• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's on your Skiing Bucket List?

altagirl

Staff member
A friend recently suggested non-lift served night skiing (i.e. via moonlight or headlamps). That's now on my to-do list.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My list is short:
1.Go back to Europe and actually ski the places I've been for bobsled/skeleton races. I've been to St. Moritz, Igls, through the Dolomites in Italy, and Kitzbuehl (a drive-through on the way to a track). But, never got to ski. The Dolomites looked absolutely amazing.
2. Ski Portillo, Chile. I've wanted to go there ever since I was a teenager. I know someone skiing there right now - I'm so jealous.

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
*Ski more of the Eastern mountains (VT/NH/ME) since most are within a 6 hour drive
*Ski more out West! My realistic goal is two-three Colorado trips and a Lake Tahoe trip.

Places (in no particular order): Norway, Jackson Hole, Taos, Telluride, Whistler, Tahoe, BC backcountry (cat skiing)

Skills: I would like to be as comfortable skiing switch as skiing forward, learn a few tricks (grabs, landing 180), get comfy in the super pipe, be competent in the bumps, and be relaxed and fluid in powder

People: More apres ski time with family and good friends :love:

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
Powder Cat skiing
Take 3 months off work to ski out west (unrealistic, but I'd love to do it)

This sounds FABULOUS! A few extra months of vacation each year would help accomplish this goal for me ;-)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
  • figure out the backcountry thing
  • hut to hut trip someplace
  • ski down Mt. Moosilauke, probably the carriage road
  • ski the headwall at Tuck's. And have enough energy to do more than one run.
  • ski Jackson Hole, Big Sky, and Whistler
  • ski Yellowstone National Park
  • x-country ski on the National Mall and do a loop from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial. I might get tired of breaking trail halfway through, though. We're due for a nor'easter!
  • still be skiing when I'm whatever age the resorts start letting you ski for free

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Just realized I never answered my own question! How 'bout that!

• I'd like to do a New England Ski Safari. Hit all the areas in VT, NH, and Maine. This is actually pretty do-able. I think it'd be fun.

I'd join you at Quechee one Sunday next March (or late Feb)? It's a small hill, but has a high speed quad, no line, cheap ticket and ways to mix up your decent. I usually go there Sunday afternoons after church...

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
As for me, I'd like to ski all the Salt Lake city ski areas, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek and return to Telluride (my all-time favorite).

(I had a front row spont at the Olympic downhill in Salt Lake City and met Bode Miller there, too-very personable....)

And I'd like to work a winter at Okemo as a mountain host (less likely now that my dad had to sell the nearby Perkinsville property)...

And I'd like to get comfortable on medium moguls, average conditions...I really "freeze up" too easily... sigh...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yes!! I've been pulling for a 1 or 2 week New England ski area roadtrip for years and none of my friends are into it. "If we take a week off, we're going out west." I think it's an awesome idea, though it would be nice if you could plan your departure day kind of last minute to get the best weather.

Ask those of us who are already here, glad to advise!

Doing a regional circuit really would be fun. In NH, I would go Cannon/Loon/Bretton Woods/Attitash/Wildcat (probably in that order). Heading east to Maine, Sunday River/Saddleback/Sugarloaf - and these are just the major resorts - both NH and ME have some smaller gems tucked between the major ones.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend recently suggested non-lift served night skiing (i.e. via moonlight or headlamps). That's now on my to-do list.
I'd like to add that to my bucket list. I saw a night ski Trip Report on EpicSki last year. It was inspiring!

I'd love to ski the Steamboat Powder Cats and do Corbets.
I'd also like to spend a year completely in Winter.
Here then the southern Hemisphere. THAT would be cool!

* My list is subject to change.:eyebrows:

While I'm at it, Tucks! Gotta do Tucks!!!:dance:

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
heliskiing
the haute route
ski japan, new zealand, south america and more places in North America
Lyngen Lodge in Norway

And just ski a lot more than I do now...

altagirl

Staff member
So honestly - this has been my problem with skiing in the last year or so. I have no goals. Well, other than not getting hurt - but you know how it's easiest to avoid getting hurt skiing? You stay home. I mean, I achieved that goal last year, which is nice, but I didn't ski much either, so that's a pretty pointless skiing goal.

The problem is, I haven't been able to think of ANYTHING that I want to do on skis that I haven't done. Don't get me wrong, heli skiing sounds fabulous, but I really don't want to spend the money. And while there are destinations that sound wonderful, I'd rather spend my vacation time and budget on biking trips.

And I can't think of any skills related things that I want to do. I don't really have any interest in skiing switch or doing anything new in the park or hucking off of anything bigger than I've done before. As much as I'd love to do more touring, I really don't want to put my friends or myself in the situation again we were in when my knee locked up again and we had to get me out of the middle of nowhere on one leg.

To be honest, it's really made me lose my passion for skiing, because the activities where I DO have current, achievable, challenging goals become WAY more interesting to me.

But I was talking about it with a friend this morning and I sort of came up with a crazy idea. I'm going to try and ski and stay completely in the present when I'm skiing. Not work on any skills whatsoever, for the entire season. Not worry about what anyone thinks of what I'm doing, what I'm skiing, what I'm skiing on, or how I'm doing it. Part of it is just a mental challenge because it's so 100% opposite of my nature. And the other part is just an experiment to see what it makes me think of skiing, removed from skills improvement, social pressure, etc.

So that is my one and only goal on the bucket list. On the surface it seems like it's a goal to not have goals, but in reality, I think it's probably the hardest goal I've ever set for myself.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AG - your friend's advice is exactly what I was going to tell you. This year, try just skiing for the sheer joy of it. No pressures, no need to improve on anything, no need to keep up with anyone, no need to keep track of how many runs you've done. While there's nothing wrong with always having a goal to work toward, sometimes you just have to forget everything and just do an activity because you want to.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I want to ski over 100 days this season (my highest was 117 several years ago) but I'll be happy with 101. :thumbsup:

Ski as much powder as possible and really get comfortable in it. :clap:

Don't reinjure the knee again (or injure any other body parts)!!! :dance:

Oh, and be healthy enough to go to South America again next summer. :cool:

AG, what a great goal. Like meditating on snow. The more we are in the present with EVERYTHING, the more we follow natural rhythms. I'm going to copycat that goal and put it tops on my list too.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know, I took that approach last year with my skiing since I was in school - I didn't know how much time I would have to ski so I didn't want to set myself any goals. I skied purely for fun, and it was one of the best years I remember.

I didn't feel guilty about not skiing when conditions weren't good (or when I just wanted to sleep in), and I skied and toured at my own pace. But I not only slowed down when I felt like it, I ripped on the days I wanted to rip as well. Taking that approach really made me fall in love with skiing again to a deeper level than before. It puts it all into perspective. I was happier on the days that I did ski, and I enjoyed my time with friends even more, because I wasn't putting any pressure on myself.

AG - I think now that you have speed skating, taking a relaxed approach to skiing shouldn't be too hard. I know you - and I know you need something to drive you competitively - and that's what skating is for. Ski on the powder days that are worth it, those days that you dream about in the summer, and forget the crappy tracked out days. Forget about counting days, how fast you hike and ski, what chair you were on, how big your skis are, and all that crap. I think you have been much more honest with yourself the last few years when it comes to your knees, etc, and this could be an excellent chance for you to figure out what it is about skiing that you still love (or don't love anymore).

whitewater girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- learn tele
- get out skiing on some "new" hills
- get out west to ski

kinda modest & non-specific at the moment, but hey...

Ski-dreamer_Diva

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span><br
Powder Cat skiing
Take 3 months off work to ski out west (unrealistic, but I'd love to do it)

I'd love to find a way to support myself so I didn't have to work and could follow the snow all round the world...mmm ...big dreams

A little more realistic:

• more time each year on skis
  • improve my ability in all conditions so I can try heli and cat skiing
  • make it to Diva Week/Clinic and ski with these wonderful ladies and share their wealth of knowledge
  • host the first Southern Hemisphere Diva Week for the Southerners and N Hemi's would come to visit us!! (might need to be in South America or New Zealand,as Australia is so unreliable)
  • work in a ski resort for a season (or rest of my life)

(I reserve the right to add to this dream list):wink:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I, too, like AG's goals! :thumbsup:

Mine aren't too far off --- just want to get out there and enjoy it, come what may.

Wait, I guess I do have a goal, but pertains to the partner - :wink: his having successfully survived "The Surgery" and rehab, he has a sizable mental hurdle to scale. I want to be right there cheering him on as he scales it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna