• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's your favorite outdoor activity in the summer?

newboots

Angel Diva
My face gets really red with exertion, too.

I'm very self-conscious, so I (try to) force myself to change those disapproving/denigrating imaginary voices to say positive things. "Wow, she's really trying, working really hard at that!"
"She's faster than when she started!"
"Amazing for a woman at her age!" (that one's a bit of a backhanded compliment, though)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you looked at G-Form shin protectors?

I wear G-Form knee pads for trail riding (fell and banged my patella on a rock one day and decided to always wear knee pads). I'll try out the shin guards, for sure. It's been a little uncomfortable trying to flex into my ski boot with a big ol' injury on my shin.

For cold-weather sleeping, a couple of things can help if you haven't already tried them. (Just offering b/c I used to run an outing club for teenagers, and we dealt with a lot of cold intolerance.)

1. Before you go to bed when camping on a cold night, move around a lot, jog in place, skip, dance, etc. so as to raise your body temp.

2. Those chemical hand-warmers, toe warmers, etc. are great for helping to keep your sleeping bag warm. Put on one under each armpit, two down by your feet, and a couple more in the middle.

3. Visit the restroom prior to going to bed.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear G-Form knee pads for trail riding (fell and banged my patella on a rock one day and decided to always wear knee pads). I'll try out the shin guards, for sure. It's been a little uncomfortable trying to flex into my ski boot with a big ol' injury on my shin.

For cold-weather sleeping, a couple of things can help if you haven't already tried them. (Just offering b/c I used to run an outing club for teenagers, and we dealt with a lot of cold intolerance.)

1. Before you go to bed when camping on a cold night, move around a lot, jog in place, skip, dance, etc. so as to raise your body temp.

2. Those chemical hand-warmers, toe warmers, etc. are great for helping to keep your sleeping bag warm. Put on one under each armpit, two down by your feet, and a couple more in the middle.

3. Visit the restroom prior to going to bed.

They make a combo knee/shin one, too. Too small for me, I'm sure, but maybe they'll work for you.

Thanks for the tips!

Moving a lot -> then I just sweat and freeze more.
Visit restroom before going to bed -> I do this, but it doesn't help. My body just wants to get up and pee in the middle of the night =/
Chemical hand warmers are one that I want to try, but I haven't been camping since I've started using them.

I'm a light sleeper in general; camping just "enhances" the experience.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I actually use one all the time - even at home. I'm just super sensitive to light,
I have an eye mask on my bedside table, in my travel toiletries bag, in my purse.... It's a life saver when traveling or even at home if I wake up in the middle of the night. I have custom woven shades with black out moveable liners in my bedroom.
Not to hijack this thread, but what kind of eye masks does everyone use? All of mine are freebies from trans atlantic trips......

Jenny

Angel Diva
I remember one camping trip where I spent the entire night trying to crawl under my husband to get some warmth! Of course, that kept me closer to the ground - I probably should have been trying to balance on top of him and pulled all our clothes onto me for added coverage.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I remember one camping trip where I spent the entire night trying to crawl under my husband to get some warmth! Of course, that kept me closer to the ground - I probably should have been trying to balance on top of him and pulled all our clothes onto me for added coverage.

My husband pushes me away in the tent because I'm "too warm"!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Moving a lot -> then I just sweat and freeze more.

Definitely don't move so much that you sweat. Just a little jig or some jumping jacks would do it; you just want your body warm when you get into your bag. I'm a Sweaty Betty myself, so I know what you mean. Backpacking, I give myself a little "dirtbag shower" before bed-time with some baby wipes and a splash of water to the face. It helps me sleep a lot more comfortably and prevents chills.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to hijack this thread, but what kind of eye masks does everyone use? All of mine are freebies from trans atlantic trips......

I have a favorite I keep ordering from Amazon as I wear them out. It has "eye capsules" so that there isn't direct pressure on my lids. Sort of like a molded bra! Unfortunately, they come with ear plugs that I have to throw out - I haven't found them solo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCI4YU/

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
* When I say I am okay down into the 20s I should also say that that is contingent on my Iowan husband getting up first and bringing me breakfast and coffee in my sleeping bag, then me and the dog both refusing to get out of the sleeping bag until the sun hits the tent.

14409399_10210287202322638_6516890566581808344_o.jpg
Smart Dog!!!!

Actually I'm a swimmer first and foremost, though I do light road biking whenever it's not ski season. And I'll jump on any opportunity to be on water-canoeing, kayaking, any kind of watercraft!

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with all the women that listed the water activities.

I love to snorkel, kayak, paddleboard. Love the sunshine and ocean and the summer travel that ideally accompanies all of it.

I love the idea of being a biker, but my biking endurance is awful, even though I exercise HIIT type workouts 3-4 days a week. My goal this year is to improve my comfort and endurance on my mountain bike.

kiki

Angel Diva
I love to golf

It's very social but you can also do it on your own. Its outdoors. You can challenge yourself and progress is quantifiable. I always see wildlife--deer, bunnies, birds, snakes, coyotes bears....
I love the feeling of impact when i hit the ball just right

NMSkierNowInNH

Diva in Training
This may or may not be for an upcoming blog post, but I'm wondering: what's the Divas' favorite way to stay active outdoors in the summer? And why?

For me, it's road biking. It's a great workout, and it's fun to get out on the roads and see the beautiful landscape here in Vermont, though there's some great biking in New Hampshire and Maine, too. Last summer we did also some biking on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, which was great because it was flat, flat, flat -- something we don't have too much around here.

Here I am with my DH, riding in Maine last summer.

View attachment 7274
Is that pic taken at Nubbles Light in ME.?? I love road biking as well! I custom built and assembled my own road bike... As in purchased every single piece & component on it piece by piece but it came out really nice and light! It is 16.2 lbs ready to ride! It's a 50" semi-compact Aluminum frame from Performance Bike but EVERYTHING else is a piece by piece purchase as stated! It has a full carbon Bontrager fork (custom painted to match frame). It has some Pinarello components (seat, carbon seatpost, handlebars). It's an EXO (hollow) bottom bracket with Sram Force 50/34 dbl 170mm front crank, Shimano Dura-Ace front & rear derailleurs, Shimano Dura-Ace 11-28 10 ring rear cassette, Shimano Dura-Ace Double/Ten shifter/brake combo, Shimano Ultegra caliper brakes, 260 gram Xpēdo MTB pedals, & Shimano RS20 clincher rims. It's fast & I love that bike! It's the red one in this pic. Those are my other bikes...

Attachments

• Obsession(1).JPG
    Obsession(1).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 3

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mountain biking or hiking in the AM and SUP coolndown in the PM. Backpack and also do some SUP packing to islands and lake shores without trails. Dog walking and house keeping my rental keep me active as well.

I miss climbing but my neck won't tolerate it any more.

Does kneading clay for ceramics count as being active?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly