• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What you need to know about skiing at a Vail Resorts this season

marzNC

Angel Diva
That is good as at the begging they were saying you would have to make a reservation every single day for the following day and once your pass is scanned you can make a new one...
?? That may be what some people believed but never what VR stated. The reservation system being used in N. America is an enhanced system that was used June-Sept in Australia. Could always reserve multiple days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking at the Epic pass options for seniors 65+ as well as the general list of "holiday" black out dates is that VR knows based on past experience which days during a holiday period are busy, and which are not. For instance, the black out days for a Senior Epic pass may include Thanksgiving Friday, Christmas week, and Sat-Sun of MLK and Pres. Day. The Northeast Midweek is not blacked out for MLK and Pres. Day Mondays. The Tahoe Value for seniors is slightly different between Heavenly versus Kirkwood and Northstar.

A local who wants to reserve a few days far in advance before Dec. 8 should probably use Priority 7-Day reservations for Saturdays plus those holidays. Can check the local Regional or Specialty passes to see exactly which days are blacked out for a given region. The list of black out dates is slightly different between the Northeast and Tahoe passes. Note that "Northeast" for Epic isn't just New England. Also include Hunter in the NY Catskills, the former Snowtime resorts in PA (Roundtop, Liberty, Whitetail), and the former Peak locations in Ohio.

After Dec. 8, can still reserve Priority Days. However for a Saturday there may be fewer slots since people without an Epic pass of any kind may be able to buy a day ticket. Probably not too far in advance though. More likely that day tickets during mid-season will be released on a schedule that's similar to Week Of reservations. The number of spots will depend on Priority reservations and weather conditions. If a snowstorm that include high winds will require wind holds on several lifts, that will change the situation for a given day.

In short, someone who is serious about wanting to ski for only a couple weekends and is determined to ski at a VR destination resort should consider making a commitment in Nov and buy an Epic Day Pass for 4-7 days soon. The refund policy means that if it's not possible to get reservations before Dec. 8 based on any Epic pass then can get a full refund.

Last edited:

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a message to pass holders labeled “Important note,” pass holders were told that Vail Resorts wants to accommodate everyone who wants to ski and snowboard this season, and to do so, “pass holders should only book week-of reservations for days that they plan to use,” the note reads. “If you abuse the system repeatedly missing or canceling week-of reservations (or priority reservation days that you booked within 2 weeks of the reservation date), you may lose your reservation privileges for a period of time.”"
Thats helpful info.

I may try and contact them just to get more info -- as I feel cancellations may legitimately happen due to weather and sniffles for some. It'd be un-fun if someone conscientious would legitimately cancel 4 reservations or such (or maybe they do not mean 4 they mean 20 sort of thing). I can imagine 50 percent of the time not getting on road if weather come into play which can happen if throwing a dart at days. ... But with all that is going on now, I am feeling more and more we will be lucky to ski past January (sorry people....) I know, I know vision positivity!!!! Today in NE and NJ they banned interstate hockey and VT clamped down even more....but I am digressing to another thread! Curious to learn more about cancellations and may contact them at some point soon. I know they are also doing all they can!! Here to hear more.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I may try and contact them just to get more info -- as I feel cancellations may legitimately happen due to weather and sniffles for some. It'd be un-fun if someone conscientious would legitimately cancel 4 reservations or such (or maybe they do not mean 4 they mean 20 sort of thing). I can imagine 50 percent of the time not getting on road if weather come into play which can happen if throwing a dart at days.
I doubt very much there is a set number that anyone has in mind. Remember, the expectation is that Priority reservations made before Dec. 8 will be for popular days that are likely to fill up. Holiday periods and Saturdays are the 15-25 days that every GM has mentioned as the days that they know some approach to limiting the number of people who arrive at their base will be necessary.

One way to use Priority reservations during the core season as a local is to make a reservation about a week before Week Of reservations open. That means deciding two weeks in advance which days making the drive fits well in the schedule. Then when Week Of opens up if it looks like a powder storm is likely can add more days that Week Of window. My thought is to think of a Priority day as a pretty firm commitment. In that case there is little point in Nov to pick random midweek days for Jan or Feb.

When driving is dangerous because of snowy weather or high winds, I doubt any cancellations will raise an eyebrow.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @marzNC for all this great info! As of today I am wondering do I ski in NH or do I stay quarantined and ski in VT (i.e Sunapee vs. Okemo/Stowe). Part of the unknowns include will Sunapee be mobbed by folks from MA and other out of state since as of now NH has no quarantine and will it also thus be less Covid-safe. Also unknown is will Okemo/Stowe be less crowded and maybe even though a bit more of a drive make for a better/ safer ski experience. These are just internal questions and I am curious if any other local VT/NH Epic skiers wondering the same thing. I still cannot fathom how many people with be legitimately doing the proper quarantine and coming to VT to ski, especially early in season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you @marzNC for all this great info! As of today I am wondering do I ski in NH or do I stay quarantined and ski in VT (i.e Sunapee vs. Okemo/Stowe). Part of the unknowns include will Sunapee be mobbed by folks from MA and other out of state since as of now NH has no quarantine and will it also thus be less Covid-safe. Also unknown is will Okemo/Stowe be less crowded and maybe even though a bit more of a drive make for a better/ safer ski experience. These are just internal questions and I am curious if any other local VT/NH Epic skiers wondering the same thing. I still cannot fathom how many people with be legitimately doing the proper quarantine and coming to VT to ski, especially early in season.
Not sure what you mean by "mobbed." The capacity limits in place are generally based on total uphill capacity from what I've been reading. That doesn't change on a Saturday versus midweek. With the Epic reservation system, VR can completely control the total number of people who have lift access for a given day.

In short, the number of people allowed to be on a mountain in New England, or anywhere else for that matter, has nothing to do with travel restrictions. At least not in the sense of there being more or less people willing to drive across a state line for skiing or drive more than an hour from their house in general. Even for resorts that aren't on Epic, there will be far fewer people on the slopes on Saturdays. It's not a choice for resort management, it's a requirement to get a winter operating plan approved by local and state public health authorities.

Honestly, I see little reason in 2020 to drive more than an hour or across state lines for early season turns. Only reason I ever bothered to plan a ski vacation in Dec was when my daughter was 4-7 and still learning. Ski school the week before Christmas is never busy. Although there was one winter when there was literally no snow on the slopes at all that week. However, Massanutten is a 4-season resort with plenty of non-skiing activities so we still had a very good time.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what you mean by "mobbed." The capacity limits in place are generally based on total uphill capacity from what I've been reading. That doesn't change on a Saturday versus midweek. With the Epic reservation system, VR can completely control the total number of people who have lift access for a given day.

In short, the number of people allowed to be on a mountain in New England, or anywhere else for that matter, has nothing to do with travel restrictions. At least not in the sense of there being more or less people willing to drive across a state line for skiing or drive more than an hour from their house in general. Even for resorts that aren't on Epic, there will be far fewer people on the slopes on Saturdays. It's not a choice for resort management, it's a requirement to get a winter operating plan approved by local and state public health authorities.

Honestly, I see little reason in 2020 to drive more than an hour or across state lines for early season turns. Only reason I ever bothered to plan a ski vacation in Dec was when my daughter was 4-7 and still learning. Ski school the week before Christmas is never busy. Although there was one winter when there was literally no snow on the slopes at all that week. However, Massanutten is a 4-season resort with plenty of non-skiing activities so we still had a very good time.
Great info as usual and well it's hard to completely dialog here, I get what you are saying and must not have been clear. Also was kind of just sharing what I was thinking about and if local people who ski here and are thinking of same variables, would be interesting to hear how they are thinking about these same variables which we talk about around here. Driving across state lines is basically I live on the line and one of those mountains has better skiing... and yes the NH mountain will draw from lots of other places (lots of day skiers typically from out of state) etc etc... (so yes in effect number of people will be effected by travel restrictions on the VT side)..... but yeah was sharing that was what I am internally thinking about - the exposure to more non-quarantined people/maybe more crowded skiing vs potentially less people/less travelers but I need to quarantine... It's an interesting and specific case to this area and Epic in NH/VT I think....... I think maybe my "sharing" came across wrong, but hope that clears up as much as a thread can on here. Any other NH/VT Epic folks here I am curious your thought patterns on your decisions. All very TBD of course!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like Epic pass sales end on Dec. 6. That's about the same time as in 2019.

At Beaver Creek, a reservation is required for some buildings that have food service even if only want to go in to warm up without eating. EpicMix is used for those reservations and can be made after 7am of someone's ski day.

Nov. 27, Vail Daily
The slopes are open at both Vail and Beaver Creek with new reservation systems in place for lift access and on-mountain dining
https://www.vaildaily.com/entertain...place-for-lift-access-and-on-mountain-dining/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Already a little out of date, but it was interesting to read about what days filled up for the first week that Beaver Creek and Crested Butte were open. Week Of reservations opened on Nov. 18 and people could book thru Nov. 29, a few more days than usual because of Thanksgiving.

Apparently there is availability for all days at all locations after Thanksgiving weekend for Epic holders. Day ticket sales start Dec. 8.

Nov. 21, Vail Daily
Ski reservations fill for Thanksgiving week at Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Crested Butte
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/ski-...reek-breckenridge-keystone-and-crested-butte/
" . . .
Additional reservations can and do become available on days that are already booked, however, and a new cancellation feature also enables pass holders to change their minds, which keeps reservation availability in flux. By Friday, Vail Mountain’s reservations had filled for Sunday, but pass holders accessing the system on Saturday reported seeing Sunday available again at points throughout the day. Sunday was booked at Vail Mountain at the time of this filing mid-day Saturday, but all other days on Vail Mountain through Nov. 29 were still available.
. . ."

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since Snowbasin has opened, took a look to see if Epic holders need to make a reservation. They don't need to. Since Snowbasin is an Epic Partner, the number of days is limited.

Sun Valley has the same policy. The two resorts are owned by the same company.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 11.00.14 PM.png

marzNC

Angel Diva
Since I've never been to Vail or Beaver Creek, not entirely sure what it means to have more chairlifts open for limited early season terrain that can be accessed from fewer lifts. Clearly VR is wants to spread people out at these two resorts as much as possible before more terrain can be opened. According to OpenSnow, Vail has 23% open and BC has 13%.

Nov. 28, Vail Daily
Six more chairs running at Vail, Beaver Creek
Mountain access now available from Cascade Village in Vail and Riverfront Gondola in Beaver Creek
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/six-more-chairs-running-at-vail-beaver-creek/

marzNC

Angel Diva
The way VR chose to put info about food options on their websites is starting to make sense. There is clearly a template that can be customized for a specific resort. The info is under Explore The Resort/During Your Stay. Seems to be set up for easy updating. For instance, the info for Keystone as of Dec. 3 notes that indoor dining is not allowed. It was available the first week or so the Keystone was open, which was before Summit County went to Red status.

"Time to Dine" are the places that a reservation is required for sit-down service with widely spaced tables. But they probably ought to update the photo on the Hunter website after day tickets are sold starting Dec. 8. The reservation slots at Hunter for eating indoors were for 45 minutes on Opening Day.

Screen Shot 2020-12-03 at 12.02.18 PM.jpg

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I haven't skied yet, so can't speak to crowds, but I have the Northeast Value Epic Pass and plan to ski at Okemo. The problem with Sunapee is that it's in New Hampshire, so if I were to ski there I would have to quarantine before coming back to VT, so I'm not considering Sunapee an option this year.

I'm very lucky to have a new work rotation that gives me 3-4 weekdays per week to ski, and those will be at Okemo. I imagine that I'll spend free weekend days at our local community hill having a more low-key sort of fun.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So Vail seems to be tweaking its reservation system. I saw this on Twitter:

Quick update on our reservation system: As we get ready for the core season, pass holders can now book week-of reservations daily for the following seven days. A new day will be available for week-of reservations each night at midnight MT instead of a once-a-week release.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So Vail seems to be tweaking its reservation system. I saw this on Twitter:

Quick update on our reservation system: As we get ready for the core season, pass holders can now book week-of reservations daily for the following seven days. A new day will be available for week-of reservations each night at midnight MT instead of a once-a-week release.

That certainly sounds like an improvement. And a reminder to follow them on Twitter!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was there today. It sucked.
You mean Vail Mountain? Have you heard much about Keystone or Breck lately?

Both Colorado and Tahoe need snow. For that matter so did the northeast until the snowstorm this weekend.

In the mid-Atlantic, the season won't be starting up for another week or two, but that's completely normal for the region since all the slopes depend on 100% snowmaking. There are people who weren't happy when VR bought Peak, which had bought Snowtime shortly before that. When Snowtime ran Roundtop, they traditionally started snowmaking very early and opened up to make locals and season passholders happy. Since the Snowtime pass covered Roundtop, Liberty, and Whitetail and those are all day trip distance from DC/NoVA they were/are the most popular slopes for people in that region. The problem people who don't live in PA have is that PA travel restrictions make day trips from the south totally impractical right now. PA started travel restrictions relatively recently compare to NY and New England states.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna