• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's cooking? Recipe to Share?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In another thread @dloveski brought up bread making. I've been cooking far more than usual. May actually perfect a few recipes because I'm making them more often.

What are you cooking? Got a recipe or tip to share?

I got a cast iron pan last summer. Never knew the secret of "seasoning" cast iron before to make it non-stick. It's become one of my favorites.

marzNC

Angel Diva
One of the first dishes I made of the 10-inch cast iron pan was Honey Garlic Salmon. I'd made it a few times with regular frying pans in the past couple years, but the searing is much better with cast iron. Took a little experimentation to figure out the best timing since the salmon finishes cooking in the oven. This way of preparing salmon has turned into one of the daughter's favorite dishes. Even more important is that my husband likes it too since he's the pickier eater. It's pretty easy and relatively quick.

https://thecookingjar.com/honey-garlic-salmon/

1 lb salmon filet
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce

I use one clove of garlic. For the ginger, I slice a dime-size chunk to mince. My family doesn't like too much ginger.

I got some skinless salmon from Costco during the first shopping trip after Stay At Home in NC. Usually don't get such a big and thick piece. But it worked out quite well. I've learned to cut up the fillet into serving size portions before cooking.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I made risotto the other week with this recipe:

https://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-vegetable-risotto-30-minutes/

Neither my partner nor I are vegan, so I also added a bit of butter and used real parmesan instead of a vegan substitute.

Next time I thought I might try it with some mushrooms and blue cheese as well to make it a bit earthier.

I had a bit of a disaster without realizing it a couple weeks ago though... apparently flour can go rancid, which I never knew! I just thought I had completely forgotten how to make pancakes! :rotf: Luckily I figured it out and found a backup bag of flour I had stashed!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not a recipe, but looking for help. I found myself stuck in a rut and uninspired on what to cook for the crew last week. (What can I say, adjusting from cooking-for-two-empty-nester to, well, cooking for the college-is-out-quarantine- crew.) As if a lack of ingredients in store weren't enough, I decided to go with an alliteration theme for as long as, well, alliteration inspiration runs out. I think the social isolation is starting to fry my brain. It started innocently enough with Taco Tuesday. Followed by Wurst Wednesday (pronounce it however is most fun for you.) Then came Miso Mokuyōbi (miso grilled salmon bowls over soba noodles with a miso based broth.) Fritata and Focaccia Friday. Sasquatch Saturday (butternut squash sauced pasta.) Somewhat spicy Sunday (curry.) Meatball Monday / Leftover Lundi. Tortellini & Tomato Soup Tuesday. Tonight is White Bean Wednesday.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow. Umm. Th.. Th.... Does anyone have alliterative food ideas for Thursday? I can't think of any food or recipe that starts with a Th. Or do I need to go international on Thursdays like last week?

mustski

Angel Diva
In another thread @dloveski brought up bread making. I've been cooking far more than usual. May actually perfect a few recipes because I'm making them more often.

What are you cooking? Got a recipe or tip to share?

I got a cast iron pan last summer. Never knew the secret of "seasoning" cast iron before to make it non-stick. It's become one of my favorites.
I love my cast iron. I make a cuban steak that I sometimes eat in salad and sometimes just eat as steak. I use sirloin steak but I doubt it matters what kind. I don't remember where I got the recipe - it's been a few years but:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lime juice (or half fresh squeezed oj works too)
2 TBS water
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano'
minced garlic to taste - I use 3 or 4 cloves
1 tsp black pepper
chopped cilantro
salt to taste

mix it all together. Use half to marinate the steak all day - overnight is even better; reserve the other 1/2 for salad dressing if making a salad

Cook the steak in the cast iron pan. That is key to it tasting really good.

Christy

Angel Diva
I increasingly use the NYT Cooking site for recipes. I've been so impressed with it. I get the print NYT on Sunday so I have access, but you have to subscribe otherwise (maybe people can see some recipes for free?). I think it's worth it. I also subscribe to Cook's Illustrated and usually go to that when I want to bake or make something classic, and I look at NYT Cooking for new recipe ideas. When you see a recipe with thousands of ratings and 5 stars, it's a good indicator (I still scan the comments to make sure there isn't something that isn't working for people). Like this one, which I make nearly every week now. It doesn't sound that exciting, but the ratings/reviews convinced me to try it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...&pgType=recipebox-page&region=chickpea&rank=2

1587669655913.png

1587669626377.png

Christy

Angel Diva
That looks amazing @Christy! Do you do it with the fennel? I think it's a highly underrated ingredient.

Sometimes. I like fennel too but if I already have celery I'll use that. Most everything in the recipe is swappable. I just used rapini instead of mustard greens because that's what I got in my CSA this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
You must try my Magic Custard Cornbread recipe. It has to be made in a cast iron skillet.
Sounds yummy! Especially helpful to know how to make substitute buttermilk. Would the recipe need to be adjusted for a 10-inch skillet?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I was planning on bringing this to my friend's party in June, which probably won't happen. It can be a side dish or add a salad and a vegetable and serve it as a main dish.

Dirty (Cajun) Rice

1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
1 cup celery diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups white rice uncooked
3 1/2 cups beef broth
chopped green onion

Instructions

Add ground beef to a heavy pan set over medium heat. Crumble with a spatula and cook 4-5 minutes until no pink remains.

Add onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, Cajun seasoning, and salt. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add rice and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 to 23 minutes or until rice is cooked.

Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Garnish with green onions before serving.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I just announced here that I'm planning to put together another Ski Diva cookbook. We did one way back in 2008, so I think it's time for an update. If you'd like to contribute one or two of your favorites, please email them to me at [email protected].

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I had an intense start to the morning today! Was making some toast in the oven and decided I wanted melty butter on it, so I dabbed a pat on each slice. It melted through, dripped on the bottom of the oven, and caught fire!

All the windows and doors are now open, and my partner accepted my sheepish apology for the smoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly