• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Whatcould the problem be?

Amie H

Angel Diva
Ok, I looked up my "easiest" skis, the K2 True Luv...they have a TR of 14m. Same as the Nelas.

The Rossignols are listed as <16m. They took me a bit longer to feel good with, but I'm 100% with those now. I think in older threads, I kvetched about not loving them.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ok, I looked up my "easiest" skis, the K2 True Luv...they have a TR of 14m. Same as the Nelas.

The Rossignols are listed as <16m. They took me a bit longer to feel good with, but I'm 100% with those now. I think in older threads, I kvetched about not loving them.
As you're discovering, there are a lot of variables when it comes to ski design and materials besides length and width underfoot. Have you ever demo'd skis from DPS? Or ON3P? They hold up to heavier skiers quite well.

How old are the Tru Luv's? My 2012 Black Pearls flattened out after a few years. So they don't have the camber they did when new, and don't ski the same any more.

Amie H

Angel Diva
As you're discovering, there are a lot of variables when it comes to ski design and materials besides length and width underfoot. Have you ever demo'd skis from DPS? Or ON3P? They hold up to heavier skiers quite well.

How old are the Tru Luv's? My 2012 Black Pearls flattened out after a few years. So they don't have the camber they did when new, and don't ski the same any more.
I don't ski anywhere near as much as you do!

The k2s have maybe had 10-15 days on piste. I bought in 2019, I believe they are 2018 or 2019 model. Bought new.

I have not demoed those brands, and they don't appear to be carried by shops in my area. What many Chicago suburban stores carry: Völkl, Fischer, Nordica, Dynastar, Blizzard, Rossignol, Elan - basically if you can rent it, you can buy it.

Tbh, I'm really happy w the Rossis & K2s in terms of having fun with them. I was concerned about the quality of the K2s (they are made in China.) They would immediately rust after an outing, despite me wiping off, leaving out to dry. (I have tools to remove the rust.)

I wanted something smidge longer, finer quality material, something to go to next level, as I felt myself progressing last season, most likely from just spending more time on snow.

I won't have a demo opportunity this season, and I already spent $$$ on these so...I need to figure them out.

And just as a side note to give a complete picture, my fitness level is likely better than it has been in a few years bc I'm working out in the pool 6x/week and sleeping great. (Had 3 surgeries 2019-20 that kept me away from the gym.)

I think what has been suggested: get a lesson/observation is a good idea. Until then, I'll try to to ski locally each week and experiment with what works and what doesn't.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't ski anywhere near as much as you do!

The k2s have maybe had 10-15 days on piste. I bought in 2019, I believe they are 2018 or 2019 model. Bought new.
Reason I asked was that I didn't realize K2 had True Luvs in recent years. The Tru Luv I was aware of dates from a dozen years ago. I got the One Luv as my first "good skis" after my first demo day in the NC mountains because other K2 skis had felt pretty good. Turned out it wasn't the best fit after I learned more about skis and skiing. Plus I found K2 skis are heavier to carry than other brands. When wrangling kids, that mattered.

I didn't start skiing more than 30 days a season until my daughter was in middle school. Most of the days were partial days in the southeast plus a spring break week at Alta. Only had one pair of skis that I bought new after demo'ing in that period. Helped that I wasn't active on TheSkiDiva yet. :wink:

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wanted something smidge longer, finer quality material, something to go to next level, as I felt myself progressing last season, most likely from just spending more time on snow.

I won't have a demo opportunity this season, and I already spent $$$ on these so...I need to figure them out.

And just as a side note to give a complete picture, my fitness level is likely better than it has been in a few years bc I'm working out in the pool 6x/week and sleeping great. (Had 3 surgeries 2019-20 that kept me away from the gym.)

I think what has been suggested: get a lesson/observation is a good idea. Until then, I'll try to to ski locally each week and experiment with what works and what doesn't.
I have no doubt the Nelas will reward good technique and last a long time. My Massanutten instructor has had Stöckli skis for quite a while. He likes the fact that if he gets lazy, the feedback from the skis is immediate. I was surprised the first time I demo'd a narrow Stöckli that I could handle them.

My fitness is much better these days because I make the effort to stay in good shape all year long in order to be ready for ski season. That was the silver lining of having to do PT for a knee injury. :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have the Nelas been tuned?

Also, they ski longer than what you are used to since they have very little rocker and that might be throwing you off. The Temptation 84s have a much more forward mount point, too, which could also be messing you up.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Have the Nelas been tuned?

Also, they ski longer than what you are used to since they have very little rocker and that might be throwing you off. The Temptation 84s have a much more forward mount point, too, which could also be messing you up.
Yep, they definitely feel "longer."

As far as tuning, just typical new ski setup. I doubt they changed the factory edge.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, they definitely feel "longer."

As far as tuning, just typical new ski setup. I doubt they changed the factory edge.
Can you side slip on them? Or do they feel "wiggly" when you try to? If so, I'd suspect the tune is off.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Can you side slip on them? Or do they feel "wiggly" when you try to? If so, I'd suspect the tune is off.
Funny you should mention that. I noticed side slipping was very easy and natural yesterday, as I did it on a few black runs.

Amie H

Angel Diva
So to be clear: on my new skis the skill that gives me pain is trying to ski w body in forward stance, shoulders pointing downhill, and using short fast turns. This is how I ski 80% of the time. And it's not EVERY time I am doing this, maybe half of the time.
Linked turns, side slipping/skids, and hopping moguls is comfortable.

My main concern is injuring my knees and/or legs - like I'm straining something in the way I'm skiing them.

@Iwannaski kindly sent me the name of a local instructor so I will follow y'alls advice and make an appointment for a personal clinic day!

Last edited:

Amie H

Angel Diva
Unfortunately, no lessons available midweek in afternoons in the near future at either local spot. So I'm going to take TWO pairs of skis with me to Wilmot tomorrow after work, since it's a very easy stroll to the lifts from the parking lot. I'll do a few runs on the Stocklis and see how I feel. It there is strain sensation again, I'll finish my session w the other skis.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
One more thought. @Amie H … I will probably be at Alpine on Saturday and Sunday am. If you were planning on skiing this weekend, I could conceivably be your film crew. LOL.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Aw dang, thanks @Iwannaski but I'm leaving for Tahoe Saturday afternoon!

BUT...let's plan to do that some weekend and I'll bring the gopro & tripod. I can film you, as well so you can have film to watch to analyze your technique - just like pro ballplayers!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Perfect… I won’t be there next weekend, but will be eking out as much snow time as I can until I leave for my work trip in March.

Amie H

Angel Diva
Perfect… I won’t be there next weekend, but will be eking out as much snow time as I can until I leave for my work trip in March.
NEXT weekend I'm going to Philly to cheer on my EAGLES in the SUPER BOWL with my extended family!!!!

Might get a ski day w my sister Superbowl Sunday morning in the Lehigh Valley area, but she's going to make that call later next week based on conditions.

Amie H

Angel Diva
UPDATE: went to Wilmot (local hill) today.

After talking about this here last night,, I started researching my issues on Reddit & then watching a bunch of Deb Armstrong tutorials online. I think figured out how to comfortably drive my skis. Needed more ankle flexion and power from/through the foot and shin. They were so much more comfortable skiing them this way, saying "ankles, ankles, ankles" to myself. I just kept practicing over and over:Screenshot_20230202-152945_EpicMix.jpg

No upper knee & quad pain. Also played around with skids on the tiny steep sections, and that was fun and easy.

Happy that I didn't waste $$$ on these skis! Once I got the method down, they were super easy to turn. Just required more consciously pushing from the balls of my feet through the instep and ankle, and they responded.

Yay! Happy and pain-free skier(see below!)
20230202_152532.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
UPDATE: went to Wilmot (local hill) today.

After talking about this here last night,, I started researching my issues on Reddit & then watching a bunch of Deb Armstrong tutorials online. I think figured out how to comfortably drive my skis. Needed more ankle flexion and power from/through the foot and shin. They were so much more comfortable skiing them this way, saying "ankles, ankles, ankles" to myself. I just kept practicing over and over:View attachment 20292

No upper knee & quad pain. Also played around with skids on the tiny steep sections, and that was fun and easy.

Happy that I didn't waste $$$ on these skis! Once I got the method down, they were super easy to turn. Just required more consciously pushing from the balls of my feet through the instep and ankle, and they responded.

Yay! Happy and pain-free skier(see below!)
View attachment 20294
Nice work!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna