• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: What was your experience like in an AIARE 1 class?

MissySki

Angel Diva
As I've mentioned elsewhere on the forum, this weekend is finally go time for my AIARE 1 class. I am WAY more nervous than I thought I'd be.. I'm wondering all sorts of things like if I'll be able to stay warm enough with the weather coming into Mount Washington tomorrow, if I'll be able to ski the terrain without too much trouble with a large backpack I'm not used to having on my back, if I'll have the stamina to get through 2 full days with lots of hiking (cardio is NOT my strong point), etc.. I also have a somewhat irrational fear about having to use the bathroom on the mountain, which I know I have to get over in general.. I'm okay with having to pee, but anything else is just a bit mindboggling with thoughts of achieving such feats on skis. So I really really hope that can be avoided in a class setting, but obviously not something you can fully control for when out for 8 hours.. :frown:

Basically I'm also chastising myself on why I didn't do more skinning (with weighted backpack) to prepare for this?!!? I did ski my backcountry setup in the resort a handful of times for full days and feel very comfortable on it now after bringing them everywhere including bumps and trees etc., but now I'm wondering why I didn't decide to do more prep than that until now! Oh right because I'm a huge procrastinator! :loco: This is an all ladies class and some have done extensive touring and backcountry skiing while a couple have never done any at all. So I am hoping I'll at least just fall somewhere in between even though I'm on the really low experience side of things..

I'm hoping some others here might be able to put my mind at ease (or tell me I'm right to worry haha) on what your experiences were like when you did your AIARE 1 class. I don't feel like I have a great understanding of how much we'll actually be hiking (I know about how far it appears that we'll go for tomorrow anyway, but do you hike the whole way or stop a ton along the way??) versus standing around learning versus actually skiing etc.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've not taken one of these classes so have no advice about what will be asked of you.

However, I have a friend who has a great attitude about being at the bottom of the skill hierarchy in any group. She is very comfortable being at the bottom, and takes up new pursuits eagerly, expecting to be there, and expecting to be a low-skilled and awkward beginner.

She likes being that low-skilled-beginner because others' expectations of her stay low. The pressure to perform disappears. It's a relief not to have to deal with that pressure. Weird, huh? But it works for her. She proudly proclaims herself a slow-learning perpetual-beginner in her non-professional exploits.

She's an expert's expert in her profession, however, so she does not shy away from advancement in selected domains. She just likes being a beginner who is a slow learner in her "fun" activities. As a natural competitor in everything, I have always found her attitude refreshingly different. And admirable. I've given it a try in things I try as a beginner. She's right. It feels good to willingly embrace being at the bottom.

Is there anything in her attitude that might help you prepare emotionally as you get ready for this course?

Last edited:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've not taken one of these classes so have no advice about what will be asked of you.

However, I have a friend who has a great attitude about being at the bottom of the skill hierarchy in any group. She is very comfortable being at the bottom, and takes up new pursuits eagerly, expecting to be there, and expecting to be a low-skilled and awkward beginner.

She likes being that low-skilled-beginner because others' expectations of her stay low. The pressure to perform disappears. It's a relief not to have to deal with that pressure. Weird, huh? But it works for her. She proudly proclaims herself a slow-learning perpetual-beginner in her non-professional exploits.

She's an expert's expert in her profession, however, so she does not shy away from advancement in selected domains. She just likes being a beginner who is a slow learner in her "fun" activities. As a natural competitor in everything, I have always found her attitude refreshingly different. And admirable. I've given it a try in things I try as a beginner. She's right. It feels good to willingly embrace being at the bottom.

Is there anything in her attitude that might help you prepare emotionally as you get ready for this course?

I actually love that! I guess I've never really stopped and thought about allowing myself that space to learn without putting so much pressure with it. There is an anxiety for me at the thought of being the worst/slowest/weakest/failing etc. at something and holding everyone else in a class back because of it. I guess I should really think on why I have issues with allowing myself to be in this position of learning whereas I have no problem whatsoever with others in the class being in that position. I wouldn't be upset or judging them at all. Why do I hold myself to a different standard? Food for thought.. Thank you.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
My Avy 1 was a good 6 years ago now, but we just did not do that much skinning. It was a lot of standing around outside while we watched the guide demonstrate stuff and while people asked questions, and a lot of beacon drills, and little skinning & skiing. I would NOT worry about cardio unless your class is drastically different than mine. The guides will also know the best places to stand while they talk... places that are sheltered from the wind and all that. If you're freezing you will def not be the only one who's freezing and the guides will handle it as best they can (which is usually pretty well in my experience).

I too share your fear of pooping in the woods, but I cannot recommend anything other than an early wakeup, enough coffee, and a wag bag in your backpack just in case. :smile:

You'll have fun! It's a full weekend but a cool experience.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Side note... if you were a guy, would you EVER question yourself in this way? I saw this is an all women class, so consider how much baggage y'all are bringing with you.
:wink:

Sounds like you have enough to carry without that baggage. Right?
You got this.
:party:

ddskis

Certified Ski Diva
Agree- u got this!! I love the beginner perspective and no pressure as noted; gotta think some more on that. And also agree that it’s great it’s all ladies!
Will be looking forward to reading how it all goes. Have fun!!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let us know how the course goes!

No real words of wisdom, as I'm another one who fears being the worst, slowest or the one who doesn't "get" something, but it sounds like others above have offered good advice in that department.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@MissySki fwiw re #2 I always take baby wipes in a bigger zip lock baggie which actually can have a multitude of uses ;) you will be fine, enjoy the class !
I am taking the class with @MissySki - we will bring up the rear together, or maybe I will do one of my characteristic “fall on the flats” moves to lower the bar even further :tongue:
Baby wipes - that is a great idea! Dang - if anywhere is open tomorrow am to get some, I am stopping.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not an Avi course but a similar situation. Several years ago when first learning to ski in powder my DH and I joined with some other in a guided tour group. I was definitely the last/slowest (many falls). I decided I was going to skip out on the afternoon so as not to keep slowing everyone down. I was immediately approached by several other members of the group and asked not to quit as they were barely keeping up and needed the rest. I didn't quit the group and by the end of the day had mastered (at least somewhat) powder and we we waiting for others in the group instead of me.
Moral: don't worry about being the weakest/slowest/last.

Tvan

Angel Diva

I love this!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m utterly exhausted, but it was a good day. I wasn’t really thinking that on the hike up the Tuckerman Ravine trail though! Lol Skiing on the Sherby was so much fun, we had a nice powder day with snow the entire time we were out. It was supposed to change to rain, but thank goodness for weathermen being wrong! Thank goodness for all of my mogul skiing this season too because there were a lot of them and they were a bit more taxing after the hike up and with a big backpack.

Oh and I discovered that I do not like “skin skiing”! A small incline or straight down okay, but we did some crazy winding area and I went ass over tea kettle twice lol. It’s definitely not as easy to get up from a fall without your heels held down either omg! I’m told it’s a necessary skill I should practice to get comfortable with..

Tomorrow we hit the Cog! Hoping for some views since we had none at all today.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki did you skin all the way to the bowl today?

We skinned up to Hermit Lake and had lunch on a sheltered porch there, then continued up. Once we hit the top of tree line the wind was insane and the snow was very scoured wind slab. We backtracked there and went to the Sherby at that point stopping for snow pit instruction and companion rescue practice several times along the way. It really is amazing how different the snow is on the sheltered trail versus something just a 1/2 mile up from it. It’s like a whole different world. I sure do want to go back and hike up there in the summer now too, this was my first time ever on Mount Washington.

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read this in awe of you, to be honest. I had to climb up a hill a few weeks ago because I didnt trust myself to maneuver it safely, and quickly realized that for me, skiing should always be a downhill sport. climbing up is utterly exhausting!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I feel your pain about free heeled downhill in AT bindings. One time, many moons ago, when I skinned up, used ski crampons, and finally hiked the last bit on left gully, I forgot to lock down for the descent. Those first 2 turns were the scariest I had every made. No skins, but super scary nevertheless.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We skinned up to Hermit Lake and had lunch on a sheltered porch there, then continued up. Once we hit the top of tree line the wind was insane and the snow was very scoured wind slab. We backtracked there and went to the Sherby at that point stopping for snow pit instruction and companion rescue practice several times along the way. It really is amazing how different the snow is on the sheltered trail versus something just a 1/2 mile up from it. It’s like a whole different world. I sure do want to go back and hike up there in the summer now too, this was my first time ever on Mount Washington.
Go up on a bluebird Saturday in May. The Tuckerman Trail will be crowded. You'll blast by all the others in boots. Watch the fun from the bottom of the bowl. Climb up and ski if you like. It's a worthy enterprise. That's my user image up there, climbing the bowl.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skinning on small downhills gets easier and is a bit fun. Don't lean forward and stay centered on the ski.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna