can still ski them." I ended up finding a few YouTube tests to make sure they weren't absolutely janked. I thought about bumping them down a notch until I realized that they're already pretty much at the lowest setting (I think a 4 or 4.5).

My alpine bindings are also pretty low (5), and I'm not sure if the shops just give a little buffer for tech bindings since they aren't as consistent or if I've tipped the scales a bit to fall into the higher setting.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also late to the party...

Skis: Nordica Santa Ana (pre-metal)
Boots: Fischer Transalp Vacuum W TS Lite
Bindings: G3 Ion 12
Skins: Black Diamond Glidelite
Poles: Black Diamond Traverse or Alpine Carbon Cork
Pants: old Norrona gore-tex softshell pants...kind of need replacing...
Jacket: Outdoor Research Aspire
Puffys: My medium puffy is a Rab Electron.
Body Layers: Mostly icebreaker, highly variable with temperature
Gloves: Variable. I have some OR ones, some MEC ones. I usually put my MEC Valhalla mitts on over top for the descent, though I also have my old Hestra Heli Mitts and some big Eddie Bauer down mitt & shell combo ones.
Misc Face Layers: A Hoo-rag buff, usually in my pack, not on my face
Backpack: Either Gregory Targhee 45 (day trip) or Marmot Diva 45 (SAR/overnight)
Avalanche Beacon: Barryvox Pulse
Shovel: old BCA Traverse
Probe: old BCA, 270 cm
Saw: Black Diamond FlickLock Snow Saw

slyfox4

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in the Dynafit Mercury too (they're most similar to the unisex Vulcan currently and the Hoji coming out). I have a 97mm last that's low volume, so even though the last on the Mercuries is wider (~103), they're really adjustable. The clip ladder can be moved back and I use a high volume footbed, and I'm tempted to put an MNC binding on my inbound setup so I can wear them all the time. I use an inbound version of the Langes that @PowderNomad mentioned, but I didn't like the cuff rotation was smaller (basically limits your range of motion for skinning). I've had my eye on the Dalbello Lupos since I think they nail the right balance between stiff/light in the men's version.

For skis, I'm on a pair of Line Pandora 95s. They're light enough to compete with ultra-light carbon skis, but ski like a true downhill ski. They work for inbound days and they've worked for multi-day ski tours with a 4500ft carry to get to snow. They ski fine. For inbounds, I'm looking for something dedicated and with more oomf & stability (Ironically enough, currently eyeing an older pair of Sambas). A lot of strong skier friends have gotten something from the Trace line, Black Crows, Head Kore, Atomic Backlands & Dynafit Beasts. If I were shopping today, the Kore 105s would be right up my alley.

Bindings - I'm assuming you're going tech by what you're demoing. None are perfect and have different weaknesses. Kingpins stand out for downhill. Fritschi Vipecs stand out for safety (their front prongs operate independently and they have the best elastic travel, so you'll get a more consistent release & better lateral release). Fritschi are just tough to get into. G3 Ions are cheap. Dynafit Radical 2s (now releasing as the Rotation) are kind of a best all around/master of none. I've been skiing the ST2s on every ski since I moved out west after college.

As for packs, I use the Deuter Freerider 28 for day trips (and I like it so much I wear it for summer hiking). The multiple entry points are perfect for being able to get into the bag when you're carrying A-frame. It's also super durable and looks way less worn than any of my other bags, despite getting much more use. It's the only option I could find that was short enough (I bought it pre-Osprey Kresta). For multi-day tours, I use a Millet Ubic 50+10, which has adjustable height and the pack straps are narrow.

I am sending my Pandora's back for a delam issue, but have been wondering if I could ever use them for small back country excursions in New Hampshire. I'm glad to see that someone does use them. Any specific recommendations for bindings?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any specific recommendations for bindings?

Depends a bit on how far you're taking them. Kingpins, Vipecs, and Dynafit ST/FT 2s (which are becoming the Dynafit Rotation line starting next year) are great places to start. Kingpins have arguably the best downhill performance, Vipecs are the safest (toe prongs work independently and has the highest amount of elastic travel of all tech bindings) but are hell to get in and out of, Dynas are a little lighter & more user friendly to get on and off. None are as safe as an inbound binding, so if you plan on skiing them hard inbounds, I'd consider a frame binding or quiver killers so you can swap out bindings. Maybe the Salomon Shift (but I'm really wary about getting a freshly designed binding right off the bat - many tech bindings have had issues show up in their first release wave that they didn't catch in limited pre-market testing).

If you're going ultra-light, I've heard good things about the Salomon MTN Lab.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am kinda late to this but I have only just joined the forum. I tour mostly in Scotland (which has lots of wonderful terrain but very limited lift infrastructure).

Skis: Blizzard BP 166 (2016) - powder here is limited and conditions are mixed so this works better for me than something with more width underfoot
Boots: Scarpa Diva (heavily modified)
Bindings: Marker F10 Tour - currently on a frame binding as I also use these skis front-side but thinking of moving to Tectons when they are a bit more mature
Skins: Black Diamond Glidelite
Poles: Black Diamond Trail (these are actually trekking poles but they do the job for now!)
Clothes: Assorted - I am also a keen ice climber and winter mountaineer so I have a heap of clothes and just wear whatever is clean/comes to hand/is appropriate to weather
Backpack: Black Diamond Dawn Patrol 32
Avalanche Beacon: Pieps DSP Sport
Shovel: Black Diamond Transfer 3
Probe: Black Diamon Quickdraw Tour 190 (could do with buying a longer one

Last edited:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MrsPlow I have the Black Diamond Ascension STS skins which I have used for the past 4 months in varying conditions and they seem to work well, but as I'm new to skinning I only have a few limited days on other skins on rental skis to compare. The majority of people I tour with also have the BD Ascensions.

I will say Black Diamond has the best customer service - a quick phone call and extra parts arrived 2 days later - no charge !!!

I do like the G3 skin cutter as noted above beset $7 spent, no need to cut and re position, as it has a spacer next to the cutter that aligns with the ski edge.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Is anyone planning on buying the new Salomon Shift binding? I am so curious to know what people think! Not this upcoming season for me (gotta progress more!), but maybe next?

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MrsPlow I have the Black Diamond Ascension STS skins which I have used for the past 4 months in varying conditions and they seem to work well, but as I'm new to skinning I only have a few limited days on other skins on rental skis to compare. The majority of people I tour with also have the BD Ascensions.

I will say Black Diamond has the best customer service - a quick phone call and extra parts arrived 2 days later - no charge !!!

I do like the G3 skin cutter as noted above beset $7 spent, no need to cut and re position, as it has a spacer next to the cutter that aligns with the ski edge.

Thanks @WaterGirl, will look into the BD skins. Good tip about the skin cutter as well.

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just in time for the summer sales - does anyone have any recommendations for skins to buy/avoid?
I also have BD skins, although I have the Glidelight rather than the Ascensionist. These are mohair rather than nylon - I like them but I have never used nylon skins so I can't make a direct comparison.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Is anyone planning on buying the new Salomon Shift binding? I am so curious to know what people think! Not this upcoming season for me (gotta progress more!), but maybe next?

i've got the shift binding on the 2018-19 93 nordica santa ana's. i'm really looking forward to skiing with them and touring with them. there is snow at Killington already i'm sure we will start getting snow at Hunter, NY next month sometime and i will get to test it then and come back here and review it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna