• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What type of skier are you? [Funny]

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the other hand, I recently had a lcl strain that put me out for three weeks. I always do my own tuning and adjusting. Set my new Squires to the same din as my old Markers, they didn't release, and ow! Took em to the shop, they tested and reset them, way worth the money! Learned my lesson!

Is the DIN indicator accurate? They can be off, which could explain it. Then there's also the AFD or whatsit .. other considerations.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our local shop is pretty cool about setting the DIN however I want. The order form has a space for it, and also serves as the waiver form, which everyone has to sign anyway.

I have mine set lower than the recommended setting. Actually, it's a bit complicated. My recommended setting according to height is two notches higher than the setting according to weight. You're supposed to use whichever is lower, but the shop insists on using the height setting, so I split the difference. Various mishaps have proven that this setting is perfect for me, and the torque test ensures that I get the same "setting" every season.

Of course I go in as soon as they open for the season, and they get it done pretty much on the spot, so maybe I'm type 6. :becky:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the other hand, I recently had a lcl strain that put me out for three weeks. I always do my own tuning and adjusting. Set my new Squires to the same din as my old Markers, they didn't release, and ow! Took em to the shop, they tested and reset them, way worth the money! Learned my lesson!

Thats pretty much how I sprained my MCL. Turns out adjusting bindings isnt as easy as I thought!

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Is the DIN indicator accurate? They can be off, which could explain it. Then there's also the AFD or whatsit .. other considerations.
The shop told me the Squire springs were tighter than the Marker System bindings were to start with, plus the Markers were five years old, used about forty times a year! And my K2 Free Luvs were the most forgiving skis ever made. But now that I've experienced my Yumis, the K2s are banished forever!

lisamamot

Angel Diva

Given when you go to a demo the rep uses a screw driver and sets the DIN based on your card and the indicator, I would hope it is relatively safe to trust the indicator.

I read what seemed to be a very thorough article about how to set the forward pressure on the Attack binding (there are 6 lines, 3 should be showing with the boot engaged). When I was in a shop getting a demo I watched him set the forward pressure, and he was quite lax. I actually asked about it and he said "oh, you just need to see some of them". Based on that experience, my attention to detail is better than some shops!

https://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/how-to-adjust-your-tyrolia-ski-bindings/

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given when you go to a demo the rep uses a screw driver and sets the DIN based on your card and the indicator, I would hope it is relatively safe to trust the indicator.
Well, I assume the bindings on the demo skis are brand new and tested at the factory. Also, for rentals in general, binding manuals describe how to check the bindings every season, if not more often. Hard to know if they do that, of course, as you said:

Based on that experience, my attention to detail is better than some shops!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you could always trust indicators, they wouldn't have to do a release check every time they change something.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
If you could always trust indicators, they wouldn't have to do a release check every time they change something.
Not sure what the indicator is for then? It must give a reasonable ball park. I have not done it yet, but I do believe people swap skis and adjust DIN themselves quite often. Shop charges $15-$20 for that which adds up even if you only share once and then put it back - on one pair of skis, let alone two. Given I could probably ski a DIN anywhere from 5-7, I feel like I have enough wiggle room to account for a margin of error. I could be wrong.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure what the indicator is for then? It must give a reasonable ball park. I have not done it yet, but I do believe people swap skis and adjust DIN themselves quite often. Shop charges $15-$20 for that which adds up even if you only share once and then put it back - on one pair of skis, let alone two. Given I could probably ski a DIN anywhere from 5-7, I feel like I have enough wiggle room to account for a margin of error. I could be wrong.

Sure. It depends on how conservative you are. The indicator is used at least as a ballpark, then you can release test. But I have heard of cases when the indicator slips over time. I'm no expert. I've never adjusted a binding myself. I'm not arguing that it's cheap or that you have to do it. It's just that you're accepting more risk.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to clarify, @lisamamot, the binding indicator does not actually measure the release value, like the indicator on a fire extinguisher or a speedometer. It just moves up and down as you turn the screw, so it only tells you how far the springs are compressed. When the bindings are new, the indicators are reasonably accurate, but as the springs wear down with use, they become less accurate. Rust is another huge factor in weakening the springs, theoretically to the point of breaking when too much pressure is applied. Rust also jams the release mechanism, as can the absence of lubricants. The hinges and the casing can become distorted or cracked, further shifting the value.

I think the binding torque test is one tuning expense that cannot be substituted with DIY. Binding torque tests are not that expensive, like US$25 per pair, once a season. Considering how much we spend on food on the mountain, that's nothing. I've easily spent more on french fries the children won't finish.

If you like to change your DIN settings depending on the terrain, you can have the shop test them at all the settings you like to use. I don't know what they would charge for that, but they can tell you, like, "if you want DIN=6, make sure the indicator is on 6.75, and for DIN=5, use 5.5," or something like that.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Yikes, this thread took a tangent when I responded about the type I might fall into - not wanting to get docked for my age, and pondering if I should just tweak the darned thing myself instead of whining and signing a waiver.

Yes, I am curious why there is a DIN indicator when apparently it is subject to such fault.

Yes, I understand equipment degrades with age.

Yes, my skis get tuned and checked more than once a year, and set by a professional with all their glorious machines. I don't shirk that cost at all, but if I was sharing a ski with someone with a slightly different DIN, but same BSL, that would be a serious investment at $30 a pop.

Yes, I have thought about tweaking DIN, but I have never had DIN relations, lol.

No, I do not always trust the shops, nor the machines and supposed thorough testing - my daughter got new boots last year, they set and tested her binding with the new boot. After she skied for the second day on her newly tested skis, and went to get out of her skis, the back of the binding fell off. Turns out they actually could not be adjusted for the new BSL and had to be remounted.

Sorry for my part in the DIN setting hijack of what was a cute and funny thread!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is not my skier type, but my shop type.

Via the Pug crew, I became acquainted with Doug, who works at a shop in Breck. Doug provides fantastic tunes and miraculous repairs. I think for him it's art, and certainly a point of pride. Ever since I got to know him, I leave my skis for him to work on. He's in the shop in the evenings, mostly after they've closed.

There's a new guy at the shop. When I dropped off my skis, he asked what sort of work I needed.

"Oh, I'm just leaving these for Doug."
"Okay, what do you need done?"
"I'll let Doug figure it out."
"So ..."
"Doug will look at them, and then call me if he needs to ask me anything. But pretty I just trust him to do what needs doing."
"Oh." Pause. "Okay ... uh ... I guess you'll pay when you pick up, huh?"

I'm probably not conveying it well, but it was funny to watch the confusion in the new guy's face. I know I'm not the only person who does this, though. He'll get used to it.

And I'm glad I have Doug. He's going to fix this disintegrating core shot repair for me.
20170101_150928 (1).jpg

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
Just to clarify, @lisamamot, the binding indicator does not actually measure the release value, like the indicator on a fire extinguisher or a speedometer. It just moves up and down as you turn the screw, so it only tells you how far the springs are compressed. When the bindings are new, the indicators are reasonably accurate, but as the springs wear down with use, they become less accurate. Rust is another huge factor in weakening the springs, theoretically to the point of breaking when too much pressure is applied. Rust also jams the release mechanism, as can the absence of lubricants. The hinges and the casing can become distorted or cracked, further shifting the value.

I think the binding torque test is one tuning expense that cannot be substituted with DIY. Binding torque tests are not that expensive, like US$25 per pair, once a season. Considering how much we spend on food on the mountain, that's nothing. I've easily spent more on french fries the children won't finish.

If you like to change your DIN settings depending on the terrain, you can have the shop test them at all the settings you like to use. I don't know what they would charge for that, but they can tell you, like, "if you want DIN=6, make sure the indicator is on 6.75, and for DIN=5, use 5.5," or something like that.[/

AdkLynn

Certified Ski Diva
@Fluffy Kitty , Great comment ! I always thought I knew my din setting, but after my lcl injury I realized there is more to it! The torque test for me was way worth the money, I trust my local shop, my knee is worth more than twenty five bucks!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry for my part in the DIN setting hijack of what was a cute and funny thread!
Me, too. I guess I am another "type": Spends more time nerding out about DIN settings (and waxing, and edge tuning, and pole length, and goggle VLT, etc.) than actually skiing.

@AdkLynn and @newboots, thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna