• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What would you tell your home mountain?

captain_hug99

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I want Okemo to stay open longer into the spring instead of closing when there's still good snow to be had.
YES this... after the time change in March, why do you close at 4pm?

Better and less expensive food is a big one for me.

bars on all the lifts

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YES this... after the time change in March, why do you close at 4pm?

I actually read about this in a ski magazine. It’s primarily because they need so much time to groom. Apparently okemo really struggles with the lost hour on the night we “spring forward”

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is sort of crazy about the bubble chairs. I’m told Some of it is how the lift reacts to the changes in weight and distance between the chairs. Since it’s computerized this system ‘expects’ to see what it is programmed for. And, since I race sailboats in the summer and I am way too familiar with wind, not enough or too much, the windage involved in something that big is difficult and unpredictable. Worst is when people leave the hood up and it is windy. At the summit a good gust will practically dump you out.

I rode the lift with a man last season who says he’s a fantastic engineer and knows exactly how to fix the bubble but the mountain can’t afford to pay him. He says the problem is related to excessive vibration toward the top of the lift that occurs on windy days and travels down the cable. I partly believe this to be one of the more laughable things a man has ever said to a woman on a ski lift, but it gives me hope that it’s fixable.

A video produced by okemo explained that the cross winds can actually affect the way the clamp attaches to the cable. With head winds they can usually get away with just slowing the lift because it’s less dangerous. This sounds much more reputable to me.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rode the lift with a man last season who says he’s a fantastic engineer and knows exactly how to fix the bubble but the mountain can’t afford to pay him.

:rotf::rotf:

Sounds like the guy I met at a bar last spring who

1. Interrupted me to tell me he was a good listener
2. Went on and on about how much more he knew about manufacturing than his bosses at the cheese factory.
3. The next time I saw him admitted he'd been fired from the cheese factory.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:rotf::rotf:

Sounds like the guy I met at a bar last spring who

1. Interrupted me to tell me he was a good listener
2. Went on and on about how much more he knew about manufacturing than his bosses at the cheese factory.
3. The next time I saw him admitted he'd been fired from the cheese factory.
HE'S LITERALLY BAD AT LETTING MILK GO BAD! Sometimes I'm amazed these men can get down a mountain

newboots

Angel Diva
Some of these guys on the lift are beyond belief! Is there a little card that the lifters hand out giving permission for mansplaining, and for trying to teach competent women how to ski?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wish Massanutten would have mountain hosts to help newbies. Even if can't be done all the time, even having a volunteer host or two for the morning hours during holiday weekends or any Sat morning would be helpful. Presumably at Christmas too but I've never bother to go then.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish Massanutten would have mountain hosts to help newbies. Even if can't be done all the time, even having a volunteer host or two for the morning hours during holiday weekends or any Sat morning would be helpful. Presumably at Christmas too but I've never bother to go then.

I love the idea of volunteer programs. I would definitely have done something like this in college for no pay if I got a season pass out of it, or even if I could just use it as service hours for student orgs! Are you thinking of hosts on snow or around the lots and base area? Okemo actually has a program for both, and I find them extremely helpful

marzNC

Angel Diva
I love the idea of volunteer programs. I would definitely have done something like this in college for no pay if I got a season pass out of it, or even if I could just use it as service hours for student orgs! Are you thinking of hosts on snow or around the lots and base area? Okemo actually has a program for both, and I find them extremely helpful
Mostly around the base area. Even though there is good signage, plenty of slightly lost people looking for the ski school or even the entrance to the main lodge. Some people never find the top floor of the lodge, which has seating. Massanutten is a small ski resort in northern VA, only has 75 acres of trails that are all groomers except one short black that is very clearly marked as "For Experts Only" that is off a lift that serves the main blue (has a mid-station for off-loading).

I've been to quite a few destination resorts in the northeast and out west with mountain hosts. Even better when there are free mountain tours when there are more than 500 acres to explore.

Can also see the value of on-mountain "safety patrol" at medium size ski areas near urban areas. Wachusett is the example I've been to the most. Usually a pair of skiers standing near a busy area. Reminds me of what happens on a major highway when there is an empty highway patrol car parked in the median on a holiday weekend.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My home mountain is Whistler.
Dumb things I want to tell Vail Resorts:1) "Literally all of Vancouver is on a paleo or keto diet right now. You need to have food options that reflect that" - I mean even A&W offers the option of wrapping your burger in a lettuce leaf instead of a bun these days. 2) Vail has awesome cafeteria food (or that's what I thought on my 1 trip there in 2013) but WB still doesn't. Send some of your menu planners over and fix our cafeterias. 3) I miss the music in the terrain park - it livened up the (interminable) ride on Catskinner. Bring it back! 4) You need to find the right balance between being green (taking out all the paper towels in the loos to force us to use the handdryers) and amenities that people take for granted in the big league resorts (like more Kleenex - gotta blow your nose a lot when skiing - even if people have been idiots and using the Kleenex to dry their hands)

Serious things I want to tell Vail: 1) Liftline behaviour has deteriorated in the past 2 years. As a result, VR need to allocate more staff for lift queue management. The number of times I've wanted to scream "WTF people - you don't wait for your group INSIDE the lift line corral. You don't wait for them *after* passing through the gates" is not even funny. At first I thought this stupidity was due to a lack of familiarity with queue etiquette/different cultural norms, what with more skiers coming from LatAm and China. But nope, I hear these people talking and more often than not, the culprits are regular N.American skiers - upper middle class presumably white people from this cultural milieu who bloody well should know better than to create chaos in the lift queue by just milling about waiting for their family at a point in the corrall where people should have already formed into groups of 4 and be shuffling along and merging. My conclusion is that a disproportionate number of Epic Pass holders are entitled selfish sh.theads......

2) Speaking of the growing diversity (and Whistler has always been the among most diverse of the major N.American resorts - I can only imagine Tahoe & SoCal ones would match), VR needs to start planning how to recruit more Mandarin speaking staff from metro Vancouver, where there is a huge pool of young folk who ski or ride AND speak native-level Mandarin.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like this one, since we're talking about the same ownership group for our favorite resorts. And it sounds like people here think there won't be a mountain collective in the future, so we might get our wish.

Just noticed @Albertan ski girl wished the same thing too.
Ack, I can see my home mtn going to Ikon or something else that will just bring in MORE hoards.

As to folks cutting lift lines--holy cow has it been happening a lot this season. People weaving their way through the gondola maze to catch up with their friends, that kind of stuff. Umm, you're supposed to gather everyone OUTSIDE the maze, then get in line when you are all together OR ride up separately and wait at the top.

But, my biggest message I wish I could get across is to start pushing safety with an iron fist. You straight line and are caught? Pass pulled for 30 days. You do it again? Pass is lost. You take out someone and they are injured (or not)--same consequences. I am OVER the out-of-control mostly young men who use the entire mountain as their personal terrain park and straight line down or across major runs to either get to the next park, or to the next jump. I have had so many friends get taken out and end up with some very serious injuries as of late.

I witnessed a kid on a snowboard gain speed on purpose so he could jump over a gal who had fallen yesterday and was laying in the middle of a very busy run. He let out a big yell as he did it. I spotted patrol shortly after and sent them after the kid. I have no idea what happened.

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ack, I can see my home mtn going to Ikon or something else that will just bring in MORE hoards.

As to folks cutting lift lines--holy cow has it been happening a lot this season. People weaving their way through the gondola maze to catch up with their friends, that kind of stuff. Umm, you're supposed to gather everyone OUTSIDE the maze, then get in line when you are all together OR ride up separately and wait at the top.

But, my biggest message I wish I could get across is to start pushing safety with an iron fist. You straight line and are caught? Pass pulled for 30 days. You do it again? Pass is lost. You take out someone and they are injured (or not)--same consequences. I am OVER the out-of-control mostly young men who use the entire mountain as their personal terrain park and straight line down or across major runs to either get to the next park, or to the next jump. I have had so many friends get taken out and end up with some very serious injuries as of late.

I witnessed a kid on a snowboard gain speed on purpose so he could jump over a gal who had fallen yesterday and was laying in the middle of a very busy run. He let out a big yell as he did it. I spotted patrol shortly after and sent them after the kid. I have no idea what happened.
Okay....that makes me feel better about the growing chaos at Whistler. I'll chalk it up to broader societal unpleasantness than slurring Epicpass holders!

kiki

Angel Diva
Okay....that makes me feel better about the growing chaos at Whistler. I'll chalk it up to broader societal unpleasantness than slurring Epicpass holders!
I have noticed that in prior seasons there were the mountain hosts managing the line ups and now they are not there. It is anarchy. People can't figure out how to fill the 6 spots on emerald so even when a huge line there are chairs going up with 2 or 3 people. Vail needs to recruit and bring back more mountain hosts to help in the lines!

Also i have noticed significantly fewer patrol people in key areas and people are skiing/boarding super fast and dangerously even in slow areas where the patrol safety people used to wave at them to slow down, without that person in an official yellow jacket people are behaving like maniacs.

And twice now restaurant on hill have run out of food.

Not happy with WB right now that is for sure.

Btw @Cantabrigienne we will have to meet one day!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Yes, lift line management and reckless skiing/boarding. That plus people blocking areas right off the lift, esp where there are signs that say “keep clear”. If you need to adjust equipment or whatever, move the heck out of the way!

Also, I just posted this on another thread, but also fitting here:

“She was 5. You were doing 50.” I first noticed this poster at Jackson Hole
last season, then again at Snowbird this season. It’s about how a 23 year old man plowed into and killed a 5 year old girl at a Wyoming resort back in 2010. Breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time whenever I see it or think about it but I wish they would put this up all over every resort as a reminder to ski responsibly. So sad.
https://www.nsaa.org/safety-programs/collisions/

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lack of safety and enforcement of safety--the dirty secret of the ski resort industry?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf (Maine): GET SERIOUS ABOUT LIFT REPLACEMENT. Good grief, you've got some of the BEST terrain in the Northeast, and arguably some of the OLDEST lifts in the COUNTRY.

What the heck happened to the "long range" Sugarloaf-2020 plan?
It's 2019.

Oh right, I forgot - Big Sky, also owned by Boyne.
And we sit here, forgotten.
:mad2:

lucy

Angel Diva
Ditto for line management needs. Standing in line (Snowbird) feels like insult on top of injury. Injury being the greatly exaggerated powder report (generally, divide by two is more accurate). Also, please stop sacrificing the experience of your loyal season pass holders for new skiers, for example, ski for free day with a pass from any other resort without telling me (so I can ski elsewhere). Deer Valley is flatter than Snowbird, but I prefer my overall experience because it's what I think a ski day should feel like. Oh, and PLEASE lose the "one star" marketing campaign, it just validates the prevailing opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna