• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What's a good step up from the Salomon Cira?

Nerduro

Diva in Training
Hello everyone! My partner (5'3" 120 lbs) spent the past season on my old 154 Salomon Ciras, and is now ready for something stiffer and less chattery. I moved onto a set of 161 Salomon Astras, but I think she would prefer a ski that's somewhere in between the Cira and the Astra, as it took me a while to get comfy on the Astras and I tend to ski at higher speeds than she does. She's a pretty tight and controlled skier, and like me she mostly sticks to blue New England trails. Right now I'm looking at the Volkl Kama and Yumi, but I'm wondering if the Kama will still be too chattery in the crud? Unfortunately she won't have a chance to demo anything.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you say chattery, do you mean tip flap? Or do you mean the ski "skips" when on edge down steeper slopes?

Nerduro

Diva in Training
The whole ski kinda vibrates too much. It wasn't an issue for me when I started skiing on them, but as I started pushing them more they just felt really unstable, especially straightlining or going through crud. I think that's what she's experiencing as well. I was really happy learning on them but got a point where I couldn't stand them anymore.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Tips wavering is one thing. Not sure why a ski would vibrate unless you're physically pushing the ski and not letting it do the work. When I get that, I know I'm trying to make it do something it doesn't like. Happened this morning and I made the change required.

Don't know anything about the Volkl's, so no help there.

Nerduro

Diva in Training
It might just be tip flap, it's been a while since I've been on them, but they are definitely a very flexy ski that doesn't like speed or crud. I outgrew them in a season and have been much happier since I moved onto something else, I figured she would be happier on something stiffer as well. But the Astra took me a while to grow into, and since she skis about half as much as I do I was hoping there'd be something out there in between the Astra and Cira.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It might just be tip flap, it's been a while since I've been on them, but they are definitely a very flexy ski that doesn't like speed or crud. I outgrew them in a season and have been much happier since I moved onto something else, I figured she would be happier on something stiffer as well. But the Astra took me a while to grow into, and since she skis about half as much as I do I was hoping there'd be something out there in between the Astra and Cira.
It could be other factors that made the Astra a bit slow for you to "grow into." Did you demo them first, or just buy them? Sometimes, if you don't demo, you can get on a ski that works OK, but doesn't work GREAT for you, or make you smile.

Look into a Rossi E84 or E80, Blizzard Black Pearl 82, maybe the Kama (I don't know anything about them, but the Yumi is a more advanced ski, and Volkl in general can be a lot of ski for some.)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe the Kama is basically the pre-metal Yumi, isn't it?
I'm not sure, but they do look similar. I'd definitely recommend them to someone who is just moving into the intermediate level over the Yumi based on specs alone.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Of all the Volkl skis I've demo'd, the pre-metal Yumi @147 was the only one that I found to be fun (on short groomers at Massanutten). While the Kama @161 that I demo'd at Sunapee last week was okay, it was clearly a bit long. My guess is that I would like it more at an appropriate length.

https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-ski-test?skis=2019-volkl-kama-womens-skis

"The Volkl Kama is a new model for 2019, although you might be more familiar with it than you think. The Kama shares the same sidecut dimensions as the previous version of the Yumi and uses a multi-layer wood core with no metal. For 2018, Volkl updated the Yumi ski to include metal, which made it a little bit more demanding overall. For skiers who prefer a wood core with no metal Volkl has essentially brought it back in the form of the Kama. It’s lightweight, uses a subtle amount of tip rocker, and has a 83 mm waist width that should be versatile across varying terrain and snow conditions. Let’s see what our testers thought of it, all of whom tested the 161 cm length.
. . ."

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yeah, it's my understanding that the Kama is just the old-Yumi renamed, basically.

https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-ski-test?skis=2019-volkl-kama-womens-skis

From that site:

"The Volkl Kama is a new model for 2019, although you might be more familiar with it than you think. The Kama shares the same sidecut dimensions as the previous version of the Yumi and uses a multi-layer wood core with no metal. "

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Are you saying you had Yumis for a bit? I was on the old non-metal Yumi for 3 years, I think? I'm not sure how tall you or how much you weigh, but I'm 5'1" and about 105 lbs. I was on the cusp of high intermediate-low advanced, and I'd call myself an low advanced skier right now (not sure I have the tree and bump skills to feel truly advanced). Anyhow, my impression of this is they're a ski with a very nice flex that has some pop to it but isn't overly stiff. Good for teaching you/getting a feel for bending a ski if you're not overpowering it. As long as I could keep it on edge it never felt too terrible in crud and at higher speeds, but it's definitely not stiff and damp enough to be a crud buster. I never really hit a speed limit on it until last year and even then infrequently at the bottom of a steep run at Jack Frost with a long run-out where I'd always try to keep my speed up. My speed at the bottom of that run b/c I wasn't braking at all, was getting a little dicey that last year.

The new Yumi with metal is damper and a little stiffer, but nowhere near the Kenja. I can't speak to other skis, but if she's still learning and isn't going all that fast, the old Yumi or Kama might be better. Only upside I'd see to the Yumi over the Kama is it is damper and better in crud, which might be more confidence inspiring for her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly