• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's on your Skiing Bucket List?

altagirl

Staff member
You know, I took that approach last year with my skiing since I was in school - I didn't know how much time I would have to ski so I didn't want to set myself any goals. I skied purely for fun, and it was one of the best years I remember.

I didn't feel guilty about not skiing when conditions weren't good (or when I just wanted to sleep in), and I skied and toured at my own pace. But I not only slowed down when I felt like it, I ripped on the days I wanted to rip as well. Taking that approach really made me fall in love with skiing again to a deeper level than before. It puts it all into perspective. I was happier on the days that I did ski, and I enjoyed my time with friends even more, because I wasn't putting any pressure on myself.

AG - I think now that you have speed skating, taking a relaxed approach to skiing shouldn't be too hard. I know you - and I know you need something to drive you competitively - and that's what skating is for. Ski on the powder days that are worth it, those days that you dream about in the summer, and forget the crappy tracked out days. Forget about counting days, how fast you hike and ski, what chair you were on, how big your skis are, and all that crap. I think you have been much more honest with yourself the last few years when it comes to your knees, etc, and this could be an excellent chance for you to figure out what it is about skiing that you still love (or don't love anymore).

Yeah - unfortunately, last year wasn't a good ski season for me overall. I felt really stressed, with a long list of things in my head that I SHOULD be doing, or doing better, or... whatever. So even though I had another outlet for the competitive side of my nature, where I could push and improve steadily... I had a really hard time letting go of that with skiing. One of those easier said than done things, I suppose. And I think last year I was still struggling with trying to find some sort of realistic goal with skiing and that just wasn't working. But I think I have a lot more awareness of it at this point, so hopefully this year will be better. :smile:

JoySki

Certified Ski Diva
I'd love to find a way to support myself so I didn't have to work and could follow the snow all round the world...mmm ...big dreams

A little more realistic:

• more time each year on skis
  • improve my ability in all conditions so I can try heli and cat skiing
  • make it to Diva Week/Clinic and ski with these wonderful ladies and share their wealth of knowledge
  • host the first Southern Hemisphere Diva Week for the Southerners and N Hemi's would come to visit us!! (might need to be in South America or New Zealand,as Australia is so unreliable)
  • work in a ski resort for a season (or rest of my life)

(I reserve the right to add to this dream list):wink:

I'm liking the sound of this list :D

My lifetime bucket list:
-Take some halfpipe and general freestyle lessons
-Master the moguls, because I do love them (a lot of work to do there..!)
-Ski in Austria :drool:
-Jump a (not too extreme) cliff..and survive.
-Own an apartment in the snow someday
-In general, I just really want to make skiing a much more regular part of my life! I don't hail from a "skiing family" so the onus is on me to really make it happen.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So that is my one and only goal on the bucket list. On the surface it seems like it's a goal to not have goals, but in reality, I think it's probably the hardest goal I've ever set for myself.

I can relate, but I like what tradygirl and others have said.

It is difficult, to adjust your approach to skiing, for whatever reasons.

I had to do this as I got older, as I just could not do the things I took for granted in younger years and even fell away from skiing for awhile as I directed energies to career and kids---as I was frustrated. There was some weird gap between what I 'wanted' my ideal ski experience to be and what it was turning out to be in reality.

But once I reframed my 'ski life' and rebooted my thinking, I now feel a certain freedom I never had before and at times (usually a powder day for some reason), ski better than ever (for short spells anyway) and if I have a day that sucks, that's OK too, cuz I'm on the mountain and doing what I love on my terms.

My goal is to ski well and long----like those 80 somethings up on the mountain enjoying the hell out of every day.

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[*]host the first Southern Hemisphere Diva Week for the Southerners and N Hemi's would come to visit us!! (might need to be in South America or New Zealand,as Australia is so unreliable)

I'm up for your Southern Hemisphere Diva Week Ski-dreamer_Diva!

My list:
Ski very continent at least once... yes fellow Divas, there are ski resorts in Africa!

This list does not restrict the number of times I'd visit these continents or the number of days I'd spend skiing:thumbsup:

abc

Banned
I haven't post on this thread because I'm not exactly sure where's the line between "dream" and "delayed goal" lies. Much of the latter is only limited by free time. Therefore a balance amoungst these "goals" themselves. I guess achieving all of the "goals" will be my skiing dream then. :smile:

My "goals": A lot are travel related. I'm a "tourist" by heart, on ski, on bike, on kayak...

- See more of the ski world, particularly Euope. I haven't done Italy yet (Dolomite!). And there're a lot of Switzerland (Zermatt, Verbier)and France (Chamonix!) I haven't been yet. Wouldn't mind go back to several of where I have been too...

- See some of the lesser seen N America. A lot of Canada I haven't seen (Whistler, Jasper) enough of (Banff). And Southwest (Taos, Telleride, Crested Butt). Some of them I've been before but would love to re-visit.

- South America looks stunning. But that interferes with cycling so much I don't know how I'll ever be able to make a decision at all. (I REALLY want to go though)

- New Zealand!!! (again, same problem as S.A)

- A trip to Japan, just for the heck of it.

- And Russia, if ever that becomes feasible.

Included in above are also good back country routes I'd love to hit.

All of the above is not limited to downhill skiing. I would travel with my x-c ski and visit as many x-c destination as time allowes. Plus a lot of x-c only destination I would go without bringing my downhill skis (Yellowstone, Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, Finland, Norway etc)

That's the "to see (visit)" front. On the "do" front, just one: Learn to tele!

Of course, if I achiever that last one, the "to visit" list will have to be re-do all over again, with tele gear and head off into the back country...

That's a hell of a long list. But really, all I want is just ski more. :smile:

JoySki

Certified Ski Diva
I'm up for your Southern Hemisphere Diva Week Ski-dreamer_Diva!

My list:
Ski very continent at least once... yes fellow Divas, there are ski resorts in Africa!

This list does not restrict the number of times I'd visit these continents or the number of days I'd spend skiing:thumbsup:

In Africa! I never even knew that was possible..sounds exciting! Which countries do these resorts exist in?

Nadine, seeing as you're an Aussie diva, feel free to join our Social Group on here! Glad to see another "Melbournite" on here :smile:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

Nadine_A

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks JoySki, I've asked to join the Aussie group, just need someone to approve me. It would be awesome to meet on the hill, although since my season is officially over it'll have to be next year.:Cry:

As for Africa, there certainly are skiing. Not very big or well known, but they are around.

Resorts:
2 in Algeria
3 in Morocco
1 in Lesotho and
1 in South Africa

My family is from South Africa so I planning to kill two birds with one stone.

Jerez

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. take avalanche course
2. go in the back country
3. Silverton
4. Cat skiing
5. S. America in summer
6.at least one season as ski bum or working at a mountain
7. take lessons in park/pipe so air in the off piste isn't so intimadating
8. get some race training to learn how to dial it in on the ice
9. steep and deep camp or X-team or something comparable
10. mogul camp - either mogul logic or one of the summer ones in whistler or Hood
11. hut to hut. saw a film by some amateur doing the Haute Route in Europe and it looked like a totally wonderful adventure. not just a skiing adventure, but a wilderness and cultural adventure too.

to do all this before it's too late. I'm already getting a bit too old for a lot of it!

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm amazed at how many things I've never thought I'd do but now do on a regular basis since I moved to CO. Heck, just the thought of back country skiing scared the heck out of me, now it's something I do all the time. I feel so fortunate to have been able to make this move and to be able to live some of my dreams.

Still on my list though, are heli-skiing in BC, the Haute Route and skiing at Silverton. I also recently heard about a ski trip to Antartica where you stay on a cruise ship and ski off of it...now that sounds fabulous!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I retire ... pack day-to-day essentials in my car and drive west, rent a 1-br place for the season, and enjoy the best of skiing wherever it happens to be in the west.

When I return ... buy a moderate home in the northeast and enjoy the best of skiing there for a few years.

[Plan subject to change, depending on ski conditions!]

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched The Thin Line (which wasn't that great overall) and it inspired me to add to my list:

1) Corbett's - not sure how realistic that is
2) Heliskiing in Alaska
3) Some kind of ski touring in Europe, and guided skiing in Chamonix or La Grave or somewhere like that
4) Skiing in South America

5) Watch a downhill race in Kitzbuhel

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
- Ski as much as possible
- Visit some small italian resorts in the appenin-mountain range

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump: While we're jonesing for skiing, I thought I might as well bump this up for our older members to revise and our newer ones to add their own thoughts.

So if you haven't contributed, what's on your ski bucket list? And if you have, how's your bucket list going?

Here's mine that I posted in 2009 and how it's gone so far:

Then:
• Ski Europe. Anywhere. I don't know enough about it, so I'd have to do some investigating, but someplace wonderful. I don't think that'd be too hard to find.
Now: Still haven't done this. And I'd still like to.

Then:
• In the west: I want to ski Jackson Hole, Big Sky, the Canadian Rockies (there are others, too, but these are the top contenders)
Now: I've been to Big Sky three or four times.

Then:
• Powder Cat skiing! Don't think I could take heli-skiing. I have a thing about helicopters. So this will have to do.
Now: I've done it twice, and it was a blast!

Then:
• I want to get really good at the bumps, though this may be a longshot (knees, you know :rolleyes:).
Now: I'm getting better, though it's still a work in progress.

Then:
• I'd like to do a New England Ski Safari. Hit all the areas in VT, NH, and Maine. This is actually pretty do-able. I think it'd be fun.
Now: DONE! And so much fun. I'd love to do it again, though.

Last edited:

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I saw this 9 years ago, I was still a rookie and wouldn't have dared post an answer. Today, however:

*Meet and/or ski with Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin, or Picabo Street (they hang out in UT don't they?)
*Ski somewhere in Europe
*Ski Colorado (this is possible this year with IKON Pass)
*Ski Whistler (also possible, even likely - have a colleague in Vancouver BC)
*Do an inn-to-inn XC tour in Vermont

And the Big Daddy on the bucket list:
*Spend a week around the holidays skiing Sun Valley, if they have enough snow. That place looks magical at Christmas! Invite my very best friend and her family too since they have good friends who live there. Christmas party!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If I saw this 9 years ago, I was still a rookie and wouldn't have dared post an answer. Today, however:

*Meet and/or ski with Lindsey Vonn, Mikaela Shiffrin, or Picabo Street (they hang out in UT don't they?)

I actually skied with Picabo Street a few years ago! She was here in Vermont for an event at Killington, and I was lucky enough to ski a few runs with her.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ski places I haven't been - Jackson Hole, Austria, New Zealand.

Get my level 3 CSIA! (working on it, working on it.)
Come to Jackson now not later, you won't regret it! Don't give up on the level 3. I am training, training, training to get the invite to tryout for Devo team for my region (aka DECL). None that I know of make the cut at my age, but I refuse to give up for another ten years.

My own list:
-Ski in Japan - It's happening for my 50th this winter!!!
-Ski at Retallack in BC. Cat skiing in fun terrain in Canada. Love Canada, never been in winter.
-Ski under the midnight sun at Riksgransen in my native Sweden. Have only nordic skied in the south -where the family is from.
-Ski and pig out in Italy.
-Return to Iran and ski there once more as I did as a child.
-Keep training for DECL tryouts. First have to make the cut at my own hill.
-Take more days of to free ski and not teach, especially with the DH.
-Keep improving my lessons and keep focusing on the fun.
-Ski until I take my last breath or at least a week or so from it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna