• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What was your experience like in an AIARE 1 class?

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I realize your class is already over, but just in case this thread gets referenced by another upcoming AIARE student, my class was a hot mess (I mean, I definitely learned a lot, but definitely had me on the edge of my comfort zone).
  • I picked my course/outfitter because I got invited to join a group by a guy on Tinder I had never met. One of the other members of the group was another guy from Tinder. They were both roommates.
  • Most outfitters in the W WA region do 500-1000 ft of skinning per day and keep terrain mostly like a single black for their longer day and road skinning for the shorter day. I had about 25 days of skiing - ever - under my belt and was just starting to dabble off piste. The outfitter I had signed up with is the one in the area known for making more time to tour, make field observations, and go through some real-world decision making conversation. Our guide took us down the Snow Like Divide, which gets over 35 degrees for a good section, and in fairly wet fresh snow. I impressed a total of 0 Tinder bros. Total we ended up skinning a touch over 2000 feet on day 2. It destroyed me, partially because I brought like 200 calories of snacks.
  • I took my AIARE in the era of heavy frame bindings. My guide thought I was experienced since I was the only one without a skin track backsliding explosion.
  • I trimmed my skins and watched some YouTube videos on how to use my bindings at 2am the night before the class since I never thought to test my setup out beforehand. I ended up skinning 500ft of vert with the toepieces of my Radical ST 2s rotating all around because I didn't realize they locked out.
  • Changing tampons on a 22 degree slope, clicked into your skis, in deep powder is really hard. It looked like someone was murdered.
  • I tried really hard not to cry on the luge track, but as I've met more women skiers and made more guide friends, I've learned that the odds of tears are pretty high. If you're feeling overwhelmed or exhausted, let it out however you need to. You won't get cemented into their brain as The Weak One.
I ran into my guide on the summit of Baker the next summer and I was immediately like "Dave! I can actually ski now!" and it felt so redeeming that he was there to witness a 7k tour day with steep pitches and crevasse hazard. I hope it affirms to guides that the struggle bus of the class isn't a lost cause.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I feel your pain about free heeled downhill in AT bindings. One time, many moons ago, when I skinned up, used ski crampons, and finally hiked the last bit on left gully, I forgot to lock down for the descent. Those first 2 turns were the scariest I had every made. No skins, but super scary nevertheless.

Oh my, I can't even imagine that!! One of my instructors this season teaches on a tele setup and it still AMAZES me. He can ski all of the regular alpine turns on any gnarly bump and tree terrain that we're in and then sometimes will throw in some tele turns. Blows my mind that someone can do that without their heels held down.

I'm okay with skin skiing down small inclines that don't require much in the way of turning. Day 1 we had to go down a narrow steepish pitch with all types of turns in the trail. It actually felt okay at first with keeping my weight back, until my skins abruptly slowed WAY down in the powder quite unexpectedly and my upper body just did not get the memo and kept right on going..:rotf:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Go up on a bluebird Saturday in May. The Tuckerman Trail will be crowded. You'll blast by all the others in boots. Watch the fun from the bottom of the bowl. Climb up and ski if you like. It's a worthy enterprise. That's my user image up there, climbing the bowl.

I would like to go up and see this for sure!

I never realized exactly what your picture was, very cool!

MissySki

Angel Diva
"Analisa, post: 431011, member: 8302"]I realize your class is already over, but just in case this thread gets referenced by another upcoming AIARE student, my class was a hot mess (I mean, I definitely learned a lot, but definitely had me on the edge of my comfort zone).
  • I picked my course/outfitter because I got invited to join a group by a guy on Tinder I had never met. One of the other members of the group was another guy from Tinder. They were both roommates.
    • I can't recommend Backcountry Babes enough, I really loved that all of the students were women. At first I was surprised that they would have a male instructor in the mix, but he was really great too!
  • Most outfitters in the W WA region do 500-1000 ft of skinning per day and keep terrain mostly like a single black for their longer day and road skinning for the shorter day. I had about 25 days of skiing - ever - under my belt and was just starting to dabble off piste. The outfitter I had signed up with is the one in the area known for making more time to tour, make field observations, and go through some real-world decision making conversation. Our guide took us down the Snow Like Divide, which gets over 35 degrees for a good section, and in fairly wet fresh snow. I impressed a total of 0 Tinder bros. Total we ended up skinning a touch over 2000 feet on day 2. It destroyed me, partially because I brought like 200 calories of snacks.
    • I can't imagine having done this so early in my skiing evolution, especially since one of our trails was mostly bumps going down and I just started being friendly with bumps a few years ago.. we still fight often lol.
    • Day 1 we did 2009 feet over ~2.8 miles climbing up and Day 2 we did 1635 feet over ~1.6 miles climbing up.
  • I took my AIARE in the era of heavy frame bindings. My guide thought I was experienced since I was the only one without a skin track backsliding explosion.
    • Anyone who didn't have full on tech bindings had Shifts in my class, which was kind of funny. Also awesome because anytime someone had an issue most others knew how to help with their specific binging.
  • I trimmed my skins and watched some YouTube videos on how to use my bindings at 2am the night before the class since I never thought to test my setup out beforehand. I ended up skinning 500ft of vert with the toepieces of my Radical ST 2s rotating all around because I didn't realize they locked out.
  • Changing tampons on a 22 degree slope, clicked into your skis, in deep powder is really hard. It looked like someone was murdered.
    • There was a thread in a women's Facebook hiking group here recently on dumping your menstrual cup on winter hikes.. These types of stories/questions really make me LOVE my decision to get an IUD even more. I can't remember the last time I had a period, it's so great especially for active pursuits like this! That sounds really really hard.
  • I tried really hard not to cry on the luge track, but as I've met more women skiers and made more guide friends, I've learned that the odds of tears are pretty high. If you're feeling overwhelmed or exhausted, let it out however you need to. You won't get cemented into their brain as The Weak One.
    • I had a lot of anxiety about the hike up on Day 1 as I mentioned here as well. I expressed this to the instructor and he ended up mentioning that 1) I didn't need to worry about my pace, 2) it was best to share with everyone any anxieties/things on your mind that can affect your focus/thoughts and ultimately the group you're traveling with, and 3) that it was best to face our anxieties head on and asked me to lead the group at the front setting the pace for awhile. I kind of despised doing that, but it was kind of helpful. People said afterward that they liked my pace, though I imagine they were probably just being nice! Otherwise why would they go faster when leading?
I ran into my guide on the summit of Baker the next summer and I was immediately like "Dave! I can actually ski now!" and it felt so redeeming that he was there to witness a 7k tour day with steep pitches and crevasse hazard. I hope it affirms to guides that the struggle bus of the class isn't a lost cause.

Lots of good points in your experience. It was a more challenging weekend than I'd originally expected in a multitude of ways, but also really rewarding and fun. Each day on it's own was hard for me, but two days in a row was even more so for someone who hasn't skinned all that much previously. However, even though Day 2 felt harder physically it was easier for me mentally because I knew what to expect and that I could do it if I just kept on going. I definitely plan to get out and skin more regularly to get in better shape for the uphill endurance aspect of things. Wondering if it'd be nice to listen to music with ear buds while going up. I love the quiet of nature, but sometimes it really gets into my head that all I have to think of is "how much further or how much longer?!?!". I wonder if some ear buds would help distract me from that piece.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I read this in awe of you, to be honest. I had to climb up a hill a few weeks ago because I didnt trust myself to maneuver it safely, and quickly realized that for me, skiing should always be a downhill sport. climbing up is utterly exhausting!

It's so much easier to skin up than to climb up in those situations though, I can promise you that! However, I definitely seem to find the uphill piece a lot more taxing than many. I'm really curious how improved it'll feel if I start focusing on it more, I'm hoping a lot but unsure because real cardio endurance has always been something quite elusive to me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Day 2 was on the Cog Railway on Mount Washington and we had a really nice day with relatively warm temperatures and actual views unlike Saturday. I didn't actually realize that the Cog's train runs in the winter and it was quite surreal to have a train going up and down while skinning and skiing, I really liked that. As we hiked up we learned kick turns and did a bunch of zig zagging back and forth to work on those. Finally something on skins I was good at! lol Low hanging fruit, but that was WAY easier for me to grasp than skin skiing at least. It was a bit of a slog up, you gain quite a bit of elevation in a short time- it was 1635 ft in ~1.6 miles and after Day 1 I was feeling it in my glutes. (Is that where I should be feeling it??)

Once we got to our destination around 450 feet of elevation higher than the Waumbek Tank, we took a break for lunch and then started in on much more interactive and in depth pit digging/analysis. We found a huge amount of facets in multiple layers to play with, they are so darn cool to look at under magnification but finding the multiple persistent layers we did was a very clear message that steeps were not advisable. Another group came down from digging pits a bit above us near Ammonoosuc Ravine and found the same concerns so they didn't ski it. This is where a skier unfortunately died in an avalanche a couple of weeks ago..

After we filled in our pits we moved on to more companion rescue drills and eventually skied down arriving back to our cars just before 5pm. We were lucky to have a large group ahead of us who broke up the crusty snow even further for us, so it was pretty good conditions going down outside of one slick area. We met up in the parking lot for a debrief and then headed on our way. Next Monday we'll do another Zoom meeting to close out and our instructor has some homework on designing a more complicated trip plan now that we've been out for a couple of days. He apparently adds this piece on outside of the actual program, I so appreciate the passion he has and look forward to having him as great a resource going forward.

So, if anyone is thinking of doing their AIARE 1 and would like to do a women's group I can't recommend Backcountry Babes enough, they were really great. If you're in the New England area you will likely have my instructor Al Mandell at Mount Washington and you'd be really lucky to learn from him!77836533-0B1D-4D49-9735-7AFB9EB3F180.jpeg98EEB1B2-D4A8-4951-8CEE-587BF0353D2D.jpegA2BA29EB-0A5C-4E7E-979E-D8C2DC9631E8.jpeg2B25ABE4-5B34-45B3-8286-3966F21E543F.jpeg
Facets

3961D55D-51BE-47E2-8D45-949D8C0D27A2.jpeg
Perhaps someone could help with rotating pictures? For now, here’s an upside down @lisamamot and I waiting for the other group to leave so we could start our companion rescue drills.

04A0AD01-E890-4579-85FE-245840059D26.jpeg

Last edited:

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"Analisa, post: 431011, member: 8302"]I realize your class is already over, but just in case this thread gets referenced by another upcoming AIARE student, my class was a hot mess (I mean, I definitely learned a lot, but definitely had me on the edge of my comfort zone).
    • I can't recommend Backcountry Babes enough, I really loved that all of the students were women. At first I was surprised that they would have a male instructor in the mix, but he was really great too!
    • I can't imagine having done this so early in my skiing evolution, especially since one of our trails was mostly bumps going down and I just started being friendly with bumps a few years ago.. we still fight often lol.
    • Day 1 we did 2009 feet over ~2.8 miles climbing up and Day 2 we did 1635 feet over ~1.6 miles climbing up.
    • Anyone who didn't have full on tech bindings had Shifts in my class, which was kind of funny. Also awesome because anytime someone had an issue most others knew how to help with their specific binging.
    • There was a thread in a women's Facebook hiking group here recently on dumping your menstrual cup on winter hikes.. These types of stories/questions really make me LOVE my decision to get an IUD even more. I can't remember the last time I had a period, it's so great especially for active pursuits like this! That sounds really really hard.
    • I had a lot of anxiety about the hike up on Day 1 as I mentioned here as well. I expressed this to the instructor and he ended up mentioning that 1) I didn't need to worry about my pace, 2) it was best to share with everyone any anxieties/things on your mind that can affect your focus/thoughts and ultimately the group you're traveling with, and 3) that it was best to face our anxieties head on and asked me to lead the group at the front setting the pace for awhile. I kind of despised doing that, but it was kind of helpful. People said afterward that they liked my pace, though I imagine they were probably just being nice! Otherwise why would they go faster when leading?

Lots of good points in your experience. It was a more challenging weekend than I'd originally expected in a multitude of ways, but also really rewarding and fun. Each day on it's own was hard for me, but two days in a row was even more so for someone who hasn't skinned all that much previously. However, even though Day 2 felt harder physically it was easier for me mentally because I knew what to expect and that I could do it if I just kept on going. I definitely plan to get out and skin more regularly to get in better shape for the uphill endurance aspect of things. Wondering if it'd be nice to listen to music with ear buds while going up. I love the quiet of nature, but sometimes it really gets into my head that all I have to think of is "how much further or how much longer?!?!". I wonder if some ear buds would help distract me from that piece.
@MissySki I know for many earbuds and music helps them exercise but when backcountry skiing I would not want my partner to have earbuds in. You could be missing how the wind is changing or not hear an avalanche or missing the discussion on conditions with the group. Being present is important to me in ski partners and something for you to consider.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki I know for many earbuds and music helps them exercise but when backcountry skiing I would not want my partner to have earbuds in. You could be missing how the wind is changing or not hear an avalanche or missing the discussion on conditions with the group. Being present is important to me in ski partners and something for you to consider.

This is a great point, to clarify I was more thinking in regards to inbounds and very far from avalanche terrain locally just when putting in the time to skin for getting in shape/building more endurance. It absolutely makes sense not to do that in the backcountry with a group.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today I sat watching the snow melt from my office window, so at lunch I decided to go out and play a bit while it lasts. I put on my skins and spent a half hour skinning up and skin skiing down my front yard over and over again. It's not excessively steep or long, but enough that I can ski a few turns coming down when there's fresh snow. I think it at least helped to desensitize me a little to keep sliding straight down on my skins in control and without face planting. It could also be that it's way easier to accomplish these things without a heavy backpack throwing my balance off.. :rotf:

elemmac

Angel Diva
For anyone that's looking to dive into more information and stories about avalanches here's a few podcasts that were recommended by my AIARE instructor last year. I've listened to all three (not in their entirety), and have found quite a few episodes fascinating. All can be found on Apple Podcasts (and probably other places too).

- The Avalanche Hour
- Slide: The Avalanche Podcast (no new episodes are being made)
- Totally Deep

MissySki

Angel Diva
For anyone that's looking to dive into more information and stories about avalanches here's a few podcasts that were recommended by my AIARE instructor last year. I've listened to all three (not in their entirety), and have found quite a few episodes fascinating. All can be found on Apple Podcasts (and probably other places too).

- The Avalanche Hour
- Slide: The Avalanche Podcast (no new episodes are being made)
- Totally Deep

Cool, thanks!! This sometimes makes me wish I spent more time in my car nowadays haha. I think we've had the discussion where I mentioned that the car is where I do so much better listening to podcasts versus elsewhere because I often get distracted doing other things and end up having to listen to the same thing over and over again.

There's also a Mount Washington Avalanche Outreach podcast, but I haven't gotten to listen to any of it yet to see if it's any good..

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think we've had the discussion where I mentioned that the car is where I do so much better listening to podcasts versus elsewhere because I often get distracted doing other things and end up having to listen to the same thing over and over again.

So true! When I was commuting, I had two or three podcasts that I listened to every single day. Now I feel like I catch 1 out of every 10 episodes (if that).

I'll have to check out the MWA one, I didn't know they were doing a podcast.

ESGCO

Certified Ski Diva
Today I sat watching the snow melt from my office window, so at lunch I decided to go out and play a bit while it lasts. I put on my skins and spent a half hour skinning up and skin skiing down my front yard over and over again. It's not excessively steep or long, but enough that I can ski a few turns coming down when there's fresh snow. I think it at least helped to desensitize me a little to keep sliding straight down on my skins in control and without face planting. It could also be that it's way easier to accomplish these things without a heavy backpack throwing my balance off.. :rotf:

Well that sounds like a pretty darn good lunch break! You know, the progression here is to start skin skiing down with the risers up... :thumbsup:

ski skuhl

Angel Diva
Two comments: 1) I've read every word there is on the Backcountry Babes website and look forward to participating in a program with them! 2) I've been thinking that there could be a thread dedicated to skiing podcasts. Does one already exist?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Two comments: 1) I've read every word there is on the Backcountry Babes website and look forward to participating in a program with them! 2) I've been thinking that there could be a thread dedicated to skiing podcasts. Does one already exist?

I’m so excited to hear more divas wanting to do a program with them! :smile: They just started in the East a few years ago, so they are also just starting to have things set up for Northeast Alumni to be able to connect and/or meet up with other ladies for touring etc. Nice to get a network like that going and growing!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Came across this article about an online avy safety course and thought of this thread. I'm not particularly interested in backcountry (or cross country), but have paid attention to avalanche awareness in recent years as I started to ski more off-piste in-bounds. Makes me appreciate what ski patrol does every morning before the lifts open at big mountains, whether in the Rockies or in the northeast.

Since Alta is my favorite destination out west, I've always been aware of the effort that ski patrol goes to in order to minimize the chance of an in-bounds avalanche on open terrain. Even so, it still has happened.

March 7, Outside Online
Can You Learn Avalanche Safety Online?
Mountain guide Mark Smiley released a digital snow safety course. Here’s how it stacks up to the real thing.
https://www.outsideonline.com/2421294/online-avalanche-safety-course-mark-smiley

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think this is cool and opens up options for different types of learners and to glean tips from mentors. I know a lot of individuals who want to go out with my husband and me so we can teach them everything we know and to learn from us. Yet, we want to have ski days where we can also meet our ski objectives and are not suitable for all beginners. We also just got out a lot and studied the snow and terrain and how much we watch weather sites all season long. As we got better, we slowly pushed ourselves into more complex objectives. More experienced backcountry skiers saw that and realized we were doing the work and were willing to take us under their wing and knew we were capable. It is hard to take someone under your wing when you are not sure what their backcountry ski objectives are and their willingness to really understand what it takes to ski bigger lines in the backcountry. My perspective is they just want us to share all our intellectual knowledge so they can do it too, not realizing the years of learning and experience we went through to get to that level. It won't happen overnight. I have tried to convey that but I don't know if it really hits home. Even for me, I bet I would gain some wisdom from his courses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna